basic vs dynamic disks

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 7, 2005 5:44:03 AM

I apologize for being so dense. I've read about basic & dynamic disks, but I
don't understand that which I have read.

I have a computer with removable hard disk drives [ HDDs ]. 1 runs Win XP
Pro Sp1; the other Win 2000 Pro SP4. The HDD racks are set as primary master
& 2ndary master. The CD burner & DVD burner are set as slaves.

Both HDDs are WD 80 GB, 8 MB.

With Win 2000 as the primary master & Win XP as 2ndary master, in "my
computer", all partitions of the both HDDs appear.

With Win XP as the primary master & Win 2000 as 2ndary master, in "my
computer", only the Win XP partitions appear.

Disk management identifies both drives.

With Win 2000 as primary master, both HDDs are "basic".

With Win XP as primary master, both HDDs are "basic". If I convert the Win
2000 HDD to a dynamic drive, will the Win 2000 drive still boot? I have read
"basic storage vs dynamic storage in Win XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...b;EN-US;q314343

and "what's the difference between basic & dynamic disks .. ."

http://www.petri.co.il/difference_b...p_2000_2003.htm

"Dynamic vs basic storage in Win 2000"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=175761 has me concerned that if I convert
the Win 2000 disk to dynamic, it may not boot.

WARNING: Upgrading a disk to dynamic storage will render the entire disk
unreadable to operating systems other than Windows 2000. This is a one-way
process. In order to change back to basic disk format, the drive must be
repartitioned.

I'm unable to understand the information.

Thanks for your help.

WC

More about : basic dynamic disks

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 12:18:30 PM

In a nutshell, Basic is a plain every day partition, dynamic may be used
to "merge" partitions. You don't want to use dynamic in your situation.

Wiley C wrote:

> I apologize for being so dense. I've read about basic & dynamic disks, but I
> don't understand that which I have read.
>
> I have a computer with removable hard disk drives [ HDDs ]. 1 runs Win XP
> Pro Sp1; the other Win 2000 Pro SP4. The HDD racks are set as primary master
> & 2ndary master. The CD burner & DVD burner are set as slaves.
>
> Both HDDs are WD 80 GB, 8 MB.
>
> With Win 2000 as the primary master & Win XP as 2ndary master, in "my
> computer", all partitions of the both HDDs appear.
>
> With Win XP as the primary master & Win 2000 as 2ndary master, in "my
> computer", only the Win XP partitions appear.
>
> Disk management identifies both drives.
>
> With Win 2000 as primary master, both HDDs are "basic".
>
> With Win XP as primary master, both HDDs are "basic". If I convert the Win
> 2000 HDD to a dynamic drive, will the Win 2000 drive still boot? I have read
> "basic storage vs dynamic storage in Win XP"
> http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...b;EN-US;q314343
>
> and "what's the difference between basic & dynamic disks .. ."
>
> http://www.petri.co.il/difference_b...p_2000_2003.htm
>
> "Dynamic vs basic storage in Win 2000"
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=175761 has me concerned that if I convert
> the Win 2000 disk to dynamic, it may not boot.
>
> WARNING: Upgrading a disk to dynamic storage will render the entire disk
> unreadable to operating systems other than Windows 2000. This is a one-way
> process. In order to change back to basic disk format, the drive must be
> repartitioned.
>
> I'm unable to understand the information.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> WC
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 3:07:02 PM

Bob:
Thanks.

What can I do to get my Win XP hard disk drive to read my Win 2000 hard disk
drive?

WC

"Bob I" wrote:

> In a nutshell, Basic is a plain every day partition, dynamic may be used
> to "merge" partitions. You don't want to use dynamic in your situation.
>
> Wiley C wrote:
>
> > I apologize for being so dense. I've read about basic & dynamic disks, but I
> > don't understand that which I have read.
> >
> > I have a computer with removable hard disk drives [ HDDs ]. 1 runs Win XP
> > Pro Sp1; the other Win 2000 Pro SP4. The HDD racks are set as primary master
> > & 2ndary master. The CD burner & DVD burner are set as slaves.
> >
> > Both HDDs are WD 80 GB, 8 MB.
> >
> > With Win 2000 as the primary master & Win XP as 2ndary master, in "my
> > computer", all partitions of the both HDDs appear.
> >
> > With Win XP as the primary master & Win 2000 as 2ndary master, in "my
> > computer", only the Win XP partitions appear.
> >
> > Disk management identifies both drives.
> >
> > With Win 2000 as primary master, both HDDs are "basic".
> >
> > With Win XP as primary master, both HDDs are "basic". If I convert the Win
> > 2000 HDD to a dynamic drive, will the Win 2000 drive still boot? I have read
> > "basic storage vs dynamic storage in Win XP"
> > http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...b;EN-US;q314343
> >
> > and "what's the difference between basic & dynamic disks .. ."
> >
> > http://www.petri.co.il/difference_b...p_2000_2003.htm
> >
> > "Dynamic vs basic storage in Win 2000"
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=175761 has me concerned that if I convert
> > the Win 2000 disk to dynamic, it may not boot.
> >
> > WARNING: Upgrading a disk to dynamic storage will render the entire disk
> > unreadable to operating systems other than Windows 2000. This is a one-way
> > process. In order to change back to basic disk format, the drive must be
> > repartitioned.
> >
> > I'm unable to understand the information.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > WC

September 12, 2005 6:57:42 PM

No idea, as playing flip flop with the harddrives as you are doing is
not something I would try. maybe someone else can talk you thru it.

Wiley C wrote:

> Bob:
> Thanks.
>
> What can I do to get my Win XP hard disk drive to read my Win 2000 hard disk
> drive?
>
> WC
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>In a nutshell, Basic is a plain every day partition, dynamic may be used
>>to "merge" partitions. You don't want to use dynamic in your situation.
>>
>>Wiley C wrote:
>>

>>>I apologize for being so dense. I've read about basic & dynamic disks, but I
>>>don't understand that which I have read.
>>>
>>>I have a computer with removable hard disk drives [ HDDs ]. 1 runs Win XP
>>>Pro Sp1; the other Win 2000 Pro SP4. The HDD racks are set as primary master
>>>& 2ndary master. The CD burner & DVD burner are set as slaves.
>>>
>>>Both HDDs are WD 80 GB, 8 MB.
>>>
>>>With Win 2000 as the primary master & Win XP as 2ndary master, in "my
>>>computer", all partitions of the both HDDs appear.
>>>
>>>With Win XP as the primary master & Win 2000 as 2ndary master, in "my
>>>computer", only the Win XP partitions appear.
>>>
>>>Disk management identifies both drives.
>>>
>>>With Win 2000 as primary master, both HDDs are "basic".
>>>
>>>With Win XP as primary master, both HDDs are "basic". If I convert the Win
>>>2000 HDD to a dynamic drive, will the Win 2000 drive still boot? I have read
>>>"basic storage vs dynamic storage in Win XP"
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...b;EN-US;q314343
>>>
>>>and "what's the difference between basic & dynamic disks .. ."
>>>
>>>http://www.petri.co.il/difference_b...p_2000_2003.htm
>>>
>>>"Dynamic vs basic storage in Win 2000"
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=175761 has me concerned that if I convert
>>>the Win 2000 disk to dynamic, it may not boot.
>>>
>>>WARNING: Upgrading a disk to dynamic storage will render the entire disk
>>>unreadable to operating systems other than Windows 2000. This is a one-way
>>>process. In order to change back to basic disk format, the drive must be
>>>repartitioned.
>>>
>>>I'm unable to understand the information.
>>>
>>>Thanks for your help.
>>>
>>>WC

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 2:52:19 PM

I'm getting a little unsure about the subject of this post. You started
off by asking about the properties of basic vs. dynamic disks, and
some respondents gave you an answer. You now ask "What can I
do to get my Win XP hard disk drive to read my Win 2000 hard disk "

- What exactly to you mean with "WinXP hard disk to read my
Win2000 hard disk"? Disks don't read disks!
- Do you actually have a problem with one OS not seeing
a disk formatted by another OS? If so then I recommend
you report exactly what your setup is, rather than asking
a hypothetical question.

"Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Bob:
> Thanks.
>
> What can I do to get my Win XP hard disk drive to read my Win 2000 hard
disk
> drive?
>
> WC
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>
> > In a nutshell, Basic is a plain every day partition, dynamic may be used
> > to "merge" partitions. You don't want to use dynamic in your situation.
> >
> > Wiley C wrote:
> >
> > > I apologize for being so dense. I've read about basic & dynamic
disks, but I
> > > don't understand that which I have read.
> > >
> > > I have a computer with removable hard disk drives [ HDDs ]. 1 runs Win
XP
> > > Pro Sp1; the other Win 2000 Pro SP4. The HDD racks are set as primary
master
> > > & 2ndary master. The CD burner & DVD burner are set as slaves.
> > >
> > > Both HDDs are WD 80 GB, 8 MB.
> > >
> > > With Win 2000 as the primary master & Win XP as 2ndary master, in "my
> > > computer", all partitions of the both HDDs appear.
> > >
> > > With Win XP as the primary master & Win 2000 as 2ndary master, in "my
> > > computer", only the Win XP partitions appear.
> > >
> > > Disk management identifies both drives.
> > >
> > > With Win 2000 as primary master, both HDDs are "basic".
> > >
> > > With Win XP as primary master, both HDDs are "basic". If I convert the
Win
> > > 2000 HDD to a dynamic drive, will the Win 2000 drive still boot? I
have read
> > > "basic storage vs dynamic storage in Win XP"
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...b;EN-US;q314343
> > >
> > > and "what's the difference between basic & dynamic disks .. ."
> > >
> > > http://www.petri.co.il/difference_b...p_2000_2003.htm
> > >
> > > "Dynamic vs basic storage in Win 2000"
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=175761 has me concerned that if I
convert
> > > the Win 2000 disk to dynamic, it may not boot.
> > >
> > > WARNING: Upgrading a disk to dynamic storage will render the entire
disk
> > > unreadable to operating systems other than Windows 2000. This is a
one-way
> > > process. In order to change back to basic disk format, the drive must
be
> > > repartitioned.
> > >
> > > I'm unable to understand the information.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help.
> > >
> > > WC

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 2:52:20 PM

From what I gather is that he is switching drives around using caddies
and the "master/slave" relationship is changing. That's when I bailed.

Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

> I'm getting a little unsure about the subject of this post. You started
> off by asking about the properties of basic vs. dynamic disks, and
> some respondents gave you an answer. You now ask "What can I
> do to get my Win XP hard disk drive to read my Win 2000 hard disk "
>
> - What exactly to you mean with "WinXP hard disk to read my
> Win2000 hard disk"? Disks don't read disks!
> - Do you actually have a problem with one OS not seeing
> a disk formatted by another OS? If so then I recommend
> you report exactly what your setup is, rather than asking
> a hypothetical question.
>

>>drive?
>
> "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Bob:
>>Thanks.
>>
>>What can I do to get my Win XP hard disk drive to read my Win 2000 hard
>
> disk
>
>>drive?
>>
>>WC
>>
>>"Bob I" wrote:
>>

>>>In a nutshell, Basic is a plain every day partition, dynamic may be used
>>>to "merge" partitions. You don't want to use dynamic in your situation.

> disks, but I

> XP

> master

> Win

> have read

> convert

> disk

> one-way

> be

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 8:27:02 PM

Dear P & BI:
I apologize for the confusion.

Each HDD is jumpered as a master, with slave present. This does not change.

The computer uses IDE primary and 2ndary channels. On each channel, as a
slave is an optical drive. This does not change.

With Win 2000 Pro as primary master IDE drive & Win XP Pro as 2ndary master,
I boot to Win 2000 Pro. When I open "my computer" [ or "windows explorer" ],
I see and can access all of the data on the Win 2000 HDD & the Win XP HDD.

With the Win XP Pro as primary master IDE drive & Win 2000 pro as 2ndary
master, I boot to Win XP Pro. When I open "my computer" [ or "windows
explorer" ], I see and can access off the data on the Win XP HDD. The Win
2000 HDD partitions do not appear.

Booting to Win 2000 or Win XP, if I go into Disk Management, both HDDs are
listed. The Win XP drive is listed as "basic" and the Win 2000 Pro drive is
listed as "basic".

Again, I apologize for the confusion. I use Vi Power mobile racks [
www.vipower.com ].

What do I need to do to be able to see the data on my Win 2000 HDD when I
boot to Win XP? [ Win XP as primary master & Win 2000 as 2ndary master. ]

Sincerely,
WC

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> I'm getting a little unsure about the subject of this post. You started
> off by asking about the properties of basic vs. dynamic disks, and
> some respondents gave you an answer. You now ask "What can I
> do to get my Win XP hard disk drive to read my Win 2000 hard disk "
>
> - What exactly to you mean with "WinXP hard disk to read my
> Win2000 hard disk"? Disks don't read disks!
> - Do you actually have a problem with one OS not seeing
> a disk formatted by another OS? If so then I recommend
> you report exactly what your setup is, rather than asking
> a hypothetical question.
>

> > drive?
> "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Bob:
> > Thanks.
> >
> > What can I do to get my Win XP hard disk drive to read my Win 2000 hard
> disk
> > drive?
> >
> > WC
> >
> > "Bob I" wrote:
> >
> > > In a nutshell, Basic is a plain every day partition, dynamic may be used
> > > to "merge" partitions. You don't want to use dynamic in your situation.

> disks, but I

> XP
> master

> Win
> have read

> convert

> disk
> one-way
> be

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 1:58:09 PM

It seems you're doing most of the right things. However, there
is one vital piece of information missing. You write:

> Booting to Win 2000 or Win XP, if I go into Disk Management, both HDDs are
> listed. The Win XP drive is listed as "basic" and the Win 2000 Pro drive
is
> listed as "basic".

What you do not write is if the Win2000 drive has a drive
letter assigned to it. Which one? If not, have you tried assigning
one?

P.S. It would be nice if you could respond promptly. It takes
me a fair amount of time to re-familiarise myself with your issue
when you wait five days to reply to my response.

> Dear P & BI:
> I apologize for the confusion.
>
> Each HDD is jumpered as a master, with slave present. This does not
change.

> The computer uses IDE primary and 2ndary channels. On each channel, as a
> slave is an optical drive. This does not change.
>
> With Win 2000 Pro as primary master IDE drive & Win XP Pro as 2ndary
master,
> I boot to Win 2000 Pro. When I open "my computer" [ or "windows
explorer" ],
> I see and can access all of the data on the Win 2000 HDD & the Win XP HDD.
>
> With the Win XP Pro as primary master IDE drive & Win 2000 pro as 2ndary
> master, I boot to Win XP Pro. When I open "my computer" [ or "windows
> explorer" ], I see and can access off the data on the Win XP HDD. The Win
> 2000 HDD partitions do not appear.
>
> Booting to Win 2000 or Win XP, if I go into Disk Management, both HDDs are
> listed. The Win XP drive is listed as "basic" and the Win 2000 Pro drive
is
> listed as "basic".
>
> Again, I apologize for the confusion. I use Vi Power mobile racks [
> www.vipower.com ].
>
> What do I need to do to be able to see the data on my Win 2000 HDD when I
> boot to Win XP? [ Win XP as primary master & Win 2000 as 2ndary master. ]
>
> Sincerely,
> WC
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>
> > I'm getting a little unsure about the subject of this post. You started
> > off by asking about the properties of basic vs. dynamic disks, and
> > some respondents gave you an answer. You now ask "What can I
> > do to get my Win XP hard disk drive to read my Win 2000 hard disk "
> >
> > - What exactly to you mean with "WinXP hard disk to read my
> > Win2000 hard disk"? Disks don't read disks!
> > - Do you actually have a problem with one OS not seeing
> > a disk formatted by another OS? If so then I recommend
> > you report exactly what your setup is, rather than asking
> > a hypothetical question.
> >

> > > drive?
> > "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Bob:
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > What can I do to get my Win XP hard disk drive to read my Win 2000
hard
> > disk
> > > drive?
> > >
> > > WC

> > disks, but I

Win
> > XP
> > master

> > Win
> > have read

> > convert

> > disk
> > one-way
> > be

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 1:58:10 PM

P:
When I boot to Win 2000, yes, the partition on the HDD that has Win 2000
installed on it has a drive letter, "C:" . The partitions of the Win XP
drive have drive letters.

When I boot to Win XP, the partitions of the HDD with Win XP install the
paritions have drive letters assigned, "C:" , "F:", & "G:". The partition of
the Win 2000 drive does not have a drive letter assigned.

In "disk management", if I right click on the drive, my choices are
"properties" and "convert to dynamic disk" and "help". If I right click on
the partition, my option is "delete partition".

The short answer to your question is "NO".

WC

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> [...]
> > www.vipower.com ].
> >
> > What do I need to do to be able to see the data on my Win 2000 HDD when I
> > boot to Win XP? [ Win XP as primary master & Win 2000 as 2ndary master. ]
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > WC
> >
> > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm getting a little unsure about the subject of this post. You started
> > > off by asking about the properties of basic vs. dynamic disks, and
> > > some respondents gave you an answer. You now ask "What can I
> > > do to get my Win XP hard disk drive to read my Win 2000 hard disk "
> > >
> > > - What exactly to you mean with "WinXP hard disk to read my
> > > Win2000 hard disk"? Disks don't read disks!
> > > - Do you actually have a problem with one OS not seeing
> > > a disk formatted by another OS? If so then I recommend
> > > you report exactly what your setup is, rather than asking

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 5:32:41 PM

Your right-click menu contains far fewer items than my own right-click
menu. I wonder if your partition type is different from what it should
be. I recommend you use a partition table editor to have a closer
look at this:
1. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com.
2. Run ptedit.exe from
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/p...
3. Have a look at the types of your various partitions. What are they?

If the type of your problem partition is different from that of
the other partitions then you can change it here. The change
is harmless as you can easily reverse it in a subsequent
session (as long as you make a note of the original type number!).

> [...]
> > >
> > > With the Win XP Pro as primary master IDE drive & Win 2000 pro as
2ndary
> > > master, I boot to Win XP Pro. When I open "my computer" [ or "windows
> > > explorer" ], I see and can access off the data on the Win XP HDD. The
Win
> > > 2000 HDD partitions do not appear.
> > >
> > > Booting to Win 2000 or Win XP, if I go into Disk Management, both HDDs
are
> > > listed. The Win XP drive is listed as "basic" and the Win 2000 Pro
drive
> > is
> > > listed as "basic".
> > >
> > > Again, I apologize for the confusion. I use Vi Power mobile racks [
> > > www.vipower.com ].
> > >
> > > What do I need to do to be able to see the data on my Win 2000 HDD
when I
> > > boot to Win XP? [ Win XP as primary master & Win 2000 as 2ndary

November 27, 2012 9:39:55 AM

Quote:

[...]

The basic disk deals with partitions but the dynamic disks deals with volumes
basic disk has two partitions thus: primary and the extended partions
whiles the dynamic disks has span, mirrored and others they require Two identical disk and sizes it provides fault tolerance and can span on the two disk and it uses the drives effectively up to 100% if one drive stops working the other can support the machine till u replace the disk it is mostly done in server environment

WC

!