arcdrag

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Hey everybody,

I recently built my second computer system and am having some issues with it. I decided to build it because on my old system (AMD Sepron 2800, ATI Radeon 9700) the video stopped showing. It would boot but I couldn't get anything to show on the monitor. Now I began a C2D build and I have the same problem. I assume its the power supply (an Ultra 600W) because that's about the only thing I had on both computers other than the case. I've already checked the monitor and the connection cables on my laptop and they work fine. I've checked to ensure that the video card is properly seated multiple times. The fan on the videocard turns, there is just nothing sent to the monitor. I just wanted a second opinion before I returned my power supply and I'd also like an opinion on a more reliable power supply in the $100 range if that is my problem. I know I dont need 600W and I don't need SLI or anything like that. I just bought that one because it was such a good price.

Current system build
Gigabye GA-965G-DS3 Mobo
C2D E6400
1 GB Corsair Valueselect 5400 DDR2 Ram
XFX 7900GS Video Card
Coolermaster Ammo 533 Case
Ultra XVS 600 W PSU
Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200.10

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some advice as to what else to do or check or whatever.

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
I just had problems with my last build due to the mobo solder points being long and the case having raised spots - these compined to short out the mobo. No permanent damage, just a lot of time wasted.

Anyway I wouldn't immediately think it's the PSU. Try running the comp outside the case on a cardboard box & see if it works there.

Jo

arcdrag

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Thanks, system appears to be perfectly stable now in an older case. I had no clue that the case could possibly be the problem. Even with all the hassle, at least I learned something with this build. Thanks again.
bjk

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Good; I'm glad it works. If you want to use your new case, just insulate the spots where the mobo may touch with elecrtical tape (or put a washer beneath each motherboard standoff to lift the mobo off the case further).

Jo