why not 10 layer DVD

Tags:
  • Optical Media
  • DVD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 10, 2007 7:24:31 PM

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5656
why not someone come up with 10 layer DVD that perhaps 40 USD drive can read if:
1) one of the advantage of HD-DVD is the cost of manufacturing is quite low
2) the undertainty of winning format make consumer reluctant to make 500 USD drive investment.

More about : layer dvd

a b G Storage
January 10, 2007 8:13:30 PM

Quote:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5656
why not someone come up with 10 layer DVD that perhaps 40 USD drive can read if:
1) one of the advantage of HD-DVD is the cost of manufacturing is quite low
2) the undertainty of winning format make consumer reluctant to make 500 USD drive investment.

the read times would be crap for one, and it would require all new drives, why not just update everything at once and goto hd-dvd or blueray, cheaper and largr storage ;) 

on the other hand when u scratch the disk thats 100x more dense data wise then a cd do you loose 100x the data? 8O
January 10, 2007 9:02:21 PM

Quote:
undertainty

That is the best made-up word I have ever read. Congratulations!

Now, what is it supposed to mean?

I think the thread topic is daft - and your logic non-existent - but nice word!
Related resources
January 10, 2007 11:07:04 PM

1) the read times would be crap for one, and it would require all new drives, why not just update everything at once and goto hd-dvd or blueray, cheaper and largr storage . Do you think the current HD drive can read a 10 layer HD disc if they arrive. You will ahve to upgrade too. The pint is that although I do not have exact number but the cost of producing DVD would be appealing as the seemingly only appeal of HD compared to Blue ray.

2) on the other hand when u scratch the disk thats 100x more dense data wise then a cd do you loose 100x the data? I do not understand this, what would happen to a HD disc if it is scratched.

3) To Mobius : If you laugh at person for mistyping one word, I would imagine you are realy perfect man. Nice person!
a b G Storage
January 11, 2007 2:24:26 PM

all persons on forums suck as tese, will pick on yuo for mystyping or mispleling words.

its a fack of life.
!