Sign in with
Your question

Acrylic Cases

Last response: in Systems
January 11, 2007 12:14:08 AM

Ok, so I'm going to build a new system here in *2 months* most-likely...and I'm thinking about getting a clear acrylic case. Now, from reviews I've read on Newegg, almost everyone loves them.

However, I'm hearing some talk about static. A few people mentioned actually replacing MULTIPLE power supplies due to the case gathering huge amounts of static :?

I just want a professional opinion from people on here. Does anyone think this is really any kind of viable risk? I'm not going to be overclocking stuff (at least not very much if I do) and I'm not going to be running a COMPLETELY out of control machine, so I was just curious as to what people think of them. I mean, I'm sure its happened before, but having only seen one or two people mention something about it, while hundreds of other people loved them...I want to get some kind of info beyond the dummies that I've seen post on there :D 

More about : acrylic cases

January 11, 2007 1:40:54 AM

I've been using an acrylic case for about 6 months now and haven't had an issue with static. I have dual power supplies and both still work flawlessly. Most everything should still be grounded through your power supply so I wouldn't worry.
January 11, 2007 1:50:30 AM

As long as you put the case on some sort of hard, flat surface then I see no trouble in getting one. Although, you do have to be gentle with these cases. I helped a buddy of mine throw a computer together using an acrylic case. And taking off the side panel, one of the heads of the screw was stripped(believe it or not). So we ended up yanking it off, and a piece of it chipped off. So be gentle and patient. Also, they usually smudge easily. Fingerprints are easily seen.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 11, 2007 1:54:58 AM

Yeah, I was sure of it being fragile and easily markable. Good to hear about the static though. I have my current comp set up on the bottom shelf of my computer desk, so its plenty flat and there is no carpet in here anyway, so I don't think it will be an issue.

Thanks again :) 
January 11, 2007 1:57:31 AM

Quote:
As long as you put the case on some sort of hard, flat surface then I see no trouble in getting one. Although, you do have to be gentle with these cases. I helped a buddy of mine throw a computer together using an acrylic case. And taking off the side panel, one of the heads of the screw was stripped(believe it or not). So we ended up yanking it off, and a piece of it chipped off. So be gentle and patient. Also, they usually smudge easily. Fingerprints are easily seen.

Agreed, they are very fragile and they show fingerprints and dust VERY easily. If you plan on taking your pc to lan partys etc. an acrylic case is definitely not the way to go, but if it's made to stay in one place they definitely look really good :D 
January 11, 2007 3:52:34 PM

I don't take my computer to LANs....everyone comes to my house :) 
January 11, 2007 6:52:33 PM

There are three major concerns with acrylic - or any plastic - cases that need to be considered.

1) they provide zero protection from Radio Frequency (RF) interference generated by the system. Once upon a time all systems had a FCC class A or B sticker on them. Class A was acceptable for domestic use, Class B for industrial use. The difference was that Class A systems would not emit RF sufficienbt to interfere with the neighbours stereos or garage-door opener, while Class B equipment could and would. This is why Class B was limited to industrial / commercial use. Not too many stereos or garage-door openers in industrial parks don't ya know. In a domestic situation, you need to take RF interference generated by your system into account. And the faster and more powerful the system, the more RF it generates - it's the nature of the beast. Ignoring the issue of any effects on the neighbour, there is the question of what will be affected in your own house. Now, it is true that significant improvements in reduction of RF interfereance have been made over the years, but this is still an issue. And if your computer is messing up your neighbour's stereo or other electronic gear, guess who will be shut down.

2) Acrylic cases are an excellent source of static electricity, and are very difficult to ground properly. Static electricity is not what one could call a friend of electronics.

3) they are much more fragile than metal cases and easy to scratch.

Unless you are building a specialized show-off or sales system, an acrylic case is not something I would recommend.

Hope this helps.
!