user profiles

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
January 31, 2005 2:33:03 PM

I am attempting to set up a mandatory profile on my laptop, so that other
users will have to get the profile I want them to get when they log on using
their own accounts. I have set up a folder with the profile I want in the
admin account, and have attempted to point the other users at this profile.
Unfortunatley, I'm having trouble with the path name, and am not sure what it
should be. When I log on as another user, Win XP pro. tries to use the
profile, but comes up with a message that it can't do this, and has to use
the local profile. Can anyone help, or at least tell me where I can find out?
Thanks.

More about : user profiles

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 5:28:58 PM

Please take this question to the windowsxp.configuration_manage and
windowsxp.network_web newsgroups.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Geoff34" <Geoff34@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am attempting to set up a mandatory profile on my laptop, so that other
> users will have to get the profile I want them to get when they log on
> using
> their own accounts. I have set up a folder with the profile I want in the
> admin account, and have attempted to point the other users at this
> profile.
> Unfortunatley, I'm having trouble with the path name, and am not sure what
> it
> should be. When I log on as another user, Win XP pro. tries to use the
> profile, but comes up with a message that it can't do this, and has to use
> the local profile. Can anyone help, or at least tell me where I can find
> out?
> Thanks.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 5:11:01 PM

Please excuse my ignorance (it's my first time ever using a newsgroup!) but I
can't find either of these newsgroups on the list. Can you provide me with a
link?
Thanks.
Geoff.

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Please take this question to the windowsxp.configuration_manage and
> windowsxp.network_web newsgroups.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Geoff34" <Geoff34@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am attempting to set up a mandatory profile on my laptop, so that other
> > users will have to get the profile I want them to get when they log on
> > using
> > their own accounts. I have set up a folder with the profile I want in the
> > admin account, and have attempted to point the other users at this
> > profile.
> > Unfortunatley, I'm having trouble with the path name, and am not sure what
> > it
> > should be. When I log on as another user, Win XP pro. tries to use the
> > profile, but comes up with a message that it can't do this, and has to use
> > the local profile. Can anyone help, or at least tell me where I can find
> > out?
> > Thanks.

February 1, 2005 5:13:01 PM

Please excuse my ignorance (it's my first time ever using a newsgroup!) but I
can't find either of these newsgroups on the list. Can you provide me with a
link?
Thanks.
Geoff.

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Please take this question to the windowsxp.configuration_manage and
> windowsxp.network_web newsgroups.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Geoff34" <Geoff34@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am attempting to set up a mandatory profile on my laptop, so that other
> > users will have to get the profile I want them to get when they log on
> > using
> > their own accounts. I have set up a folder with the profile I want in the
> > admin account, and have attempted to point the other users at this
> > profile.
> > Unfortunatley, I'm having trouble with the path name, and am not sure what
> > it
> > should be. When I log on as another user, Win XP pro. tries to use the
> > profile, but comes up with a message that it can't do this, and has to use
> > the local profile. Can anyone help, or at least tell me where I can find
> > out?
> > Thanks.

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 6:21:31 PM

Are you using a newsreader, like Outlook Express, or a browser?

> Please excuse my ignorance (it's my first time ever using a newsgroup!)
> but I
> can't find either of these newsgroups on the list. Can you provide me with
> link?
> Thanks.
> Geoff.
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Please take this question to the windowsxp.configuration_manage and
>> windowsxp.network_web newsgroups.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Geoff34" <Geoff34@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am attempting to set up a mandatory profile on my laptop, so that
>> >other
>> > users will have to get the profile I want them to get when they log on
>> > using
>> > their own accounts. I have set up a folder with the profile I want in
>> > the
>> > admin account, and have attempted to point the other users at this
>> > profile.
>> > Unfortunatley, I'm having trouble with the path name, and am not sure
>> > what
>> > it
>> > should be. When I log on as another user, Win XP pro. tries to use the
>> > profile, but comes up with a message that it can't do this, and has to
>> > use
>> > the local profile. Can anyone help, or at least tell me where I can
>> > find
>> > out?
>> > Thanks.

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:19:31 PM

> Please excuse my ignorance (it's my first time ever using a
> newsgroup!) but I can't find either of these newsgroups on the list.
> Can you provide me with a link?
> Thanks.
> Geoff.
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Please take this question to the windowsxp.configuration_manage and
>> windowsxp.network_web newsgroups.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User

In OE go to Tools | Accounts | Add (or New) | News.
Set up an account for this news server:

msnews.microsoft.com

The server is free and does not require you to logon. This news server
carries over 2200 newsgroups related to Microsoft products and keeps
messages at least 30 days.

To set up OE for news reading see
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Thanks, Frank, I was offline.

--

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Geoff34" <Geoff34@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Please excuse my ignorance (it's my first time ever using a
>> newsgroup!) but I can't find either of these newsgroups on the list.
>> Can you provide me with a link?
>> Thanks.
>> Geoff.
>>
>> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>>
>>> Please take this question to the windowsxp.configuration_manage and
>>> windowsxp.network_web newsgroups.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>
> In OE go to Tools | Accounts | Add (or New) | News.
> Set up an account for this news server:
>
> msnews.microsoft.com
>
> The server is free and does not require you to logon. This news server
> carries over 2200 newsgroups related to Microsoft products and keeps
> messages at least 30 days.
>
> To set up OE for news reading see
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/defau...

February 1, 2005 10:45:18 PM

> Are you using a newsreader, like Outlook Express, or a browser?
>
>> Please excuse my ignorance (it's my first time ever using a
>> newsgroup!) but I
>> can't find either of these newsgroups on the list. Can you provide
>> me with a
>> link?
>> Thanks.
>> Geoff.

He's using the Web interface.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

I can see I've lot to learn about newsgroups as well as my original question
(which I still don't know the answer to!). I am using IE to access this
group. I haven't got OE so I can't do what was suggested. Any other ideas?
Thanks.

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Thanks, Frank, I was offline.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > "Geoff34" <Geoff34@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Please excuse my ignorance (it's my first time ever using a
> >> newsgroup!) but I can't find either of these newsgroups on the list.
> >> Can you provide me with a link?
> >> Thanks.
> >> Geoff.

> > In OE go to Tools | Accounts | Add (or New) | News.
> > Set up an account for this news server:
> >
> > msnews.microsoft.com
> >
> > The server is free and does not require you to logon. This news server
> > carries over 2200 newsgroups related to Microsoft products and keeps
> > messages at least 30 days.
> >
> > To set up OE for news reading see
> > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...
> >
> > --
> > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> > Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
> > http://www.fjsmjs.com
> > Protect your PC
> > http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/defau...
> > http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:26:58 PM

In news:C418CD62-29D0-429E-8EF5-1239D67617EC@microsoft.com,
Geoff34 <Geoff34@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

>I can see I've lot to learn about newsgroups as well as my
>original
> question (which I still don't know the answer to!). I am using
> IE to
> access this group. I haven't got OE so I can't do what was
> suggested.
> Any other ideas? Thanks.

If you're using Windows XP, you have Outlook Express. It's part
of it.

See http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Frank, I was offline.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in
>> message
>> > "Geoff34" <Geoff34@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> > message

>> > In OE go to Tools | Accounts | Add (or New) | News.
>> > Set up an account for this news server:
>> >
>> > msnews.microsoft.com
>> >
>> > The server is free and does not require you to logon. This
>> > news
>> > server carries over 2200 newsgroups related to Microsoft
>> > products
>> > and keeps messages at least 30 days.
>> >
>> > To set up OE for news reading see
>> > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...
>> >
>> > --
>> > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>> > Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
>> > http://www.fjsmjs.com
>> > Protect your PC
>> > http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/defau...
>> > http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 2:24:21 PM

Geoff34 wrote:
> I can see I've lot to learn about newsgroups as well as my original question
> (which I still don't know the answer to!). I am using IE to access this
> group. I haven't got OE so I can't do what was suggested. Any other ideas?
> Thanks.
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>

>>Thanks, Frank, I was offline.
>>
>>--
>>Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>>Windows Shell/User
>>Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>>DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>>"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Geoff34" <Geoff34@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>>In OE go to Tools | Accounts | Add (or New) | News.
>>>Set up an account for this news server:
>>>
>>>msnews.microsoft.com
>>>
>>>The server is free and does not require you to logon. This news server
>>>carries over 2200 newsgroups related to Microsoft products and keeps
>>>messages at least 30 days.
>>>
>>>To set up OE for news reading see
>>>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...
>>>
>>>--
>>>Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>>>Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
>>>http://www.fjsmjs.com
>>>Protect your PC
>>>http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/defau...
>>>http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

OE comes with every install of Windows for free. Try this:
click start > run> and in the box that pops up type msimn.exe
and hit return. It should start OE.
It should be in your start>programs list

gls858
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:12:50 PM

Through the web interface:
Start here:
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/
Under Community newsgroups, click the plus sign next to English.
Click the plus sign next to Windows.
Click the plus sign next to Configuration/Mgmt.
Select Windows XP Configuration Mgmt.

--

!