Video Card Problems

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Lately, my screen has been randomly shutting off and going into power saving mode. I've updated the drivers, ran memtest, cleaned up and defragmented my drives, and my temperatures are way cool, so I'm not sure what's going on with it. Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated.

My specs:
P4 3.0E
2GB PC3200
This power supply
Radeon X850Pro AGP

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
There's no overclock on it currently and I've never flashed it, because of the lazer cut.

Uninstall Catalyst. Just run the ATI drivers.

I'll try that. You think Catalyst could cause a conflict that would do that?

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
That didn't work. Played FEAR for about an hour and when I quit, about a minute later after then game was off, my screen went into sleep mode. Any other ideas?

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Lately, my screen has been randomly shutting off and going into power saving mode. I've updated the drivers, ran memtest, cleaned up and defragmented my drives, and my temperatures are way cool, so I'm not sure what's going on with it. Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Have you recently made any changes to your system?

For example, have you installed any new hardware or changed any power connections inside the case? Have you changed any Power Options in the Control Panel?

Think of any changes you may have done to your system prior to the first time you experienced the problem.

Anything?

Regardless, check your Power Settings. There is an option there to turn off the monitor if the PC is idle for longer than 1 minute. Is this your case, perhaps?

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
None that I can think of. I added a sound card recently but the problems I'm experiencing started about a month before that. I looked at my power options and I have everything set to 'Never', but I did notice I had hibernation enabled. Think that might have been it? I don't understand why it would just cut off randomly though. I turned it off. I'll post back if I'm still experiencing the same problems.