Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard Hunt

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2007 8:08:02 PM

Hi everybody. I'm in the process of building a new PC and my last decision to make is the mobo. The only thing is, I can't find ANY that meet all of the criteria I have for it. Does anyone know of a board that supports a Core 2 Duo, PC6400 (DDR2 800), 4 IDE devices, atleast 2 SATA devices, PCIe (won't be using SLI or Crossfire so it's not an issue) and won't break the bank.

I'm not going to be doing any OC'ing and would prefer to have atleast 3 PCI slots and 4 RAM slots.

If anyone can help me out on this one I'd really appreciate it; and if that's not an option, if you can find an AM2 board that will meet all of those then I'd be interested in that as well since the mobo is the only thing that's going to determine if I go with a E6600 or an X2 5200+.

Thanks in advance.

More about : motherboard hunt

January 10, 2007 9:16:03 PM

Yeah I've been looking at a number of different chipsets from Intel and nVidia but I still can't find a board that matches up with all the things I need. All of the boards listed from that link have only one PATA controller (2 IDE devices) and a number of them are limited to DDR2 667 but I'm looking for DDR2 800.
Related resources
January 11, 2007 4:07:37 AM

I still can't find one out there that matches everything. Does anyone have any suggestions on one at all?
January 11, 2007 3:10:26 PM

Thanks JMecc, this is exactly what I was looking for! :D 

Now I can finally build my beast.
January 11, 2007 5:03:55 PM

I assume the main sticking point is 4 IDE connections. I think the best thing you could do is to get a good fullsize ATX mobo (I didn't see if MicroAtx is a requirement) and spend an additional $20 on a ATA133 PCI card.
January 11, 2007 5:06:26 PM

I considered that but I've had nothing but bad luck with add-in controller cards (IDE and SCSI) so I really want to avoid that path if possible.
January 11, 2007 5:10:17 PM

There are some fullsize mobos that support 4 IDE devices at NCIX.com but the add-in card definitely expands your choices. I'm down to only the DVD as an IDE device since my backup drive (IDE) is in a USB enclosure.

Jo
January 11, 2007 9:28:18 PM

Quote:
There are some fullsize mobos that support 4 IDE devices at NCIX.com but the add-in card definitely expands your choices. I'm down to only the DVD as an IDE device since my backup drive (IDE) is in a USB enclosure.

Jo

I haven't been happy with the performance of drives in USB enclosures. I still suggest the add in card from a well known company like RocketPoint or Adaptec.
January 11, 2007 9:33:34 PM

How about some SATA<->IDE adapters to reduce your IDE requirements and open up your MB choices?
January 11, 2007 9:40:54 PM

That crossed my mind but, admittedly, I haven't really looked for them very hard. I did find some that were $25 each, is that a normal price for them b/c that's a bit steep for an adapter.
January 11, 2007 10:01:04 PM

Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that I'm north of the border. Damn Newegg won't ship up here for some reason which is a real pain in the *beep*. Thanks for the ballpark though.... so I'll have to keep looking since it looks like I should be able to find them for around $10-$12 each.
January 11, 2007 10:13:34 PM

Nope one way only and it's determined as "from the drive to the controller".
!