Remote Desktop?

Had a chance to play with WinXP's Remote Desktop and was wondering if MS has
something like it for Win2000?

No, unless you are running Windows 2000 Server - Remote Desktop is
essentially the same as Terminal Services in Remote Administration mode.
There are third party alternatives for Win2k Pro - eg. See:

http://www.tightvnc.com/

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

From: "Lisa Simpson" <noone@nowhere.com>

| Had a chance to play with WinXP's Remote Desktop and was wondering if MS has
| something like it for Win2000?

"This software package will install the client portion of Remote Desktop on any of the
following operating systems: Windows 95, Windows 98 and 98 Second Edition, Windows Me,
Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, and Windows 2003. (This is the same version of the client
software as in Windows XP Service Pack 2.) When run, this software allows older Windows
platforms to remotely connect to a computer running Windows XP Professional with Remote
Desktop enabled."

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=80111f21-d48d-426e-96c2-08aa2bd23a49&DisplayLang=en

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Thanx, I'll check that out . . .

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" <dsherman@notampabayspamforme.rr.com> wrote in message
> No, unless you are running Windows 2000 Server - Remote Desktop is
> essentially the same as Terminal Services in Remote Administration mode.
> There are third party alternatives for Win2k Pro - eg. See:
>
> http://www.tightvnc.com/
>
> Doug Sherman
> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>
> "Lisa Simpson" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Had a chance to play with WinXP's Remote Desktop and was wondering if MS
> has
> > something like it for Win2000?

Yeah, I d/l'ed that, then noticed that you can only use it to connect to a
WinXP machinf from a Win2000 machine; it can't be used to connect to a
Win2000 machine from another Win2000 machine . . .

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 08:18:09 -0400, "Lisa Simpson" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Thanx, I'll check that out . . .
>
>"Doug Sherman [MVP]" <dsherman@notampabayspamforme.rr.com> wrote in message
>> There are third party alternatives for Win2k Pro - eg. See:

The difference is that remote desktop gives you your own copy of the desktop, while
TightVNC has you use the existing desktop (on Windoze systems - a linux host gives you
your own desktop). Make sure you install the mirror driver and set the screen update to
full screen, every 300ms.

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
_

From: "Lisa Simpson" <noone@nowhere.com>

| Yeah, I d/l'ed that, then noticed that you can only use it to connect to a
| WinXP machinf from a Win2000 machine; it can't be used to connect to a
| Win2000 machine from another Win2000 machine . . .

That's all there is ! That is unless you use another software such as PC AnyWhere.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

TRENDING THREADS