harty23690

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Now I know that this is the best air cooler on the market. But im also aware that it weighs about 800g

Now intel (i think) says that the maximum recommended weight of a cooler on a CPU is about 450g.

Could putting one of these air cooling beasts on a CPU damage my motherboard or CPU?

~Apologies for noobness~

oldgreyhead

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I have had a 864gram Hyper 48 on my Asus P5GD1 for 2 years. It's not broken the board so far.

Instalation invovled a brace on the underside of the M/B.

EricT

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I'm not sure why Intel cares how heavy the cooler is, since most of them are mounted with the CPU vertical anyway, which would not place any weight load from the cooler onto the CPU. But anyway, most of the high-end coolers I've looked at have a backplate which will help keep the motherboard ridgid.

Once the system is in place, should be no problem at all.

The only risk would be in moving/transporting the system. You would probably want to lay the case on its side with the motherboard on the bottom. If you have it upright, I could see how a couple of big potholes could break your motherboard with that big cooler bouncing up and down and flexing the mobo.

PS - mine is arriving tomorrow :)

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
If you're not moving your system around it shouldn't be a problem. But if you're the type of guy to do a lot of lanparty, I'd be cautious. When putting down the system, the weight of the fan is multiply by a lot if you let it go too fast. That's when it might break your mobo if unlucky.

Think of it as pushing a wall with your hand compare to punching it. Second one might very well break it, but pushing wouldn't be a problem unless you're very heavy :wink: .

Like EricT said, if moving it, put it on the side and back on the ground very carefully. You shouldn't have a problem if you do that.

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
yes, its is heavy, but not as mouch as you think. just dont go kicking/bumping the ase a lot, or using it for lan parties. As it has a backplate, that helps distribute the weight very well

it would also be perfectly fine if this was a desktop chassis/ht that lay horizontally

mrbuzz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I was looking at getting a Zalman 9700 after some reviews I read and one of them recommended to checkout their website to see if it would fit on your motherboard. I went to their website but the only list I could fid was for the 9500 and it said the list was from August 05. Can anybody point me to a current list?

Arrowyx

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
If you have a dremel and aren't afraid to use it then basically any mobo will work. That compatibility list just means that the backplate will fit over all the circuitry on the backside of the mobo in the area of the socket without touching anything but the plate can be fixed to work with any mobo. But really if I were you I'd save some money and get a Tuniq Tower 120. Works better for less, if you can't find that then a Scythe Infinity will work almost as good. Don't get me wrong, the Zalman is a good cooler, it's just way too overpriced.

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
If you have a dremel and aren't afraid to use it then basically any mobo will work. That compatibility list just means that the backplate will fit over all the circuitry on the backside of the mobo in the area of the socket without touching anything but the plate can be fixed to work with any mobo. But really if I were you I'd save some money and get a Tuniq Tower 120. Works better for less, if you can't find that then a Scythe Infinity will work almost as good. Don't get me wrong, the Zalman is a good cooler, it's just way too overpriced.

No, compatibility is weather the size of the heatsink interferes with any nearby capacitors, chipset hsinks, mosfets and like; if its a badly designed mobo, maybe even power conenctors and the ram modules.

normally most motherboards have no smd components in a sizeable radius surrounding the cpu socket on the reverse

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
The 9700 is far from being the best air cooler on the market.

Intel's specs are for their rather weak (IMO) mounting system (the 4 plastic push-pins). Most good heavy coolers come with a backing plate that mounts behind the motherboard (like others have noted). The cooler screws into that and is very secure. Cooler weight is not really an issue with this mounting method.

EricT

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
The 9700 is far from being the best air cooler on the market.

Is it really far from the best? The reviews I've read placed it among the best 2 or 3, if not the best. Not to get too far off topic, but your opinion diverges from the majority, and I'm interested to know your thinking and/or experience behind it.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
It's performance is decent, but it is usually priced way too high for what you get. The popular Scythes/Thermaltakes/Tuniqs/Thermalrights perform better at either the same cost or for less money. You can buy the original Scythe Ninja on Newegg right now for about $40 and it's performance is far above that of the Zalman 9700.

Don't get me wrong. Zalman makes a quality product. They just price them too high. The 9700 is worth $40-$50. Not the $60-$70 it's going for on Newegg. The 9500 was subject to the same problem. It was sold for about $55 and was bested by the Arctic Cooling Freezer series which could be had for less than $30.

mrbuzz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Hi Guys

Once again thanks for the good advice. I will try and track down the Tuniq and Scythe products in Australia. I was also looking at a Thermaltake Big Typhoon or a Coolmaster Eclipse.

eckre

Distinguished
May 31, 2006

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Bah, the Zalman 9700 is still a very good cooler, if it is indeed expensive. Everyone loves bling anyway, especially if you've got a side windows to flex your bragging right.

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Bah, the Zalman 9700 is still a very good cooler, if it is indeed expensive. Everyone loves bling anyway, especially if you've got a side windows to flex your bragging right.

Yeah, lets be fair, it looks fuckin sweet!

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
That chart is only taking temperature into consideration and not price. That list would look very different if cost was taken into consideration. An item's price/performance ratio is the best way to determine it's value.

Bah, and I will say it again, BAH! Shocked , that is a very unfair chart, as it only shows sh$t coolers and does not show a single scythe cooler, or a sunbeam cooler, or more than one thermalright cooler, or a bunch of other amazing coolers I could name that are better than the 9700 for less
There are several Scythes on the list. Unfortunately they are either very old or at the bottom of Scythe product line. Nearly the same case for Thermalright. Keeping the Ninja, Infinity, Mine, or Big Typhoon off of that list is a dis-service to hardware enthusiasts.

If looks mean that much to you, then by all means factor that into your buying decision as it's your money. Most overclocking enthusiasts do not give a damn about what it looks like.

BTW. Take a look at the only advertisement on FrostyTech's website. :wink:

harty23690

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Well thanks everyone for your advice.

Seems like I have nothing to worry about, but I will be strongly considering the Tuniq Tower 120 instead now

:)

MikeGR7

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Dude, maybe you wanna ch :eek: eck out your tower first. Do you have a side fan? If so, be sure that this thing wont fit it and you'll probably have to chose one of them. I had the 9500 and my 4400+ easily hit the 2.8ghz spot. Awesome design too. Don't get me wrong, my next rig will be powered with Scythe Infinity. Just consider what you really need, speed or appearance?!

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Thank you anoobis, you just proved my point (you're in DaClan right, aren't you?)
That sight as I said is very one sided, and
Yeah, lets be fair, it looks ****** sweet!
Exactly my other point. Zalman knows people like you will go after looks over performance, and knows they can over price their stuff. I don't know what your tech level is, but its mainly only the noobs that go after the products like that that only look good and under perform their price level (kinda like comparing building a computer, and buying a simular model from dell [we're talking extreme build-not the cheap ones], you will end up paying an extra 500 just to use a dell case, I have checked because I have some rich friends that wanted to buy a custom xps, and I built a better computer for them for less.) Its all in the image when it comes to marketing, especially computer companies because they know how much money noobs waste on their stuff. While when having performance, looks don'tt matter, its about the price and what the price offers

Ok, just to clarify, I didnt say that I would go after looks over performance, I'm actually about to order a Tuniq Tower 120, I just think the 9700 looks far cooler, than my block-of-flats-a-like. I think your missing the point though somewhat. The Zalman maybe a little more than the others, but there is no denying it, the 9700 is a very capable CPU cooler. If I worked for Zalman and was giving the task of designing a cooler, I would choose function over design every time, no doubt, but if I could make it look freakin awesome, as well as making it do its job well then I would jump at the chance. If people want to pay a little more for a product that looks cool as well then why not?

There is no doubt about it, aesthetics is becoming more and more important in the computer world, I bet 10 years ago nearly all of the people who have posted in this thread owned a computer that was an unattractive beige box, in many ways Zalman have are actually ahead of the game, making a product that performs well and looks awesome, for that I cant blame them for charging a little more, if people want the looks they have the option of paying for them.

Finally: you have to remember, as with everything, people want their computers to impress others, you only have to look at the amount of praise
tool 462 got for his amazing homebuilt wooden case (http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Wood-complete-ftopict217098.html), and the amount of people who have their "e-penis" in their sig. Getting 10k in 3D Mark 06 will impress those on Tomshardware forum and other techheads but when it comes to having your real life mates around will they be more impressed by your 3d mark score or your UV lit water cooling system and 22 inch W.S monitor?

I dont believe that because I am willing to sacrifice a couple of extra MHZ overclock to make my system look like it was built by the gods it makes me look like anything like a "noob" (and lets face it, its not as if the difference between the Zalman and say, the Tuniq is going to increase my real world FPS by a massive amount) . Your right in what you say though, the 9700 is likely to attract those who dont know as much about what they are buying, but at the same time it does a very good job, and therefore, I cant find a way to criticise Zalman for it, as there is no 'con' involved.