Change mode, native vs mixed

Wes

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002

I want to promote my domain to native W2K mode, it is currently in mixed
mode. All of the servers are 2K or 2K3. I've read many times that the
change is irreversible but there have been no comments about any problems
with this change.

1st ?: Is there any reason not to convert to native mode if all of my
servers are 2k or better?

2nd ?: Are there any problems that may occur with this change... any
connections that will break or anything?

So long as all of your domain controllers are running Windows 2000 or
better, you can switch to native mode pretty much with impunity. Mixed mode
is only required if you are still supporting NT 4 Backup Domain Controllers
on your network - you can even still have NT 4 workstations or member
servers after the switch to native mode, just as long as all of your NT 4
domain controllers have been upgraded or decomissioned.

(That said, I'd be remiss in not urging you to have a valid backup of your
Active Directory system state before making the switch - just in case a herd
of crazed wildebeasts stampedes your server room just as you hit the "Switch
to native mode" button or something.)

--
Laura E. Hunter
Author: _Active Directory Consultant's Field Guide_
(http://tinyurl.com/7f8ll)

All information provided "AS-IS", no warranties expressed or implied.
Replies to newsgroup only.