question about game resolution

what is the different between all the various resolutions of the same
size, but different speed? for example, there are many 1024x768, but
they all have different speeds listed after them....does this change much?

also, what do the different texture packs do?

John Salerno wrote:

> what is the different between all the various resolutions of the same
> size, but different speed? for example, there are many 1024x768, but
> they all have different speeds listed after them....does this change much?

That's the refresh rate for your monitor, i.e. how many times per cycle
the monitor "re-draws" the picture. The higher the refresh rate, the
less likely you are to notice any flicker as the image is refreshed.
However, your monitor/video card must be capable of handling the
resolution/refresh rate listed or you'll get a badly messed up screen.
Check your monitor documentation to see what refresh rates it can handle
at each resolution and make sure your video card is the same.

Or, use the Advanced properties of your display settings dialogue to see
what refresh rate your monitor is currently using and set NWN to use the
same.

> also, what do the different texture packs do?

Increase the resolution of textures. In order to use a specific texture
pack, your video card must have the listed amount of RAM. So, for the
64-meg texture pack, your video card must have 64 MB of RAM. The higher
the quality of the texture pack, the more "real" in-game items look.
(Wood looks more like real wood, stone looks more like real stone, etc.)
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first

On Tue, 04 May 2004 20:18:20 GMT, Barry Scott Will wrote:

> John Salerno wrote:
>
>> what is the different between all the various resolutions of the same
>> size, but different speed? for example, there are many 1024x768, but
>> they all have different speeds listed after them....does this change much?
>
> That's the refresh rate for your monitor, i.e. how many times per cycle
> the monitor "re-draws" the picture. The higher the refresh rate, the
> less likely you are to notice any flicker as the image is refreshed.

Specifically, most people find that 75 Hz is the appropriate setting --
they see no flickering. Some people are more sensitive for some reason, and
need a setting of 85 Hz. Anything lower than 75 Hz may be bad for your eyes
and/or give you headaches even if you're not consciously seeing any
flicker, so I would recommend that as a minimum refresh rate to anybody
(not only for games! the refresh can be set in the Monitor properties
control panel in Windows). LCD screens have no refresh, so this is
irrelevant.

--
Anna Mazzoldi <http://www.livejournal.com/users/aynathie/>

A conclusion is the place where you get tired
of thinking. (Arthur Bloch)

Anna Mazzoldi wrote:

> LCD screens have no refresh, so this is
> irrelevant.

I have a laptop, so this setting doesn't matter?

On Fri, 07 May 2004 13:22:36 -0400, John Salerno wrote:

> Anna Mazzoldi wrote:
>
>> LCD screens have no refresh, so this is
>> irrelevant.
>
> I have a laptop, so this setting doesn't matter?

I would assume it doesn't matter, so you can choose any refresh rate you
want for the resolution you like and it will make no difference.

(I may be wrong though. I'm not a real expert, I only play one on
Internet...)
--
Anna Mazzoldi <http://www.livejournal.com/users/aynathie/>

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language
is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other
languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle
their pockets for new vocabulary."
-- James Nicoll, rasfw