Moving from xp home to pro

keith

Hello:

What is the methodology from "upgrading" a pc from xp home version to
professional version?

Thanks,

keith

Buy a retail XP Pro upgrade CD. Follow the instructions
which you can find on-line. You should find SP2 in the
stock on the shelf. One place, New Egg.com

Google for "upgrade xp home to pro" and you'll find a host
of articles.

"Keith" <kteicher@apk.net> wrote in message
| Hello:
|
| What is the methodology from "upgrading" a pc from xp home
version to
| professional version?
|
| Thanks,
|
| keith

Keith,
Please clarify your question as to what you want to accomplish/know. Do
you want to know why or how?

Keith wrote:
> Hello:
>
> What is the methodology from "upgrading" a pc from xp home version to
> professional version?
>
> Thanks,
>
> keith

keith

Thanks Jim:

Will any xp PRO upgrade work, or do I have to be careful to get XP 2, since
the home version is alreay xp2?

Thanks,

keith

> Buy a retail XP Pro upgrade CD. Follow the instructions
> which you can find on-line. You should find SP2 in the
> stock on the shelf. One place, New Egg.com
>
> Google for "upgrade xp home to pro" and you'll find a host
> of articles.

> "Keith" <kteicher@apk.net> wrote in message
> | Hello:
> |
> | What is the methodology from "upgrading" a pc from xp home
> version to
> | professional version?
> |
> | Thanks,
> |
> | keith

If you have SP2 on your system now, then you need to get the XP Pro with SP2
or uninstall SP2 from your system before the upgrade. Otherwise the
installer will stop you with the message that the version you are installing
older than the one on your system and refuse to proceed.

Boot up your XP Home, insert the XP Pro (upgrade or full) cd, and when the
splash screen appears choose Install. Be sure to remove sypware and viruses
first and a defrag of the hard drive is a good idea before you start.

> Thanks Jim:
>
> Will any xp PRO upgrade work, or do I have to be careful to get XP 2,
> since the home version is alreay xp2?
>
> Thanks,
>
> keith
>
> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>> Buy a retail XP Pro upgrade CD. Follow the instructions
>> which you can find on-line. You should find SP2 in the
>> stock on the shelf. One place, New Egg.com
>>
>> Google for "upgrade xp home to pro" and you'll find a host
>> of articles.
>>

>> --
>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>>

>> "Keith" <kteicher@apk.net> wrote in message
>> | Hello:
>> |
>> | What is the methodology from "upgrading" a pc from xp home
>> version to
>> | professional version?
>> |
>> | Thanks,
>> |
>> | keith

Since the Home version has SP2 you won't be able to use an
upgrade XP Pro unless it also has SP2.

Be sure to get current upgrade software.

"Keith" <kteicher@apk.net> wrote in message
| Thanks Jim:
|
| Will any xp PRO upgrade work, or do I have to be careful
to get XP 2, since
| the home version is alreay xp2?
|
| Thanks,
|
| keith

in message
| > Buy a retail XP Pro upgrade CD. Follow the instructions
| > which you can find on-line. You should find SP2 in the
| > stock on the shelf. One place, New Egg.com
| >
| > Google for "upgrade xp home to pro" and you'll find a
host
| > of articles.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "Keith" <kteicher@apk.net> wrote in message
| > | Hello:
| > |
| > | What is the methodology from "upgrading" a pc from xp
home
| > version to
| > | professional version?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > |
| > | keith
| > |
| > |

In news:uYsnMH8BFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Keith <kteicher@apk.net> typed:

> Will any xp PRO upgrade work, or do I have to be careful to get
> XP 2,
> since the home version is alreay xp2?

If you try to use a non-SP2 upgrade, it will fail, telling you
that the upgrade is an older version.

You have three choices, any of which will work:

1. The easiest is to buy a copy of Professional with SP2 included
(as you suggest).

2. If your Professional upgrade is without SP2, you can
incorporate SP2 into it by a process called slipstreaming. See
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262

3. You can also uninstall SP2, install the upgrade, then
reinstall SP2.

But are you sure you want to do this? Are you aware that XP Home
and Professional are identical except that Professional includes
a few features (mostly related to security and networking)
missing from Home? Most home users don't need and would never use
these extra features and will see no benefits by upgrading.

For details go to

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
connections, and Home only five.

Please reply to the newsgroup

| If you have SP2 on your system now, then you need to get the XP Pro with
SP2
| or uninstall SP2 from your system before the upgrade. Otherwise the
| installer will stop you with the message that the version you are
installing
| older than the one on your system and refuse to proceed.
|
| Boot up your XP Home, insert the XP Pro (upgrade or full) cd, and when the
| splash screen appears choose Install. Be sure to remove sypware and
viruses
| first and a defrag of the hard drive is a good idea before you start.
|
| --
| Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
| (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
| "Keith" <kteicher@apk.net> wrote in message
| > Thanks Jim:
| >
| > Will any xp PRO upgrade work, or do I have to be careful to get XP 2,
| > since the home version is alreay xp2?
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > keith
| >
| > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
| >> Buy a retail XP Pro upgrade CD. Follow the instructions
| >> which you can find on-line. You should find SP2 in the
| >> stock on the shelf. One place, New Egg.com
| >>
| >> Google for "upgrade xp home to pro" and you'll find a host
| >> of articles.
| >>

| >> --
| >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
| >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
| >>

| >> "Keith" <kteicher@apk.net> wrote in message
| >> |
| >> version to
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |

Another alternative is to slipstream SP2 into the Pro installer.

Yes, but simply making sure to buy Pro SP2 in the first place would be my
choice. I'm assuming some level of intimidation about the slipstreaming
process for many users.

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> Yes, but simply making sure to buy Pro SP2 in the first place would be my
> choice. I'm assuming some level of intimidation about the slipstreaming
> process for many users.

Agreed. No sense slipstreaming if you don't have to, even if you do know
what you're doing.

Keith wrote:

>What is the methodology from "upgrading" a pc from xp home version to
>professional version?

Get a retail Pro Upgrade CD; run it from the existing system, take
install, continue with Upgrade.

And first make sure you *need* facilities that are Pro only - aside from
them the systems are identical

I have similar problem. I just got a system with a XP Home and was trying to
upgrate to Pro but it told me that the version is older then i have on the
new system. The pro is a full version but about 2 years old. On the new
system i olso have the TV tuner so it has a Media version. What do i have to
do? Buy a new XP pro upgrade. Will the upgrade affect my media version?

"Alex Nichol" wrote:

> Keith wrote:
>

> >What is the methodology from "upgrading" a pc from xp home version to
> >professional version?
>
> Get a retail Pro Upgrade CD; run it from the existing system, take
> install, continue with Upgrade.
>
> And first make sure you *need* facilities that are Pro only - aside from
> them the systems are identical
>

> --
> Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies)
> Bournemouth, U.K. Alexn@mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

Hi,

You need to:

a) Start a new post, don't tag onto an old post.

b) create a slipstreamed version of XP Pro with SP2:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

The problem you are facing is that the installed version is at a service
pack level above the disk you are using.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Yarek" <Yarek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have similar problem. I just got a system with a XP Home and was trying
> upgrate to Pro but it told me that the version is older then i have on the
> new system. The pro is a full version but about 2 years old. On the new
> system i olso have the TV tuner so it has a Media version. What do i have
> do? Buy a new XP pro upgrade. Will the upgrade affect my media version?
>
> "Alex Nichol" wrote:
>
>> Keith wrote:
>>

>> >What is the methodology from "upgrading" a pc from xp home version to
>> >professional version?
>>
>> Get a retail Pro Upgrade CD; run it from the existing system, take
>> install, continue with Upgrade.
>>
>> And first make sure you *need* facilities that are Pro only - aside from
>> them the systems are identical
>>

>> --
>> Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies)
>> Bournemouth, U.K. Alexn@mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

What about that media version i have for TV tuner? will that be effected
since my pro version is not media version?Thanks a lot.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You need to:
>
> a) Start a new post, don't tag onto an old post.
>
> b) create a slipstreamed version of XP Pro with SP2:
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
>
> The problem you are facing is that the installed version is at a service
> pack level above the disk you are using.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Yarek" <Yarek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have similar problem. I just got a system with a XP Home and was trying
> > upgrate to Pro but it told me that the version is older then i have on the
> > new system. The pro is a full version but about 2 years old. On the new
> > system i olso have the TV tuner so it has a Media version. What do i have
> > do? Buy a new XP pro upgrade. Will the upgrade affect my media version?

> >> Get a retail Pro Upgrade CD; run it from the existing system, take
> >> install, continue with Upgrade.
> >>
> >> And first make sure you *need* facilities that are Pro only - aside from
> >> them the systems are identical
> >>

> >> --
> >> Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies)
> >> Bournemouth, U.K. Alexn@mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

Hi,

Is it WinXP Home or WinXP Media Center Edition? The former, along with
already installed software can be upgraded, the latter should not be as it
is a superset of Pro already.