Sign in with
Your question

Zalman 9700

Last response: in Overclocking
January 10, 2007 7:57:00 PM

Now I know that this is the best air cooler on the market. But im also aware that it weighs about 800g

Now intel (i think) says that the maximum recommended weight of a cooler on a CPU is about 450g.

Could putting one of these air cooling beasts on a CPU damage my motherboard or CPU?

~Apologies for noobness~

More about : zalman 9700

January 10, 2007 8:25:17 PM

I have had a 864gram Hyper 48 on my Asus P5GD1 for 2 years. It's not broken the board so far.

Instalation invovled a brace on the underside of the M/B.
January 10, 2007 9:55:50 PM

I'm not sure why Intel cares how heavy the cooler is, since most of them are mounted with the CPU vertical anyway, which would not place any weight load from the cooler onto the CPU. But anyway, most of the high-end coolers I've looked at have a backplate which will help keep the motherboard ridgid.

Once the system is in place, should be no problem at all.

The only risk would be in moving/transporting the system. You would probably want to lay the case on its side with the motherboard on the bottom. If you have it upright, I could see how a couple of big potholes could break your motherboard with that big cooler bouncing up and down and flexing the mobo.

PS - mine is arriving tomorrow :) 
Related resources
January 10, 2007 10:22:55 PM

If you're not moving your system around it shouldn't be a problem. But if you're the type of guy to do a lot of lanparty, I'd be cautious. When putting down the system, the weight of the fan is multiply by a lot if you let it go too fast. That's when it might break your mobo if unlucky.

Think of it as pushing a wall with your hand compare to punching it. Second one might very well break it, but pushing wouldn't be a problem unless you're very heavy :wink: .

Like EricT said, if moving it, put it on the side and back on the ground very carefully. You shouldn't have a problem if you do that.
January 11, 2007 2:11:09 AM

I have the 9500 and it has a backplate with it and it's just fine... it looks heavier than it is anyway
January 11, 2007 6:47:51 AM

yes, its is heavy, but not as mouch as you think. just dont go kicking/bumping the ase a lot, or using it for lan parties. As it has a backplate, that helps distribute the weight very well

it would also be perfectly fine if this was a desktop chassis/ht that lay horizontally
January 11, 2007 7:42:36 AM

I was looking at getting a Zalman 9700 after some reviews I read and one of them recommended to checkout their website to see if it would fit on your motherboard. I went to their website but the only list I could fid was for the 9500 and it said the list was from August 05. Can anybody point me to a current list?
January 11, 2007 7:58:50 AM

If you have a dremel and aren't afraid to use it then basically any mobo will work. That compatibility list just means that the backplate will fit over all the circuitry on the backside of the mobo in the area of the socket without touching anything but the plate can be fixed to work with any mobo. But really if I were you I'd save some money and get a Tuniq Tower 120. Works better for less, if you can't find that then a Scythe Infinity will work almost as good. Don't get me wrong, the Zalman is a good cooler, it's just way too overpriced.
January 11, 2007 8:13:01 AM

Quote:
If you have a dremel and aren't afraid to use it then basically any mobo will work. That compatibility list just means that the backplate will fit over all the circuitry on the backside of the mobo in the area of the socket without touching anything but the plate can be fixed to work with any mobo. But really if I were you I'd save some money and get a Tuniq Tower 120. Works better for less, if you can't find that then a Scythe Infinity will work almost as good. Don't get me wrong, the Zalman is a good cooler, it's just way too overpriced.

No, compatibility is weather the size of the heatsink interferes with any nearby capacitors, chipset hsinks, mosfets and like; if its a badly designed mobo, maybe even power conenctors and the ram modules.

normally most motherboards have no smd components in a sizeable radius surrounding the cpu socket on the reverse
January 11, 2007 10:37:33 AM

Quote:
Tuniq Tower 120>anything overpriced and overhyped Zalman.

Does anyone know where you can buy the Tuniq Tower 120 in the Uk?
January 11, 2007 11:36:20 AM

The only place I've come across one is at overclockers.co.uk
January 11, 2007 12:53:11 PM

yeah, i just found that, £34, not bad, still cheaper than the 9700 at £45!
January 11, 2007 3:40:43 PM

I got mine from NewEgg for $59, fairly comparable to the other ones I was looking at.
January 11, 2007 4:35:15 PM

The 9700 is far from being the best air cooler on the market.

Intel's specs are for their rather weak (IMO) mounting system (the 4 plastic push-pins). Most good heavy coolers come with a backing plate that mounts behind the motherboard (like others have noted). The cooler screws into that and is very secure. Cooler weight is not really an issue with this mounting method.
January 11, 2007 6:09:57 PM

Quote:
The 9700 is far from being the best air cooler on the market.

Is it really far from the best? The reviews I've read placed it among the best 2 or 3, if not the best. Not to get too far off topic, but your opinion diverges from the majority, and I'm interested to know your thinking and/or experience behind it.
January 11, 2007 6:34:38 PM

It's performance is decent, but it is usually priced way too high for what you get. The popular Scythes/Thermaltakes/Tuniqs/Thermalrights perform better at either the same cost or for less money. You can buy the original Scythe Ninja on Newegg right now for about $40 and it's performance is far above that of the Zalman 9700.

Don't get me wrong. Zalman makes a quality product. They just price them too high. The 9700 is worth $40-$50. Not the $60-$70 it's going for on Newegg. The 9500 was subject to the same problem. It was sold for about $55 and was bested by the Arctic Cooling Freezer series which could be had for less than $30.
January 11, 2007 7:28:40 PM

Hi Guys

Once again thanks for the good advice. I will try and track down the Tuniq and Scythe products in Australia. I was also looking at a Thermaltake Big Typhoon or a Coolmaster Eclipse.
January 11, 2007 7:39:56 PM

Hi Eckre

Thanks for pointing me to some charts. I will use them and see what I can find in Oz.
January 11, 2007 7:52:22 PM

Bah, the Zalman 9700 is still a very good cooler, if it is indeed expensive. Everyone loves bling anyway, especially if you've got a side windows to flex your bragging right.
January 11, 2007 8:18:10 PM

Quote:
Bah, the Zalman 9700 is still a very good cooler, if it is indeed expensive. Everyone loves bling anyway, especially if you've got a side windows to flex your bragging right.

Yeah, lets be fair, it looks fuckin sweet!
January 11, 2007 8:24:10 PM

That chart is only taking temperature into consideration and not price. That list would look very different if cost was taken into consideration. An item's price/performance ratio is the best way to determine it's value.

Quote:
Bah, and I will say it again, BAH! Shocked , that is a very unfair chart, as it only shows sh$t coolers and does not show a single scythe cooler, or a sunbeam cooler, or more than one thermalright cooler, or a bunch of other amazing coolers I could name that are better than the 9700 for less

There are several Scythes on the list. Unfortunately they are either very old or at the bottom of Scythe product line. Nearly the same case for Thermalright. Keeping the Ninja, Infinity, Mine, or Big Typhoon off of that list is a dis-service to hardware enthusiasts.

If looks mean that much to you, then by all means factor that into your buying decision as it's your money. Most overclocking enthusiasts do not give a damn about what it looks like.

BTW. Take a look at the only advertisement on FrostyTech's website. :wink:
January 11, 2007 8:51:30 PM

Well thanks everyone for your advice.

Seems like I have nothing to worry about, but I will be strongly considering the Tuniq Tower 120 instead now

:) 
January 11, 2007 8:59:34 PM

Dude, maybe you wanna ch :o  eck out your tower first. Do you have a side fan? If so, be sure that this thing wont fit it and you'll probably have to chose one of them. I had the 9500 and my 4400+ easily hit the 2.8ghz spot. Awesome design too. Don't get me wrong, my next rig will be powered with Scythe Infinity. Just consider what you really need, speed or appearance?!
January 11, 2007 9:09:49 PM

Quote:
Thank you anoobis, you just proved my point (you're in DaClan right, aren't you?)
That sight as I said is very one sided, and
Yeah, lets be fair, it looks ****** sweet!

Exactly my other point. Zalman knows people like you will go after looks over performance, and knows they can over price their stuff. I don't know what your tech level is, but its mainly only the noobs that go after the products like that that only look good and under perform their price level (kinda like comparing building a computer, and buying a simular model from dell [we're talking extreme build-not the cheap ones], you will end up paying an extra 500 just to use a dell case, I have checked because I have some rich friends that wanted to buy a custom xps, and I built a better computer for them for less.) Its all in the image when it comes to marketing, especially computer companies because they know how much money noobs waste on their stuff. While when having performance, looks don'tt matter, its about the price and what the price offers

Ok, just to clarify, I didnt say that I would go after looks over performance, I'm actually about to order a Tuniq Tower 120, I just think the 9700 looks far cooler, than my block-of-flats-a-like. I think your missing the point though somewhat. The Zalman maybe a little more than the others, but there is no denying it, the 9700 is a very capable CPU cooler. If I worked for Zalman and was giving the task of designing a cooler, I would choose function over design every time, no doubt, but if I could make it look freakin awesome, as well as making it do its job well then I would jump at the chance. If people want to pay a little more for a product that looks cool as well then why not?

There is no doubt about it, aesthetics is becoming more and more important in the computer world, I bet 10 years ago nearly all of the people who have posted in this thread owned a computer that was an unattractive beige box, in many ways Zalman have are actually ahead of the game, making a product that performs well and looks awesome, for that I cant blame them for charging a little more, if people want the looks they have the option of paying for them.

Finally: you have to remember, as with everything, people want their computers to impress others, you only have to look at the amount of praise
tool 462 got for his amazing homebuilt wooden case (http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Wood-complete-ftopict217098.html), and the amount of people who have their "e-penis" in their sig. Getting 10k in 3D Mark 06 will impress those on Tomshardware forum and other techheads but when it comes to having your real life mates around will they be more impressed by your 3d mark score or your UV lit water cooling system and 22 inch W.S monitor?

I dont believe that because I am willing to sacrifice a couple of extra MHZ overclock to make my system look like it was built by the gods it makes me look like anything like a "noob" (and lets face it, its not as if the difference between the Zalman and say, the Tuniq is going to increase my real world FPS by a massive amount) . Your right in what you say though, the 9700 is likely to attract those who dont know as much about what they are buying, but at the same time it does a very good job, and therefore, I cant find a way to criticise Zalman for it, as there is no 'con' involved.
January 11, 2007 9:36:29 PM

Quote:
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Zalman knows people will go after the lights instead of performance and puts a price tag on it. I can tell you from experiance how bad the zalman's are at cooling compared to others.

My amd 4000 idles at 40* and goes up to 53* on full load and that really scares me and that's with a 9500. Another guy with a 9700 could only get up to 3.4ghz stable on his 6400 with passable temps, while people with the tuniq tower can hit 3.6 safely with the same cpu. I have had a lot experience with these types of things, and I can try to help, but if you don't want to listen, that's your less

Both the 9500 and 9700 are perfectly good.
Maybe it isnt seated properly on your amd or the thermal paste isnt even.
My core 2 e6600 oc's to 2.8ghz from 2.4 runs at 37C idle, and abt 52C full load. When on stock, its 35C to 49C.

The 9500 has been used to overclock a pentium D 820 to over 3.4 ghz, its perfectly good.
January 11, 2007 9:50:39 PM

Ummm, sorry Tacos, but I've never played Halo before in my life. As far as DaClan, I visit Ninja's blog every now and then, but I don't think they consider me a member. I did however belong to a CS:S clan. One of the members used the very same avatar you have in our forum for the clan.

I'm simply following wusy's guidelines which is basically getting the best performance for your dollar, regardless of the brand. Aesthetics don't always adhere to that line of thinking. There have been times when I've seen Newegg run specials on the 9700 to where I would easily consider it if I was looking for a new cooler. Unfortunately it just isn't the norm. The 9500 however would seriously need to drop around $30 to even be considered as the Arctic Cooling Freezer series beats it on cost and performance. I was considerably upset when Scythe released the Ninja Plus Rev. B with the AM2 bracket. It was the same cooler as the original Ninja, they just added the AM2 bracket and jacked up the initial release price quite a bit. Luckily they brought it down and you can get it for about $45 these days.

Props out to you parge. I missed tool_462's post on the finished case. I was going to PM him about it. Thanks for the link. That thing looks sweet.
January 11, 2007 10:37:31 PM

I_love_tacos, I really disagree with you at all, the CNPS9700 is a great cooler. Performs really good. Is not $79.99 as you said it was, it actually has a discount of $20 making it $59.99 which is a deal.

BTW, I got mine for $57.99 1 week ago when the discount was $22
January 11, 2007 10:37:44 PM

Quote:
Dude, maybe you wanna ch :o  eck out your tower first.

Seconded right there. I had to settle with a Zalman because the Tuniq and Scythe models didn't fit inside.
January 11, 2007 10:57:00 PM

Quote:

Well maybe you're right. Anyway, mine arrived and I got it for $59. I'm fortunate enough that a CPU cooler does not represent a significant purchase for me, so $40 or $70 is OK as long as it does the job. Hopefully it will. My purchased was based in large part upon that review that was linked above, which seems totally objective, if not exhaustive (ie, they didn't test every cooler available).

I too started off with a short list of coolers based on Wusy's guide, then based on some feedback from this forum I looked at the 9700 and chose it over the others.

BTW, I am kind of a n00b, this is only the second system I built myself, and really only the first time building my main system (the first one was just for kicks with spare components I had laying around). And first time building with O/C in mind.

Thanks for the feedback on the other models, that will probably be helpful to many folks reading this.
January 12, 2007 12:36:39 AM

The Infinity is about the same price I believe $60 (correct me) and the ninja has already some time in the market. I really dont know about the tuniq tower. I really like the Zalman anyways
January 12, 2007 1:47:37 PM

Quote:
inifinity is a bit more than the Tuniq, I agree, but the performance in both dba and cooling kills any zalman out right now.

I too used to like zalman, that is until I saw some of the reviews of them compared to some I have talked about, and actually comparing my 9500 to the much cheaper ac 64 and getting bested by a long shot

I'd like to see the numbers you have to support your claims. This thread absolutely reeks of bias and unsubstantiated claims. Show me the numbers! Tell me what it means quantitatively when you say the 9500 was "bested by a long shot" by the AC64.

Over the last year, I've measured the performance of many of the most highly respected CPU HSFs. I see people ragging on Zalman left and right for being overpriced. I bought three 9500s and paid $41 to $45 shipped for them. I got a 9700 on Newegg for $45 shipped last Thanksgiving. My Tuniq Tower cost $60 shipped. Scythe Mine, Ninja Plus and Infinity were all over $60 shipped. I have gotten great deals on Arctic Cooling HSFs but they have not performed as well as even the 9500. The single best synthetic cooling test results I've gotten were from a Thermalright Ultra 120. This is using a precision regulated heater pumping a large insulated copper block that has a contact surface the size of a typical CPU. On actual running CPUs, the 9700, Tuniq and Ultra 120 have all performed within a degree or two of each other at load. I've used single core Opterons, dual core Opterons, a 4400+ and a P4 as testbeds, run stock and overclocked to different levels.

I know that many people love the Scythe HSFs but my results have not been as good as for the Tuniq, 9700 and Ultra 120. I simply cannot get the Mine and Infinity to measure up even to the Ninjs Plus and the NPlus is a couple or three degrees hotter at load than the 9700, Tuniq and Ultra.

I've found that you need to be careful mounting the really big HSFs like the Tuniq. This sucker is tall and heavy, so in a typical upright mobo case, it puts a big load on the mobo. Not only is the Tuniq over 100 grams heavier than the 9700, it's also more than a cm taller than the 9700 and has much more of its mass up high, so it puts way more torque on the mobo socket. So I have seen a Tuniq lose its contact quality over time in a synthetic low level vibration test. Anyway, there's alot to consider when buying a HSF and look around for the best price. In particular, Newegg has some great sales from time to time. Right now, they have the 9700 at $60 so it certainly is price competitive with the Tuniq and Ultra and takes up way less space than the Tuniq. If I had to choose just one and assuming all of the best cost $60, I'd go with the Thermalright.
January 12, 2007 3:16:02 PM

I installed my 9700 last night, and so far I'm pretty pleased with it. I have the fan at the minimum speed using the controller that comes with it. Getting around 33 idle and 43 running WoW. I ran dual Prime 95 for a *short* time and temps went up to around 47. Previously I was running around 48 idle with the stock cooler, so this is a big improvement for me.

I'm running my E6400 at 3.2 GHz (400 FSB). So far the only problem I had was missing some clicks and keystrokes from my wireless desktop. This morning I turned up the ICH voltage a notch, and it seems to be OK now.

Best cooler or not, so far I'm pretty pleased.

Oh, and after installing this thing, I'm no longer too worried about moving the PC or cracking the mobo. Most of the weight of the cooler is in the block, not the heatsink. Hence the center of mass is very close to the CPU/mobo, so you won't get a lot of strain from the heatsink bouncing up and down.
January 12, 2007 4:03:13 PM

Quote:
This thread absolutely reeks of bias and unsubstantiated claims. Show me the numbers! Tell me what it means quantitatively when you say the 9500 was "bested by a long shot" by the AC64.

Sorry Clue69Less, but one only has to Google Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro for a plethora of reviews that will back up anything I've said in this post regarding the 9500 and AC Freezer Series. I'm sorry if your results weren't satisfactory.

Right now you can get the Freezer 64 for about $35 shipped, from Newegg. Heatsinkfactory.com sells them for much less than that, when they're in stock. All three Zalman 9500s are running over $50 shipped on Newegg or Heatsinkfactory. At the very least, most reviews put the Freezer 64 on par with the Zalman 9500 when you compare results, so it comes down to price which makes the Freezers the clear leader. You got good pricing on those 9500s you bought, but like I noted earlier it isn't the norm. However, at the prices you noted the Zalman is a viable alternative.

I don't doubt the performance of the 9500s. They are simply priced too high against comparable products.
January 12, 2007 4:52:10 PM

Quote:
This thread absolutely reeks of bias and unsubstantiated claims. Show me the numbers! Tell me what it means quantitatively when you say the 9500 was "bested by a long shot" by the AC64.

Sorry Clue69Less, but one only has to Google Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro for a plethora of reviews that will back up anything I've said in this post regarding the 9500 and AC Freezer Series. I'm sorry if your results weren't satisfactory.

I've seen the reviews and that's why I included three ACs in my comparison. I got an Alpine 64 for something like $8 on a closeout sale just to use as an inexpensive baseline. Then I picked up a Freezer 64 Pro and Freezer 7 Pro for $35 shipped each. The 64 Pro had a noisy fan so I sent it back and got an even noisier one. Go figure. In my synthetic and real CPU tests, the Pros were typically a couple of degrees hotter than the 9500, so they are even farther behind the 9700, Tuniq and Ultra 120. No doubt in bang per buck, the Pros are great deals but therein is the rub and it's all about perspective. All of my rigs cost in the range of $1500 to $3K. The $10 saved in going with a AC Pro is totally lost in the noise. That's one reason why I recommend the Thermalright- you can put an ultra-quiet fan on it and get very good cooling or put a higher flow (but still reasonably quiet) fan on it and get great performance. All for what to me is an insignificant additional cost in the big picture. The Zalman 9700 at the price I paid is an excellent compromise because it is very close to the Ultra 120 coupled to a fast fan for an overclocked rig. But with the fan on slow, the 9700 is very quiet. It even works pretty well with the fan disconnected and I think is very good value at the current Newegg price. But it's not my favorite.

It's not trivial to test HSFs on actual PCs because you spend a fair bit of time installing and uninstalling. Also, unless you have a temperature and humidity controlled chamber, relatively small changes in ambient conditions can swamp the differences between units. That's why I built my synthetic rig. It has incoming air that is heated against cooling. So air-conditioned air is pumped into a high quality heat exchanger that has large surface area and mass. On a good day, I can regulate my incoming air to within ~1C over an 8 hour period. That's extremely important when comparing load temps on actual PCs. What I've been doing is varying the heat load to the pseudo-CPU block on one axis of a 3-D plot, then varying the incoming air temp on another axis. I can plot those against the average heater current in the CPU heater block and this gives quite a bit of info about how a HSF exchanges heat over a wide range of loads as a function of incoming air temps.

I have not run the Freezer Pros since upgrading the synthetic rig. With the old setup, they did very well at low to medium heat loads but fell behind in more difficult load tests. Still, the bang per buck champ, no doubt about it. Right now, I'm saving my pennies to get more copper to machine into heater blocks so I can have more than one HSF mounted at a time. The problem there is that each block has to be calibrated, yada, yada.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 12, 2007 4:55:58 PM

Alright.

This is a verry opinoiated post!
I personaly have the Zalmain 9700 on my e6600 @ 3.3GHz.
With the fan set at minimum I am at 56C (vs 53C fan at max) and the system runs almost silent.

I would be intrested to know how the cooling vs noise is from some of the other coolers.

How the cooler looks isin't as important as how it workes to me, but the 9700 does look pretty nice.
If it performs similary to the other coolers, I don't mind spending an extra $20 or so on it.

It really does look nice through my window, though :wink:

Also, sorry I can't spell worth a shat :cry: 
January 12, 2007 5:02:22 PM

Quote:
Oh, and after installing this thing, I'm no longer too worried about moving the PC or cracking the mobo. Most of the weight of the cooler is in the block, not the heatsink. Hence the center of mass is very close to the CPU/mobo, so you won't get a lot of strain from the heatsink bouncing up and down.

Hey, I did a mod for a guy that hauls his rig around to Lan parties often, plus he takes it to gigs to record music. He has a Mine which is big and heavy and was having troubles with it losing the thermal grease seal. Note that he's not really the gentle type and that's probably part of the problem as I've hauled PCs around without problems. Anyway, I attached four springs to the top of his Mine, then tensioned them to spots on his case and they act like a shock absorber and limit the damage due to driving his rig around town. It's too early to tell how well it will work long term, but looks good so far. I just drilled small holes in the top HS fin and in the case and the springs form a radial "X". You'd need something different if you had problems with a 9700 since it has no flat top fin - plus the 9700 fins are wimpy.
January 12, 2007 5:55:07 PM

IIRC the Alpines were never stellar performers. I believe they were just meant to replace the OEM heatsink and not for serious overclocking. They were a decent setup on the cheap, but I think you knew that already.

Indeed it would appear that you had a run of bad luck with the Freezers because mine is very quiet. Even so, something that is only a few degrees cooler in your tests, yet costs almost half as much on average still makes me recommend a Freezer before the 9500. It's why I try to include the caveat of grabbing the Zalmans when they're on sale at lower prices.

The Freezers cannot keep up with the 9700, but they weren't meant too. They were designed to keep up with the more popular 92mm fan coolers at the time, as was the 9500.

I agree with you on Thermalright. I've owned several of their heatsink's and find them to be a rock solid and quality product. The ability to pick your fan can be a plus or minus depending on the person. I see it as a plus.

I remember a post a while back where you were discussing your synthetic testing setup. Please do keep us posted on your results. It'd be nice to have a sticky here with some quality results on coolers that you could update as you acquire different coolers. Similar to Cleeve's GPU list.
January 12, 2007 5:58:49 PM

Quote:
That's what I'm saying, not saying the cooler is sh$t, just that it is too expensive for the performance.

Hey I got my 9700 for $45 delivered from a major etailer (Newegg). That's cheap. You gotta keep your eyes open - I see Zalman's on sale cheap 3 or 4 times a year. I've never seen a sale like that on a Tuniq or Thermalright. If you do, let me know.
January 12, 2007 6:02:23 PM

Quote:
I remember a post a while back where you were discussing your synthetic testing setup. Please do keep us posted on your results. It'd be nice to have a sticky here with some quality results on coolers that you could update as you acquire different coolers. Similar to Cleeve's GPU list.

Will do. I have a problem of making it most of the way through a comparison, then realizing there is a dire need for another system mod. Then back to square one. A friend says I'm infected with Piddleitis. Lately I'm trying to automate more aspects so it can run loops unattended 24/7.
January 12, 2007 6:28:21 PM

Quote:
Yes you do see them on sale quite a bit, but still, look at the link I had posted a little while ago, its an older review, and it doesn't show many recent coolers, but it shows the older thermalright xp 120 (maybe it was the ultra 120) beating the zalman by a clean 4*C and with less dba too. They are the same price, and the tuniq and scythe's outperform the thermalrights unless you add some crazy 100cfm fans.

I don't remember which review that was but I probably read it. Was that the 9700 vs. the 120? Because I'm seeing those two vie for the lead depending on conditions. The thing is, you can swap fans around on the Thermalright and pick your poison. It's not so easy to swap fans on the Zalman and I think of that as its major weakness. Note that I only have a sample size of one unit on the 9700 so maybe I got a really good one but it doesn't give up much at all to the 120 or the Tuniq in my tests. At some heat loads, it's the best I've seen.
January 12, 2007 6:38:58 PM

Quote:
That's what I'm saying, not saying the cooler is sh$t, just that it is too expensive for the performance.

We got you already man :) 

Quote:
Alright.

With the fan set at minimum I am at 56C (vs 53C fan at max) and the system runs almost silent.

You have way too high temps...
January 12, 2007 6:48:14 PM

Quote:
That may be true, but considering they have to put it on sale consonstantly means that it was way too overpriced in the first place.

That's debatable. It could just mean that it has a large markup so little shops can gouge unsuspecting Blingaholics.

Quote:
The fan on the 120 might have been better, but if you look at the review, the fan also only had 50dba, while the zalman at full speed has 4* more and something like 54dba, not much of a difference, but you can't say slince to performance here, as the thermalright beats the zalman in both

I'm shopping dB meters now. I've got a pretty decent one now but I want to get one that has a lower noise floor. I used to use a device that does an FFT analysis of sound and if any of you has one of those laying around unused, I'll make sure the pots don't get all corroded, just to help maintain your gear, of course. I kinda like how SilentPC Review has audio files you can listen to but even that isn't what you really need to best understand a noise source. Noise analysis and abatement is not a simple science.

Quote:
I see that you know what you're doing, and you also are a respectful person, I have dealt with many Jack***es lately and its nice to debate instead of argue, and so I respect you for that, but I just don't see any reason for the 9700 at the current performance it has.

I hear you on all of that. I welcome open discussion. And there's no way I would have plunked down $70 for a 9700. When I saw it at $45 on the Egg, I thought it was their typo. My order was placed at my maximum typing speed.
January 12, 2007 6:49:40 PM

I think this has to be over now, I want to clarify something IM NOT A ZALMAN FAN NOR ZALMAN PROTECTOR. Is just that I just bought one because I got excellent reviews about it but I also know that is kinda overpriced. Now whenever time comes, Ill try the Scythes. As you can see, there are people with not that good results with the Scythes.

Whoever read this topic, will decide to which one to go. Many people go by "how the fan looks" more than its perfomance or loudness.
January 12, 2007 7:00:26 PM

Ok, just to clarify for anyone in the UK wondering what the hell to do

For sleek sexy looks and great performance:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=120876&_LOC=UK
- The Zalman 9700, yours for £34.00 exactly

Or

For industrial style rough and ready looks and top notch performance:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-000-SB
- The Tuniq Tower 120, yours for £34.06

The choice is yours.
January 12, 2007 7:19:22 PM

Quote:
For industrial style rough and ready looks - The Tuniq Tower 120, yours for £34.06

I like the design of the Tuniq and in fact think it's more artsy than industrial. It's also huge. I keep wondering if they could do better with more pipes and less plates per pound.
January 12, 2007 7:25:47 PM
January 12, 2007 11:53:18 PM

Quote:
For industrial style rough and ready looks - The Tuniq Tower 120, yours for £34.06

I like the design of the Tuniq and in fact think it's more artsy than industrial. It's also huge. I keep wondering if they could do better with more pipes and less plates per pound.

Like I said: Block of flats
January 13, 2007 11:55:02 AM

So, now comes the million dollar question.

Size is not an issue as I have not picked out MB/case yet.
The cooler has to be as quiet as possible
I want to be able to overclock an E6600 at least to 3GHz and then as far further as possible.

So....Which cooler should I get?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2007 12:43:22 PM

Quote:
Alright.

It really does look nice through my window, though
:wink:

I know you kinda said you don't care about looks, but this is my point about the zalman's. 53*C is way too high for my tastes, especially if that's idle, I'd lower the oc if I were you. And also, this what I have been trying to say all along, zalman makes a quality product, but they go after looks more than performance and sell them at a very high price. They do perform nice, but not if you want a serious oc, as I have seen way above 3.3ghz on 6600's that are prime95 stable. One person has remained anonymous, but I know that he can runs prime on his 6600 at 4ghz stably with not dangerous temps. So what I am saying is that there are better coolers for the price, not the cooler is absolutely horrible. Geez guys, aly off a bit, I have given you some proof, and I have agreed with you guys that it is a good cooler, just not worth $50-$70 bucks when there are coolers that are only $40-$60 that are just as good.

Sorry, haven't checked my postes in a few days.

56C is at full load with the fan turned all the way down.
Idle I see 31C with the fan up and 33C with the fan all the way down.

I got mine on sale at newegg for $55 anyways.
    • 1 / 7
    • More pages
    • Next
    • Newest
!