C drive letter is the same as F

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 10, 2005 1:41:48 AM

Hi,

I think this is very strange and would like to get it fixed. Here goes...
When I setup my server a year ago I had to logical drives a C and D. Today
I see a C, D and F, the weird this is that C and F are the same. If I go to
DiskManager it shows D and F on Disk 0. I just want my C and D back, please
help.

Thanks

Tim

More about : drive letter

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 12:32:37 PM

Did you install the rollup? Seems duplicate mounting of the %systemdrive%
can be a side effect.

Rollup 1 for Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Tim J" wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I think this is very strange and would like to get it fixed. Here goes...
| When I setup my server a year ago I had to logical drives a C and D.
Today
| I see a C, D and F, the weird this is that C and F are the same. If I go
| DiskManager it shows D and F on Disk 0. I just want my C and D back,
please
| help.
|
| Thanks
|
| Tim

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 4:47:36 PM

"Tim J" <Tim.J@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I think this is very strange and would like to get it fixed. Here goes...
> When I setup my server a year ago I had to logical drives a C and D.
Today
> I see a C, D and F, the weird this is that C and F are the same. If I go
> DiskManager it shows D and F on Disk 0. I just want my C and D back,
please
> help.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim

You write that you have "logical drives a C and D". I think this is
unlikely: You probably have drive C: on a primary partition and
drive D: on a logical partition.

About your duplicated drive: Run regedit.exe, then navigate to
HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. Now delete \DosDevices\F:,
then reboot the machine. This is a safe remedy, as Windows would
automatically restore values deleted from here by mistake.
September 10, 2005 4:47:37 PM

Thanks, that kinda worked. So now DiskManger shows the correct settings but
I still see F: in explorer and in Logical Drives. Any more good tips?

Thanks for your help Pegasus.

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
news:o P5VCIbtFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> "Tim J" <Tim.J@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think this is very strange and would like to get it fixed. Here goes...
>> When I setup my server a year ago I had to logical drives a C and D.
> Today
>> I see a C, D and F, the weird this is that C and F are the same. If I go
>> DiskManager it shows D and F on Disk 0. I just want my C and D back,
> please
>> help.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Tim
>
> You write that you have "logical drives a C and D". I think this is
> unlikely: You probably have drive C: on a primary partition and
> drive D: on a logical partition.
>
> About your duplicated drive: Run regedit.exe, then navigate to
> HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. Now delete \DosDevices\F:,
> then reboot the machine. This is a safe remedy, as Windows would
> automatically restore values deleted from here by mistake.

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 8:21:19 PM

Check your mapped network drives and your substituted drives!

> Thanks, that kinda worked. So now DiskManger shows the correct settings
but
> I still see F: in explorer and in Logical Drives. Any more good tips?
>
> Thanks for your help Pegasus.
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> news:o P5VCIbtFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >
> > "Tim J" <Tim.J@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I think this is very strange and would like to get it fixed. Here
goes...
> >> When I setup my server a year ago I had to logical drives a C and D.
> > Today
> >> I see a C, D and F, the weird this is that C and F are the same. If I
go
> >> DiskManager it shows D and F on Disk 0. I just want my C and D back,
> > please
> >> help.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Tim
> >
> > You write that you have "logical drives a C and D". I think this is
> > unlikely: You probably have drive C: on a primary partition and
> > drive D: on a logical partition.
> >
> > About your duplicated drive: Run regedit.exe, then navigate to
> > HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. Now delete \DosDevices\F:,
> > then reboot the machine. This is a safe remedy, as Windows would
> > automatically restore values deleted from here by mistake.

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 8:21:20 PM

I have no mapped drives, in explorer it says F: is local. When I go into
Computer Mangement\Storage\Disk Mangement it looks fine but if I go
Mangement\Storage\Logical Drives it lists F: as a Local Drive. Hope that
helps.

Thanks

> Check your mapped network drives and your substituted drives!
>

> "Tim J" <Tim.J@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, that kinda worked. So now DiskManger shows the correct settings
> but
>> I still see F: in explorer and in Logical Drives. Any more good tips?
>>
>> Thanks for your help Pegasus.
>>
>> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
>> news:o P5VCIbtFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> >
>> > "Tim J" <Tim.J@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> goes...
>> > Today
> go
>> > please

>> > You write that you have "logical drives a C and D". I think this is
>> > unlikely: You probably have drive C: on a primary partition and
>> > drive D: on a logical partition.
>> >
>> > About your duplicated drive: Run regedit.exe, then navigate to
>> > HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. Now delete \DosDevices\F:,
>> > then reboot the machine. This is a safe remedy, as Windows would
>> > automatically restore values deleted from here by mistake.

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 11:14:02 AM

Dave Patrick is absolutely right. Microsoft has come up with a hotfix 904564
to resolve this issue. It is an internal hotfix. Hence, you have to call the
microsoft. The hotfix is free.

Lukesh

"Tim J" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think this is very strange and would like to get it fixed. Here goes...
> When I setup my server a year ago I had to logical drives a C and D. Today
> I see a C, D and F, the weird this is that C and F are the same. If I go to
> DiskManager it shows D and F on Disk 0. I just want my C and D back, please
> help.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 2:09:03 PM

How about your substituted drives?

> I have no mapped drives, in explorer it says F: is local. When I go into
> Computer Mangement\Storage\Disk Mangement it looks fine but if I go
> Mangement\Storage\Logical Drives it lists F: as a Local Drive. Hope that
> helps.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> > Check your mapped network drives and your substituted drives!
> >

> > "Tim J" <Tim.J@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Thanks, that kinda worked. So now DiskManger shows the correct settings
> > but
> >> I still see F: in explorer and in Logical Drives. Any more good tips?
> >>
> >> Thanks for your help Pegasus.
> >>
> >> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> >> news:o P5VCIbtFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> > goes...
> > go

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 4:10:24 PM

You need to follow the instructions here to correct the mounting problem. A
new rollup will be issued at a later date.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];223188

--

"Don M" wrote:
| Ok, now I am in hot water and yes I have roll up on.
|
| I followed this tid http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861 section On a
| computer that uses dynamic disks, two system drives may appear after you
| install Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4. Now my server gives this
blue
| screen error when it restarts *** STOP: 0X000000C2 0C00000040,
| 0X0000000, 0X80000000, 0X0000000)
| BAD_POLL_CALLER
|
| Any good ideas on how I can fix this before 8am Monday?
|
| Thanks
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 4:37:14 PM

If none of the links I provided help then you're probably looking at
restoring the server.

--

"Tim J" wrote:
| That may work if I can get back intothe system but for now I get the error
| and it blue screens. Safe mode gives the same error.
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 5:48:18 PM

No idea really. Where did you come up with this?

--

"Tim J" wrote:
| Do you think this will work?
|
| Boot to the recovery console. Go to c:\winnt\system32\drivers and rename
| mountmgr.sys to mountmgr.old. Go to cdrom<driveletter>:\1386\. Type expand
| mountmgr.sy_ c:\winnt\system32\drivers. Try to boot up now. In case it
| errors out about the virtual memory being low, connect the network
registry
| and
| follow step 3 of your post.
| >
| Lukesh
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 6:23:03 PM

Hi Tim,
This will surely work

"Tim J" wrote:

> Do you think this will work?
>
> Boot to the recovery console. Go to c:\winnt\system32\drivers and rename
> mountmgr.sys to mountmgr.old. Go to cdrom<driveletter>:\1386\. Type expand
> mountmgr.sy_ c:\winnt\system32\drivers. Try to boot up now. In case it
> errors out about the virtual memory being low, connect the network registry
> and
> follow step 3 of your post.
> >
> Lukesh
>
> "Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
> > If none of the links I provided help then you're probably looking at
> > restoring the server.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >
> > "Tim J" wrote:
> > | That may work if I can get back intothe system but for now I get the
> > error
> > | and it blue screens. Safe mode gives the same error.

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 7:00:30 PM

Thanks Lukesh

You're the best that worked like a charm.

Tim

"lukesh" <lukesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Tim,
> This will surely work
>
> "Tim J" wrote:
>
>> Do you think this will work?
>>
>> Boot to the recovery console. Go to c:\winnt\system32\drivers and rename
>> mountmgr.sys to mountmgr.old. Go to cdrom<driveletter>:\1386\. Type
>> expand
>> mountmgr.sy_ c:\winnt\system32\drivers. Try to boot up now. In case it
>> errors out about the virtual memory being low, connect the network
>> registry
>> and
>> follow step 3 of your post.
>> >
>> Lukesh
>>
>> "Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > If none of the links I provided help then you're probably looking at
>> > restoring the server.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>> > Microsoft Certified Professional
>> > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

>> > error