Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsmedia (More info?)

Hello All

I am quite new to the world of home cinema etc, and I don't have much time
to investigate/install new hardware/software.

I currently have a PC with a DVD re-writer, and the kids regularly play
their DVDs on that, and on the TV/DVD player. Now they are asking
for/demanding a bigger/better PC monitor (we have a 19" TFT), or
bigger/better TV (we have a 10 year old specimen). It struck me that an
alternative would be to buy a PC projector, which I (in fact, mostly they)
could then use to watch their DVDs on a massive 'roller' screen (which we
have, from our holiday slide-show days). The projectors start at ~£500,
which is a lot less than a really big VDU/TV, and it seems to me that the
result (at least in terms of picture size) would be great - almost like
going to the cinema.

So the question is: am I right? Would I get a great picture by popping the
disc into the PC's DVD player, running windows (2k) media player and
projecting the film onto a 50" screen? Would it be important that the
projector I bought had a certain minimum specification?

I would be very grateful for any comments/advice etc that might help me keep
the kids happy.

Many thanks
Leslie Isaacs

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsmedia (More info?)

You may want to consider projector bulb life/costs as part of the
decision. That can get expensive fast if the "kids" treat the system
like a regular TV(on 18 hours a day :) ) Otherwise there are plenty
projector reviews out there.

Leslie Isaacs wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I am quite new to the world of home cinema etc, and I don't have much time
> to investigate/install new hardware/software.
>
> I currently have a PC with a DVD re-writer, and the kids regularly play
> their DVDs on that, and on the TV/DVD player. Now they are asking
> for/demanding a bigger/better PC monitor (we have a 19" TFT), or
> bigger/better TV (we have a 10 year old specimen). It struck me that an
> alternative would be to buy a PC projector, which I (in fact, mostly they)
> could then use to watch their DVDs on a massive 'roller' screen (which we
> have, from our holiday slide-show days). The projectors start at ~£500,
> which is a lot less than a really big VDU/TV, and it seems to me that the
> result (at least in terms of picture size) would be great - almost like
> going to the cinema.
>
> So the question is: am I right? Would I get a great picture by popping the
> disc into the PC's DVD player, running windows (2k) media player and
> projecting the film onto a 50" screen? Would it be important that the
> projector I bought had a certain minimum specification?
>
> I would be very grateful for any comments/advice etc that might help me keep
> the kids happy.
>
> Many thanks
> Leslie Isaacs

dl

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsmedia (More info?)

"for/demanding a bigger/better PC monitor "
Next I guess they will be demanding better surround sound sys
Sounds like they need to be told the facts of life./ put in their place

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/
http://www.hometheatermag.com/
http://www.whathifi.com/index.asp
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/whatvideo/
http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_Theater/
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/archive/
Or simply visit your local news agent.
Projector bulbs have a limited hours life, replacements are not cheap

"Leslie Isaacs" <leslie.isaacs@gp-n85011.nhs.uk> wrote in message
> Hello All
>
> I am quite new to the world of home cinema etc, and I don't have much time
> to investigate/install new hardware/software.
>
> I currently have a PC with a DVD re-writer, and the kids regularly play
> their DVDs on that, and on the TV/DVD player. Now they are asking
> for/demanding a bigger/better PC monitor (we have a 19" TFT), or
> bigger/better TV (we have a 10 year old specimen). It struck me that an
> alternative would be to buy a PC projector, which I (in fact, mostly they)
> could then use to watch their DVDs on a massive 'roller' screen (which we
> have, from our holiday slide-show days). The projectors start at ~£500,
> which is a lot less than a really big VDU/TV, and it seems to me that the
> result (at least in terms of picture size) would be great - almost like
> going to the cinema.
>
> So the question is: am I right? Would I get a great picture by popping the
> disc into the PC's DVD player, running windows (2k) media player and
> projecting the film onto a 50" screen? Would it be important that the
> projector I bought had a certain minimum specification?
>
> I would be very grateful for any comments/advice etc that might help me
keep
> the kids happy.
>
> Many thanks
> Leslie Isaacs

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsmedia (More info?)

A good 21" CRT would be my personal choice, it's the best quality/price
wise.
Also, please notice that a surface as big as a projector tends to show
compression artifacts that are usually difficutl to spot on smaller screens,
so that kind of upgrade might be better when you'll get a sizeable
collection of HD movies.

"Leslie Isaacs" <leslie.isaacs@gp-n85011.nhs.uk> wrote in message
> Hello All
>
> I am quite new to the world of home cinema etc, and I don't have much time
> to investigate/install new hardware/software.
>
> I currently have a PC with a DVD re-writer, and the kids regularly play
> their DVDs on that, and on the TV/DVD player. Now they are asking
> for/demanding a bigger/better PC monitor (we have a 19" TFT), or
> bigger/better TV (we have a 10 year old specimen). It struck me that an
> alternative would be to buy a PC projector, which I (in fact, mostly they)
> could then use to watch their DVDs on a massive 'roller' screen (which we
> have, from our holiday slide-show days). The projectors start at ~£500,
> which is a lot less than a really big VDU/TV, and it seems to me that the
> result (at least in terms of picture size) would be great - almost like
> going to the cinema.
>
> So the question is: am I right? Would I get a great picture by popping the
> disc into the PC's DVD player, running windows (2k) media player and
> projecting the film onto a 50" screen? Would it be important that the
> projector I bought had a certain minimum specification?
>
> I would be very grateful for any comments/advice etc that might help me
> keep
> the kids happy.
>
> Many thanks
> Leslie Isaacs

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0536-2, 09/07/2005
Tested on: 9/8/2005 3:37:08 PM

"Leslie Isaacs" <leslie.isaacs@gp-n85011.nhs.uk> wrote in message
> Hello All
>
> I am quite new to the world of home cinema etc, and I don't have much time
> to investigate/install new hardware/software.
>
> I currently have a PC with a DVD re-writer, and the kids regularly play
> their DVDs on that, and on the TV/DVD player. Now they are asking
> for/demanding a bigger/better PC monitor (we have a 19" TFT), or
> bigger/better TV (we have a 10 year old specimen). It struck me that an
> alternative would be to buy a PC projector, which I (in fact, mostly they)
> could then use to watch their DVDs on a massive 'roller' screen (which we
> have, from our holiday slide-show days). The projectors start at ~£500,
> which is a lot less than a really big VDU/TV, and it seems to me that the
> result (at least in terms of picture size) would be great - almost like
> going to the cinema.
>
> So the question is: am I right? Would I get a great picture by popping the
> disc into the PC's DVD player, running windows (2k) media player and
> projecting the film onto a 50" screen? Would it be important that the
> projector I bought had a certain minimum specification?
>
> I would be very grateful for any comments/advice etc that might help me
> keep
> the kids happy.

A projector will do the job depending on how fussy you are as you are
sacrificing quality for size.
I have a cheap projector and it's fine for me, but some people complain
because the colours aren't as accurate, and you don't get the same crispness
as a Monitor.
After you get the projector, you will also need some decent speakers, as the
big picture needs big sound otherwise it feels wrong.