Backup

Hi,

I've got a W2K Server box and I've been backing up with Veritas 9.0 for a
while, I do backup Exchange using the 2000 backup utility to another
computer. I'm not sure if that information is even relevant, anyway, I have
a Compaq DAT 40 internal tapedrive in the server but I can't see it from the
2000 backup utility is there something I can do to be able to use it or even
see it with the 2000 Backup utility.

Thanks Craig

Hi,
Is your removable storage service running? do u have the latest drivers and
firmware for the tape? Is your tape drive on windows 2000 hcl?

Lukesh

"stjoe5373@news.postalias" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a W2K Server box and I've been backing up with Veritas 9.0 for a
> while, I do backup Exchange using the 2000 backup utility to another
> computer. I'm not sure if that information is even relevant, anyway, I have
> a Compaq DAT 40 internal tapedrive in the server but I can't see it from the
> 2000 backup utility is there something I can do to be able to use it or even
> see it with the 2000 Backup utility.
>
> Thanks Craig

Hello Craig,

Thank you for using newsgroup! I am sorry for the delayed response due to
weekend.

For this issue, does the issue always happen? I'd like to provide you with
the following suggestions to troubleshoot:

Suggestion1.
===============
When the issue happens, please verify if the Removable Storage service has
been started. You may follow these to check:
1. Click Start\Run, and type services.msc
2. In the right pane, you will find the Removable Storage service.
3. Make sure startup type has been configured to Started.

Suggestion2.
===============
Download and install the latest drivers for the tape drive.

Suggestion3.
===============
Remove filter driver from Windows Registry.

To do so, delete LowerFilter VALUE of "PXHELPER" from the following
Registry keys:
NOTE: If the PXHelper value is the only value in the LowerFilter key, it is
safe to delete the entire key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6D807884-7D21-11C
F-801C-08002BE10318}\LowerFilter

- and -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{CE5939AE-EBDE-11D
0-B181-0000F8753EC4}\LowerFilter

After deleting the PXHELPER value, remove tape drive from Device Manager.
Reboot the computer to allow the system to redetect the tape drive.

For more information, please refer to the following MS KB articles:

216328 Installed Tape Device Is Not Recognized by Removable Storage Manager
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216328

235032 Problems with a Damaged Removable Storage Manager Database
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=235032

274053 Restore from Backup May Not Work Correctly on HP Travan Tape Drives
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=274053

Hope the suggestions are helpful!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
will redirect until November 1, 2005.
Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
information, please go to:
https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
4662