Sign in with
Your question

Best HDD setup for 3 drives

Last response: in Storage
January 10, 2007 9:07:16 PM

I'm in the process of building my first rig. My question is that I have 3 7200.10 320gb sata Seagate's and I'm curious of the best way to run them. I'm thinking of 2 in RAID 0 and the third for backup/critical data. I'm using an evga 680i MB. My primary use for this machine is gaming. Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks-Jutt

More about : hdd setup drives

January 10, 2007 9:46:01 PM

Quote:
I'm in the process of building my first rig. My question is that I have 3 7200.10 320gb sata Seagate's and I'm curious of the best way to run them. I'm thinking of 2 in RAID 0 and the third for backup/critical data. I'm using an evga 680i MB. My primary use for this machine is gaming. Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks-Jutt

Ok... so basically for gaming? Are you going to be putting anything else on there? If you're not going to be working with files that can benefit from RAID 0 then don't even worry about it. Now what you're proposing actually sounds like a RAID 5 config. I wouldn't recommend RAID 5 for gaming... although gaming is mainly up to your RAM and other resources... not your HDD.
January 10, 2007 9:50:01 PM

Pretty good idea actually. I dont know how many SATA ports that board has, but you could also get a 4th drive. Run a RAID 1 for your OS and media and the RAID 0 for any games or ther performance apps you might have.
Related resources
January 10, 2007 9:56:35 PM

Quote:

Ok... so basically for gaming? Are you going to be putting anything else on there? If you're not going to be working with files that can benefit from RAID 0 then don't even worry about it. Now what you're proposing actually sounds like a RAID 5 config. I wouldn't recommend RAID 5 for gaming... although gaming is mainly up to your RAM and other resources... not your HDD.

Yeah, mostly for gaming but I would like to protect some critical info I may store but my priority is quick load times. If I only had 2 drives then I would simply set them up in RAID 0 but since I have a third I'm not really sure of the best way to set them up.
January 10, 2007 10:12:45 PM

Quote:
Pretty good idea actually. I dont know how many SATA ports that board has, but you could also get a 4th drive. Run a RAID 1 for your OS and media and the RAID 0 for any games or ther performance apps you might have.

My board has 6 sata ports. Now is what you are recommending a RAID 0+1 setup or 2 independent RAID setups? Another HD would be cool but I'm curious of what I can do with 3 at this point.
January 10, 2007 10:18:52 PM

Well.. that's the thing: load times are more dependent on your RAM since once you load the game up it's going to be on the RAM. Honestly, I'm a big fan of RAID 5. It runs fine for me... and I do game ocassionally, but not very often. Mostly Quake II. How about this? Now this is only a suggestion... try the main drive as like an OS drive and put the other 2 in RAID 1 so you can secure your data.

Maybe get some more opinions on this?

EDIT: Yeah... you could do a RAID 0 and a single drive, but make sure you BACKUP YOUR OS! I can never say this enough... backup your OS... you will not regret it. Now... RAID 0 as of now has a very low chance of failure but there's always that big IF.
!