Home Cinema?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsmedia (More info?)

Hello All

I am quite new to the world of home cinema etc, and I don't have much time
to investigate/install new hardware/software.

I currently have a PC with a DVD re-writer, and the kids regularly play
their DVDs on that, and on the TV/DVD player. Now they are asking
for/demanding a bigger/better PC monitor (we have a 19" TFT), or
bigger/better TV (we have a 10 year old specimen). It struck me that an
alternative would be to buy a PC projector, which I (in fact, mostly they)
could then use to watch their DVDs on a massive 'roller' screen (which we
have, from our holiday slide-show days). The projectors start at ~£500,
which is a lot less than a really big VDU/TV, and it seems to me that the
result (at least in terms of picture size) would be great - almost like
going to the cinema.

So the question is: am I right? Would I get a great picture by popping the
disc into the PC's DVD player, running windows (2k) media player and
projecting the film onto a 50" screen? Would it be important that the
projector I bought had a certain minimum specification?

I would be very grateful for any comments/advice etc that might help me keep
the kids happy.

Many thanks
Leslie Isaacs
4 answers Last reply
More about home cinema
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsmedia (More info?)

    You may want to consider projector bulb life/costs as part of the
    decision. That can get expensive fast if the "kids" treat the system
    like a regular TV(on 18 hours a day :-) ) Otherwise there are plenty
    projector reviews out there.

    Leslie Isaacs wrote:

    > Hello All
    >
    > I am quite new to the world of home cinema etc, and I don't have much time
    > to investigate/install new hardware/software.
    >
    > I currently have a PC with a DVD re-writer, and the kids regularly play
    > their DVDs on that, and on the TV/DVD player. Now they are asking
    > for/demanding a bigger/better PC monitor (we have a 19" TFT), or
    > bigger/better TV (we have a 10 year old specimen). It struck me that an
    > alternative would be to buy a PC projector, which I (in fact, mostly they)
    > could then use to watch their DVDs on a massive 'roller' screen (which we
    > have, from our holiday slide-show days). The projectors start at ~£500,
    > which is a lot less than a really big VDU/TV, and it seems to me that the
    > result (at least in terms of picture size) would be great - almost like
    > going to the cinema.
    >
    > So the question is: am I right? Would I get a great picture by popping the
    > disc into the PC's DVD player, running windows (2k) media player and
    > projecting the film onto a 50" screen? Would it be important that the
    > projector I bought had a certain minimum specification?
    >
    > I would be very grateful for any comments/advice etc that might help me keep
    > the kids happy.
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Leslie Isaacs

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsmedia (More info?)

    "for/demanding a bigger/better PC monitor "
    Next I guess they will be demanding better surround sound sys
    Sounds like they need to be told the facts of life./ put in their place

    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/
    http://www.hometheatermag.com/
    http://www.whathifi.com/index.asp
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/whatvideo/
    http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_Theater/
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/archive/
    Or simply visit your local news agent.
    Projector bulbs have a limited hours life, replacements are not cheap

    "Leslie Isaacs" <leslie.isaacs@gp-n85011.nhs.uk> wrote in message
    > Hello All
    >
    > I am quite new to the world of home cinema etc, and I don't have much time
    > to investigate/install new hardware/software.
    >
    > I currently have a PC with a DVD re-writer, and the kids regularly play
    > their DVDs on that, and on the TV/DVD player. Now they are asking
    > for/demanding a bigger/better PC monitor (we have a 19" TFT), or
    > bigger/better TV (we have a 10 year old specimen). It struck me that an
    > alternative would be to buy a PC projector, which I (in fact, mostly they)
    > could then use to watch their DVDs on a massive 'roller' screen (which we
    > have, from our holiday slide-show days). The projectors start at ~£500,
    > which is a lot less than a really big VDU/TV, and it seems to me that the
    > result (at least in terms of picture size) would be great - almost like
    > going to the cinema.
    >
    > So the question is: am I right? Would I get a great picture by popping the
    > disc into the PC's DVD player, running windows (2k) media player and
    > projecting the film onto a 50" screen? Would it be important that the
    > projector I bought had a certain minimum specification?
    >
    > I would be very grateful for any comments/advice etc that might help me
    keep
    > the kids happy.
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Leslie Isaacs

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsmedia (More info?)

    A good 21" CRT would be my personal choice, it's the best quality/price
    wise.
    Also, please notice that a surface as big as a projector tends to show
    compression artifacts that are usually difficutl to spot on smaller screens,
    so that kind of upgrade might be better when you'll get a sizeable
    collection of HD movies.

    "Leslie Isaacs" <leslie.isaacs@gp-n85011.nhs.uk> wrote in message
    > Hello All
    >
    > I am quite new to the world of home cinema etc, and I don't have much time
    > to investigate/install new hardware/software.
    >
    > I currently have a PC with a DVD re-writer, and the kids regularly play
    > their DVDs on that, and on the TV/DVD player. Now they are asking
    > for/demanding a bigger/better PC monitor (we have a 19" TFT), or
    > bigger/better TV (we have a 10 year old specimen). It struck me that an
    > alternative would be to buy a PC projector, which I (in fact, mostly they)
    > could then use to watch their DVDs on a massive 'roller' screen (which we
    > have, from our holiday slide-show days). The projectors start at ~£500,
    > which is a lot less than a really big VDU/TV, and it seems to me that the
    > result (at least in terms of picture size) would be great - almost like
    > going to the cinema.
    >
    > So the question is: am I right? Would I get a great picture by popping the
    > disc into the PC's DVD player, running windows (2k) media player and
    > projecting the film onto a 50" screen? Would it be important that the
    > projector I bought had a certain minimum specification?
    >
    > I would be very grateful for any comments/advice etc that might help me
    > keep
    > the kids happy.
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Leslie Isaacs

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0536-2, 09/07/2005
    Tested on: 9/8/2005 3:37:08 PM

    "Leslie Isaacs" <leslie.isaacs@gp-n85011.nhs.uk> wrote in message
    > Hello All
    >
    > I am quite new to the world of home cinema etc, and I don't have much time
    > to investigate/install new hardware/software.
    >
    > I currently have a PC with a DVD re-writer, and the kids regularly play
    > their DVDs on that, and on the TV/DVD player. Now they are asking
    > for/demanding a bigger/better PC monitor (we have a 19" TFT), or
    > bigger/better TV (we have a 10 year old specimen). It struck me that an
    > alternative would be to buy a PC projector, which I (in fact, mostly they)
    > could then use to watch their DVDs on a massive 'roller' screen (which we
    > have, from our holiday slide-show days). The projectors start at ~£500,
    > which is a lot less than a really big VDU/TV, and it seems to me that the
    > result (at least in terms of picture size) would be great - almost like
    > going to the cinema.
    >
    > So the question is: am I right? Would I get a great picture by popping the
    > disc into the PC's DVD player, running windows (2k) media player and
    > projecting the film onto a 50" screen? Would it be important that the
    > projector I bought had a certain minimum specification?
    >
    > I would be very grateful for any comments/advice etc that might help me
    > keep
    > the kids happy.

    A projector will do the job depending on how fussy you are as you are
    sacrificing quality for size.
    I have a cheap projector and it's fine for me, but some people complain
    because the colours aren't as accurate, and you don't get the same crispness
    as a Monitor.
    After you get the projector, you will also need some decent speakers, as the
    big picture needs big sound otherwise it feels wrong.

Home Theatre Microsoft Windows