Hardware: Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard BIOS ver 1303
AMD 3800+ x2 64 Processor
2x 1GB Matched pair OCZ RAM
Audigy 2 ZS Audio Card
2x DVD-RW Drives
3x HDs (2 IDE, 1 SATA)
2x 7600GT Nvidia PCIe SLI-Ready GPUs
Power Supply: Hiper R-Type 480 Watt

Description: I can confirm each GPU card works independently of the other in both the primary and secondary PCIe slots (Blue and Black) indicating that both the cards are functioning. Both cards have BIOS capable of SLI Mode.

However when both cards are placed in the motherboard together (correctly seated, with the ribbon connecting the gold fingers). Windows XP does not detect the presence of a second 7600GT Video Card, and therefore SLI cannot be enabled.

I have the latest release of the Nvidia nForce 4 SLI platform driver (june 06) and the latest Nvidia sLI Driver (November 06).

I have tried all combinations of starting up with one card, then the other, both in primary and secondary slots but no progress. In the BIOS there is no option to enable SLI, only an option to set the order of preference of each SLI card and the speed (8x or 16x). No configuration that I have tried was successful.

Any help would be appreciated!

NOTE: the connecting ribbon has no indicator denoting orientation, I assume orientation is irrelevent?

edit : changed PCI-X to PCIe :p 
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
January 10, 2007 8:20:55 PM

Quote:
Product: ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe

Fault: SLI Not functioning

Hardware: Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard BIOS ver 1303
AMD 3800+ x2 64 Processor
2x 1GB Matched pair OCZ RAM
AUdigy 2 ZS Audio Card
2x DVD-RW Drives
3x HDs (2 IDE, 1 SATA)
2x 7600GT Nvidia PCI-X SLI-Ready GPUs
Power Supply: Hiper R-Type 480 Watt

Description: I can confirm each GPU card works independently of the other in both the primary and secondary PCI-X slots (Blue and Black) indicating that both the cards are functioning. Both cards have BIOS capable of SLI Mode.

However when both cards are placed in the motherboard together (correctly seated, with the ribbon connecting the gold fingers). Windows XP does not detect the presence of a second 7600GT Video Card, and therefore SLI cannot be enabled.

I have the latest release of the Nvidia nForce 4 SLI platform driver (june 06) and the latest Nvidia sLI Driver (November 06).

I have tried all combinations of starting up with one card, then the other, both in primary and secondary slots but no progress. In the BIOS there is no option to enable SLI, only an option to set the order of preference of each SLI card and the speed (8x or 16x). No configuration that I have tried was successful.

Any help would be appreciated!

NOTE: the connecting ribbon has no indicator denoting orientation, I assume orientation is irrelevent?

ISSUE: Im annoyed at the way your talking
SOLUTION: Get over it 8O

lol just kidding :D 

Change the card order? Are they the same brand?

And thats PCIe not PCIX btw
January 10, 2007 8:31:11 PM

yes, :)  sorry for the format of the post, it was intended for asus tech support but there seems to be a network problem between here and there, making it impossible for me to send it !

The cards are different brands, but identicle in other regards (same chip, same ram/clock speed)

I have tried all different orders and it did not help matters.

do you think it could be a power issue? 480W is probably just on the line.

edit: I tried booting into Linux to see what the hardware profiler of Suse10 would detect and only one card is present, indicating to me that the mobo is at fault somehow. I wonder if there is some part of the mobo i can check for damage to do with the bridge between the two PCIe slots?
Related resources
January 10, 2007 9:14:35 PM

I have seen this problem before on a troubleshoot. I can walk oyu through some of what I did but first need to find out what your system has other then what you listed. Send me an e-mail and i'll do my best to help with the problem.
I have the AMD ver. of the board so it should be a cake walk to get this done.

Maddie
January 10, 2007 9:41:23 PM

I found and fixed a similar prob. when I installed a 2nd 8800gtx after building and running my system on one. Basically, addocrding to device manager in wndows, it only saw the second card as a generic video card no matter how many times I installed the driver.
It only sorted itself out after I removed the first card, then reinstalled the nvidia driver, then reinstalled the first card.
It seems you need to have a copy of the driver installed for each video slot, and in order to install the driver for the second video card/slot, you need to physically remove the first card from the system temporarily.
January 10, 2007 9:41:24 PM

I had an Asus board same model as yours and it had a little tag in between the pcie slots wht you had to do to enable sli is to switch the tag around so that it enables both slots not just one. Hope this helps.
January 10, 2007 9:42:18 PM

i have the same board and you need to make sure that the chip that sits between the two pci-e slots is turned around to sli / two card mode. and you need to make sure you have a molex (4-pin) connector plugged into the slot right by the first pci-e lane. i was running dual 7900gs's before i got my current set-up (god bless evga and their step-up program!) and i forgot the asus chip between the cards and was similarly frustrated with my board till i read the manual and looked at the board...shows that you cant assume things even after building computers for 10 years!

if this doesnt work you might have the issue of different cards not being compatible. i had a buddy who had two 7600gt's from evga but one was the factory overclocked version and the other is vanilla version and they wouldnt work together, even if he underclocked the overclocked one or overclocked the vanilla one...asus boards are picky as hell about somethings and this might just be that issue.

good luck!

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD X2 4200+
2GB (2x1GB) G.Skill DDR400
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
evga 8800gts
3dmark03 - 22976
January 10, 2007 10:32:01 PM

Thanks to the last two posters, but this is the A8N32-SLI Deluxe.

On the 32 there is no card between the PCIe slots, it is automatically detected during boot whether there are two cards installed as far as I can tell.

What specifics of my hardware do you need to know?

edit: as for the 2nd card showing up as a generic card - no this is not the situation, there is simply no indication of a 2nd card existing in the first place, generic or otherwise.

Installing the Nvidia drivers twice, although fun, gets me nowhere :( 
January 11, 2007 2:42:22 PM

snap...the egg is on my face! :oops: 

my last piece of worthless advice is get matching cards from the same vendor...but then you will tell me that you tried that...and i will feel foolish all over again... 8O
October 20, 2009 8:37:17 PM

I know this is an old thread... However! I had the same exact problem. I had SLI. But only the one card registered. It was almost as if the other didn't exist. It didn't show up when i did a hardware profile. Nada. Then i followed the following procedure and it worked PERFECTLY. I'm pretty new to linux mind me.. (This was done on Ubuntu 9.04)

After installing drivers...
1. Pop into Terminal Or if you cant get there (won't fully boot. Errors in Xserver) Press CTRL+ALT+F6(then enter your username and password.
2. sudo nvidia-xconfig --sli=AFR (Options are Split frame rendering SFR Alternate frame rendering AFR and Anti alasing AA and AFRofAA Which i belive is AFR and AA AUTO OFF or ON which is pretty much the same as auto)
3.Restart X CTRL+ALT+Backspace

If that doesn't work. OR you get a black screen....

ALTERNATIVE After installing drivers...
1. Pop into Terminal Or if you cant get there (won't fully boot. Errors in Xserver) Press CTRL+ALT+F6(then enter your username and password.
2. sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
3. Within Xorg.config Add the lines that are in BOLD. (ctrl-o is to save and ctrl-x is to exit.)
4. Let r rip. You should now have fully functional SLI. I hope this helps anyone that has this problem.

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder62) Tue Sep 22 16:54:46 PDT 2009

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BusID "PCI:2:0:0" (NOTE For me it was PCI:1:0:0 sometimes its 3 If you get a black screen try differant ones)
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
Option "MultiGPU" "on"
Option "SLI" "on"
(on can be changed to AFR SFR AA AUTO OFF AND AFRofAA)
EndSection
!