Slow boot after SP2

Greetings:

I have a relatively new Dell P4 Intel 2.8GHz 512RAM 80GB drive with tons of
free space. I also use XP Home. I recently upgraded to SP2 with no
problems. As soon as SP2 was installed, I went and took whatever security
updates were available on MS support. Again, no problems. However, now my
computer boots slower than normal. It goes to the screen showing users
quickly, but when I select me as the user, it takes quite some time to load
in the desktop icons. The drive must be busy doing something else, thus the
slow load of my icons. I checked startup in msconfig and removed a lot of
the useless apps.

Can anyone help?

Earl Chapman
Montreal, Canada
5 answers Last reply
More about slow boot

    "Earl Chapman" <earl.chapman@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >I have a relatively new Dell P4 Intel 2.8GHz 512RAM 80GB drive with tons of
    >free space. I also use XP Home. I recently upgraded to SP2 with no
    >problems. As soon as SP2 was installed, I went and took whatever security
    >updates were available on MS support. Again, no problems. However, now my
    >computer boots slower than normal. It goes to the screen showing users
    >quickly, but when I select me as the user, it takes quite some time to load
    >in the desktop icons. The drive must be busy doing something else, thus the
    >slow load of my icons. I checked startup in msconfig and removed a lot of
    >the useless apps.

    See "Resources for Troubleshooting Startup Problems in Windows XP"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308041).

    --
    (tm)

    Don't think that resource will help. My computer eventually loads in all
    the icons, and when I say they are delayed, I just mean about 1 minute. But
    this is slower than before I installed SP2. Maybe this is normal with SP2.

    Regards,
    Earl Chapman

    "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > "Earl Chapman" <earl.chapman@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a relatively new Dell P4 Intel 2.8GHz 512RAM 80GB drive with tons
    >>of
    >>free space. I also use XP Home. I recently upgraded to SP2 with no
    >>problems. As soon as SP2 was installed, I went and took whatever security
    >>updates were available on MS support. Again, no problems. However, now
    >>my
    >>computer boots slower than normal. It goes to the screen showing users
    >>quickly, but when I select me as the user, it takes quite some time to
    >>load
    >>in the desktop icons. The drive must be busy doing something else, thus
    >>the
    >>slow load of my icons. I checked startup in msconfig and removed a lot of
    >>the useless apps.
    >
    > See "Resources for Troubleshooting Startup Problems in Windows XP"
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308041).
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

    Have you defragged the hard drive since upgrading to SP2? The upgrade
    leaves a lot of fragmentation.

    "Earl Chapman" <earl.chapman@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Don't think that resource will help. My computer eventually loads in all
    > the icons, and when I say they are delayed, I just mean about 1 minute.
    > But this is slower than before I installed SP2. Maybe this is normal with
    > SP2.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Earl Chapman
    >
    > "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
    >> "Earl Chapman" <earl.chapman@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a relatively new Dell P4 Intel 2.8GHz 512RAM 80GB drive with tons
    >>>of
    >>>free space. I also use XP Home. I recently upgraded to SP2 with no
    >>>problems. As soon as SP2 was installed, I went and took whatever
    >>>security
    >>>updates were available on MS support. Again, no problems. However, now
    >>>my
    >>>computer boots slower than normal. It goes to the screen showing users
    >>>quickly, but when I select me as the user, it takes quite some time to
    >>>load
    >>>in the desktop icons. The drive must be busy doing something else, thus
    >>>the
    >>>slow load of my icons. I checked startup in msconfig and removed a lot
    >>>of
    >>>the useless apps.
    >>
    >> See "Resources for Troubleshooting Startup Problems in Windows XP"
    >> (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308041).
    >>
    >> --
    >> (tm)

    AumHa Forums (cleanup after SP2 install)
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7265&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Have you defragged the hard drive since upgrading to SP2? The upgrade
    > leaves a lot of fragmentation.

    > "Earl Chapman" <earl.chapman@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > Don't think that resource will help. My computer eventually loads in all
    > > the icons, and when I say they are delayed, I just mean about 1 minute.
    > > But this is slower than before I installed SP2. Maybe this is normal with
    > > SP2.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Earl Chapman
    > >
    > > "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message

    > >> See "Resources for Troubleshooting Startup Problems in Windows XP"
    > >> (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308041).
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> (tm)

    I found that my pc was slow to boot after loading SP2. I use a programe
    called xp tuner this improvedboot up without any noticeable problems. this is
    a freeby and can be down loaded from the internet www.neikeisoft.de. hope
    this helps

    "Byte" wrote:

    > AumHa Forums (cleanup after SP2 install)
    > http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7265&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    > > Have you defragged the hard drive since upgrading to SP2? The upgrade
    > > leaves a lot of fragmentation.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    > > (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    > > "Earl Chapman" <earl.chapman@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > > Don't think that resource will help. My computer eventually loads in all
    > > > the icons, and when I say they are delayed, I just mean about 1 minute.
    > > > But this is slower than before I installed SP2. Maybe this is normal with
    > > > SP2.
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > > Earl Chapman
    > > >
    > > > "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message