Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 better value than P5B-E

Last response: in Motherboards
January 10, 2007 5:51:34 PM

I am building a new system for the first time in a lot of years. I have narrowed my motherboard choices down to 2: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 or ASUS P5B-E. The last system I built had an ASUS (P2B-F, that will tell you how long ago). Other computers I've had have been from large-scale OEMs. I have pored through all the benchmarks and reviews on a lot of sites. I am seeking a mainstream system. Will probably perform a basic overclock of the CPU but am not going aggressive. I do mostly office applications-type work, but I am usually doing concurrent media stuff in the background. I am planning on a Core 2 Duo, probably E6300 or E6400 due to the ease of overclocking that particular chip without much danger. Other initial intentions are: 1 SATA HD, 7200 RPM; 1 graphics card, not planning on SLI or Crossfire now or in the future; onboard audio and gigabit will be fine and I know the audio codec on the ASUS is considered universally better. I am not going to be attempting a RAID configuration initially. The benchmarks seem to suggest the Gigabyte performs better and seems to be a little cheaper. I also see that the MSI P965 Platinum is a decent performer, but I find a lot of people who say MSI's boards are likely to be bad; a lot of reveiws on NewEgg, for example. Any first-hand feedback on these 2 boards would be great.

Regards,
Dan

More about : gigabyte 965p ds3 p5b

January 11, 2007 12:52:41 AM

I would go for the Gigabyte MB as it has solid caps, is a good performer and quality build.

Also, even though I rate ASUS as great MB's, they do seem to be going to a cheaper look and build over the last couple of years.

If you look at the way they are built, there seems to be less care taken, eg. two new ASUS MB's I have purchased recently had caps that were leaning over a fair bit. Looked like when packed and handled, they must have held the MB and a couple of caps at the same time, to place in antistatic bag.

Also, some caps were soldered in place flush to board (OK), and others had over a mm gap, ie. no consistant care taken, just "slap bang" assembled :roll:
a b V Motherboard
January 11, 2007 1:11:21 AM

DS3 is very nice, i was an early adopter who got a rev1 board. the rev2 boards are even better. no more ram issues and many more fan headers. only downside is the lack of IEEE 1394 and esata. My next build will either be DQ6 or P5b-e becuase i need that connector...
Related resources
January 11, 2007 2:11:56 AM

Quote:
I am building a new system for the first time in a lot of years. I have narrowed my motherboard choices down to 2: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 or ASUS P5B-E. The last system I built had an ASUS (P2B-F, that will tell you how long ago). Other computers I've had have been from large-scale OEMs. I have pored through all the benchmarks and reviews on a lot of sites. I am seeking a mainstream system. Will probably perform a basic overclock of the CPU but am not going aggressive. I do mostly office applications-type work, but I am usually doing concurrent media stuff in the background. I am planning on a Core 2 Duo, probably E6300 or E6400 due to the ease of overclocking that particular chip without much danger. Other initial intentions are: 1 SATA HD, 7200 RPM; 1 graphics card, not planning on SLI or Crossfire now or in the future; onboard audio and gigabit will be fine and I know the audio codec on the ASUS is considered universally better. I am not going to be attempting a RAID configuration initially. The benchmarks seem to suggest the Gigabyte performs better and seems to be a little cheaper. I also see that the MSI P965 Platinum is a decent performer, but I find a lot of people who say MSI's boards are likely to be bad; a lot of reveiws on NewEgg, for example. Any first-hand feedback on these 2 boards would be great.

Regards,
Dan

The P5B-E is an upgraded P5B, and overclocks a about ~30 mhz or so higher than the DS3. That being said, the DS3 is a great value, I totally agree, and solid-state capacitors is a nice feature. However, ASUS quality in Intel boards has always been unparalleled. They can produce 100 crappy AMD boards (and believe me, they have), but they will probably still reign among the best Intel boards.
January 11, 2007 2:13:32 AM

Quote:
DS3 is very nice, i was an early adopter who got a rev1 board. the rev2 boards are even better. no more ram issues and many more fan headers. only downside is the lack of IEEE 1394 and esata. My next build will either be DQ6 or P5b-e becuase i need that connector...

Weilin, you should try and overclock the FSB on your motherboard (just set the multiplier down and see the highest FSB speeds you can reach. I am in a dilemma as to which of the boards I should purchase for my next build; more FSB = more Ghz for an E4300/E6300.
a b V Motherboard
January 11, 2007 11:02:35 PM

i still have a rev1 of the ds3.. the rev 2 may overclock much better. I know i hit 333 no problems (cpu hit 80c though..). Never went much higher, i suspect around 400.
January 11, 2007 11:20:17 PM

Quote:
i still have a rev1 of the ds3.. the rev 2 may overclock much better. I know i hit 333 no problems (cpu hit 80c though..). Never went much higher, i suspect around 400.

Have you updated BIOS? Just set the CPU multiplier really low (like 3x), and see how high the chipset will go.
a b V Motherboard
January 11, 2007 11:30:08 PM

got it to 380 with no voltage increase. bios F8. Can't do much more as the old ds3s northbridge is hot as hell. Infact, the DS3 rev2 has a connector for northrbidge fan if u choose to get 1... I'd mess with it more, but dont have the time now.
January 11, 2007 11:55:00 PM

p5b-e

and i totally agree with ak47is1337 on his remarks about intel boards...

tho i dont want to believe the amd part ><
January 12, 2007 12:17:00 AM

i have a ds3 & an e6300, rev 1, f8 bios, running at 2.8, 400 fsb, no problems at all.
January 12, 2007 12:23:32 AM

Quote:
got it to 380 with no voltage increase. bios F8. Can't do much more as the old ds3s northbridge is hot as hell. Infact, the DS3 rev2 has a connector for northrbidge fan if u choose to get 1... I'd mess with it more, but dont have the time now.

Try mounting a fan on it. I've also heard stories of hitting 520's on Biostar 965PT boards when the chipset is heavily cooled with a new heatsink.
January 12, 2007 12:24:37 AM

Quote:
i have a ds3 & an e6300, rev 1, f8 bios, running at 2.8, 400 fsb, no problems at all.

Try the F9.
January 12, 2007 12:26:36 AM

Quote:
p5b-e

heh, didn't mean to diss your build or anything. My friend bought an A8N-SLI (despite my warnings and my insistance on getting an A8N32-SLI.) It is the biggest piece of junk ever. The BIOS is a joke, and it barely runs the right speeds on everything. Considered one of the worst AMD boards ever made, but people still buy it because it has the letters "A-S-U-S" on it and because it's expensive. On the flipside, my other friend got the P5W DH DELUXE and it's a fantastic board in every respect as far as I see. Good overclocker too.
a b V Motherboard
January 12, 2007 1:02:48 AM

can't this model doest support screws into the northbridge (the rev2 boards do though...). I would have to replace the whole thing.. and since i had used artic silver thermal adhesive to attach the fan to the NB... i dont think im doing this mod soon...
January 12, 2007 1:11:27 AM

I bought a P5B-E a month and a half ago, along with an E6300 and some PC5400 Corsair RAM. Be warned that the P5B-E doesn't allow you to push your memory very hard because of its low voltage max on the memory (2.1 or 2.2, depending on the rev). And if you plan on much overclocking at all, you'll need faster RAM due to the low multiplier of the E6300 (I didn't tinker with the FSB:memory ratio on the P5B-E, so I can't speak to that).

Also, the P5B-E is misadvertised as using the ICH8R southbridge--it's actually the ICH8, which is inferior. I ended up returning mine mainly for that reason.

If you plan to use integrated sound, the P5B-E is a bad choice, too. It has terrible static, even at low volumes.

I usually like ASUS, but this board gave me problems. I just bought a P5N-E SLI. I don't plan on using the SLI, but it's getting great reviews as an overclocker, and the price is lower.

Good luck.
January 12, 2007 5:02:12 AM

Quote:

Regards,
Dan

I just did a google and there were reports of resistor problems with the rev 1 Gig MB that was corrected with the rev 2 boards.

Anyone heard of this :?:
January 12, 2007 4:13:51 PM

what will the f9 give me? thanks
January 12, 2007 4:50:57 PM

Quote:
Also, the P5B-E is misadvertised as using the ICH8R southbridge--it's actually the ICH8, which is inferior. I ended up returning mine mainly for that reason.

Are you sure about this? I was considering the P5B-E for the ICH8R feature. Every mobo spec list I've seen advertises it having the -R southbridge including the Asus website. If you are correct, I'll have to look for another board.
January 12, 2007 5:10:53 PM

Lol i was about to buy it cause the southbridge chipset was ICH8R, are you sure about the chipset being ICH8? maybe Asus messed up somewhere on your mobo...
January 12, 2007 5:58:31 PM

I'm a big fan of the DQ6. It has better OC options, better cooling, and ICH8R.
January 12, 2007 6:00:58 PM

[/u]
Quote:
p5b-e

heh, didn't mean to diss your build or anything. My friend bought an A8N-SLI (despite my warnings and my insistance on getting an A8N32-SLI.) It is the biggest piece of junk ever. The BIOS is a joke, and it barely runs the right speeds on everything. Considered one of the worst AMD boards ever made, but people still buy it because it has the letters "A-S-U-S" on it and because it's expensive. On the flipside, my other friend got the P5W DH DELUXE and it's a fantastic board in every respect as far as I see. Good overclocker too.

Poor Hardware reviews are to blame as well. Most of them read more like product brochures as of late, and not actual hardware reviews.
January 12, 2007 6:05:45 PM

Unfortunately, no, they didn't misconfigure my P5B-E. I contacted ASUS directly, and without any explanation, they said the boards are SUPPOSED to have the ICH8. They gave me an RMA number after I complained, but I wasn't sure if they were planning to simply re-solder a new southbridge or what, so I RMA-ed it with Newegg for a refund, instead.

You would think they would update their website (and all the retailers' sites, too), since they certainly know by now that they are misadvertising the board.

Trust me, steer clear of the P5B-E. Not necessarily ASUS, but the P5B-E.
January 12, 2007 6:29:08 PM

Quote:

Try the F9.

I saw that the F9 BIOs support 1333FSB but only for rev 3.3? I havent seen any boards with that revision on their website for the P965.

Are they just not out yet?
!