Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which one i choose ? PC 4200 x PC5300

Last response: in Memory
Share
January 10, 2007 7:27:07 PM

Hi dudes...

i´m not sure about my CPU yet, i don´t know if i go with Intel or AMD.
But .. if i choose intel, it will be Core 2 Duo 775 or if i choose AMD, it will be Atlhon X2 AM2.

For each CPU choise ... which DDR2 frequency do u guys choose ?
PC4200 533 or PC5300 667
i will put 2 x 512 mb DDR2 ...

hmm another question Samsung, Kingston or Corsair ?

thx for helping :) 

More about : choose 4200 pc5300

January 10, 2007 7:56:58 PM

First get a Core 2 if you are looking to spend $180+ on your CPU

Second get the 667 so that you can overclock more easily and have the ability to get a 1333 FSB Core 2 later

Third if you can afford it you should up to 2x1GB, especially if you are even considering Vista

Fourth I'm partial to Corsair but Kingston has a good rep too
January 10, 2007 8:00:35 PM

for now i just can buy 1 gb ... and it will be for a long time hehehe

and i will not OC, so 667 will give a better performance then 533 ?!?!
i will put 2 x 512 because it will give a better performance then 1 x 1 gb .. i guess .. not so much ... but it will be better. In my case its better, because i will not buy + 1gb RAM so early ...
Related resources
January 10, 2007 8:59:51 PM

nesso, where are you from? I am not familiar with the way you used the notation "x". I believe you intended to say "vs." As in "PC 4200 vs. PC5300". Hopefully that will clear that up before every 14yo AOLer in the world starts using "x" instead of "vs." and plunges the english language into further depths of ambigious and mis-used termonology hell xD

The AM2 processor will need the faster RAM to get max performance. The C2D will overclock easier with faster ram. Unless you're going for a budget system the C2D with DDR2 667 or faster and Overclock it is really the way to go.

With dual cores and that much processing power you may be quite tempted to start multi tasking... and then 1gb won't be enough. Just a warning from personal experience ;)  (what do you mean I can't play WoW 2x at once while folding protiens, running emule, ventrillo, and web browsing? MY CPU is barely even maxed out! Oh... I have like 400mb of Memory paging from HD.)
January 10, 2007 9:10:46 PM

Quote:
nesso, where are you from? I am not familiar with the way you used the notation "x". I believe you intended to say "vs." As in "PC 4200 vs. PC5300". Hopefully that will clear that up before every 14yo AOLer in the world starts using "x" instead of "vs." and plunges the english language into further depths of ambigious and mis-used termonology hell xD

The AM2 processor will need the faster RAM to get max performance. The C2D will overclock easier with faster ram. Unless you're going for a budget system the C2D with DDR2 667 or faster and Overclock it is really the way to go.

With dual cores and that much processing power you may be quite tempted to start multi tasking... and then 1gb won't be enough. Just a warning from personal experience ;)  (what do you mean I can't play WoW 2x at once while folding protiens, running emule, ventrillo, and web browsing? MY CPU is barely even maxed out! Oh... I have like 400mb of Memory paging from HD.)


haahaha sry ... !! yes.. i mean "vs." .. i´m from brazil .. for me both means the same thing.

Unfortunally i can´t buy 2 gb ram this time, i don´t have enought cash to buy and here in brazil the prices is not so low like US hehehe.
So i choose a 2 x 512 mb than 1 x 1 Gb because, like i mentioned in the last post, i will not buy another 1 Gb so early ... hehhe

And i dont abuse of multi tasking ... one point is the network connection, here in brazil if u are download .. forget about gaming hahahaha
January 10, 2007 9:47:58 PM

Quote:
and i will not OC, so 667 will give a better performance then 533 ?!?!


No, but if you upgrade to a later Core 2 with a 1333Mhz FSB then you will be able to easily use the same RAM, also if you change your mind about overclocking later then you are already set

Quote:
i will put 2 x 512 because it will give a better performance then 1 x 1 gb .. i guess .. not so much ... but it will be better. In my case its better, because i will not buy + 1gb RAM so early ...


2x512MB is a better short term setup than 1x1GB but using 1GB sticks will allow for more expansion later. Since you are short on cash then the 2x512 is better, but I would put a 2x1GB set fairly high on the upgrade list (3GB isn't really neccesary now but Vista will be much happier with it and it will be a better expenditure than a second pair of 512's)
January 10, 2007 10:00:49 PM

Quote:
and i will not OC, so 667 will give a better performance then 533 ?!?!


No, but if you upgrade to a later Core 2 with a 1333Mhz FSB then you will be able to easily use the same RAM, also if you change your mind about overclocking later then you are already set

Quote:
i will put 2 x 512 because it will give a better performance then 1 x 1 gb .. i guess .. not so much ... but it will be better. In my case its better, because i will not buy + 1gb RAM so early ...


2x512MB is a better short term setup than 1x1GB but using 1GB sticks will allow for more expansion later. Since you are short on cash then the 2x512 is better, but I would put a 2x1GB set fairly high on the upgrade list (3GB isn't really neccesary now but Vista will be much happier with it and it will be a better expenditure than a second pair of 512's)

for intel and amd ? both of them ?
really thanx for the explanation!

just one thing that u guys .. just one answered ...
which one do u prefer: Kingston, Corsair or Samsung ?
January 10, 2007 10:30:19 PM

No problem. I am very happy to help people from all over the world :) 

2x512mb vs. 1x1gb is a hard call right now. You can't go too horribly wrong either way, but 512mb modules are on the way out. You will get better performance for now, that is true, but you might have to pay more for ram later to get 2x1gb or 2x512mb then you would for one more 1x1gb. Just as long as you're aware of that you should be fine getting 2x512mb if you want it. The difference in performance between 1 module of DDR2 667 vs 2xDDR2 533 won't be that big for a most applications, so don't stress it too much. Personally I would get 1x1gb DDR2 800 if I were you and get another 1gb when I could afford it and thought I needed it, but the difference it makes should not be too big in performance or money for most applications.

You should seriously consider OCing the C2D. A small OC would be easy and give you more memory bandwidth too (which could make up for not having dual channel which could save you money and put you in a better position to upgrade in the future by buying a single 1gb ram card isntead of two 512mb).
January 10, 2007 10:55:39 PM

Quote:
and i will not OC, so 667 will give a better performance then 533 ?!?!


No, but if you upgrade to a later Core 2 with a 1333Mhz FSB then you will be able to easily use the same RAM, also if you change your mind about overclocking later then you are already set

Quote:
i will put 2 x 512 because it will give a better performance then 1 x 1 gb .. i guess .. not so much ... but it will be better. In my case its better, because i will not buy + 1gb RAM so early ...


2x512MB is a better short term setup than 1x1GB but using 1GB sticks will allow for more expansion later. Since you are short on cash then the 2x512 is better, but I would put a 2x1GB set fairly high on the upgrade list (3GB isn't really neccesary now but Vista will be much happier with it and it will be a better expenditure than a second pair of 512's)

for intel and amd ? both of them ?
really thanx for the explanation!

Once again I would strongly suggest Intel, but if you want to go AMD I would put a tentative suggestion out for 800 instead of 667, but it probably will be barely worth the price.

Quote:
just one thing that u guys .. just one answered ...
which one do u prefer: Kingston, Corsair or Samsung ?


I do not know the reputation of Samsung but both Corsair and Kingston have strong reputations so whichever one of those two that is cheaper should do it.
January 11, 2007 8:42:22 AM

Quote:
No problem. I am very happy to help people from all over the world :) 

2x512mb vs. 1x1gb is a hard call right now. You can't go too horribly wrong either way, but 512mb modules are on the way out. You will get better performance for now, that is true, but you might have to pay more for ram later to get 2x1gb or 2x512mb then you would for one more 1x1gb. Just as long as you're aware of that you should be fine getting 2x512mb if you want it. The difference in performance between 1 module of DDR2 667 vs 2xDDR2 533 won't be that big for a most applications, so don't stress it too much. Personally I would get 1x1gb DDR2 800 if I were you and get another 1gb when I could afford it and thought I needed it, but the difference it makes should not be too big in performance or money for most applications.

You should seriously consider OCing the C2D. A small OC would be easy and give you more memory bandwidth too (which could make up for not having dual channel which could save you money and put you in a better position to upgrade in the future by buying a single 1gb ram card isntead of two 512mb).


i read here at TGz that 667 memory will work fine for new intel processors ... what do u say about that ? i just read it.
1 module 667 vs 2x module 667 ... the 2x would be better ?
January 11, 2007 5:56:34 PM

DDR2 533 in Dual channel provides enough bandwidth to feed the 1066mhz C2D FSB. Single channel ram running slower than 533mhz (DDR2 1066) does not. How much this affects performance depends on the application you are running.

Dual Channel DDR2 533 is the most effecient option if you aren't OCing for a 1066mhz FSB C2D.
Dual Channel DDR2 667 will give a very slight perforamance boost without OCing and provide some overhead to OC the CPU without OCing the RAM and will support a 1333mhz FSB CPU at full speed in the future if you upgrade*.
Running DDR2 533, 667, or 800 in single channel will result in the lowest performance levels (latencies being held equal) in any application where the lower memory bandwidth becomes a bottleneck (with a good GFX card and a C2D this means: most games).

If you're sure you only want 1gb RAM a good option would be 2x512mb DDR2 667 run them in dual channel and OC the CPU by 25% with 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio. Don't have to buy fancy RAM because you're not OCing it and you get 25% more FSB bandwidth and CPU power, should be a very easy OC. Here's a little guide that tells how:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/04/overclocking_gui...

*I almost always buy CPU and Mobo together and personally wouldn't spend more on a system just to support a future CPU upgrade. It's easier to buy them in pairs and costs less up front. Also, I don't have CPU without mobo sitting around collecting dust.
!