C drive letter is the same as F

Hi,

I think this is very strange and would like to get it fixed. Here goes...
When I setup my server a year ago I had to logical drives a C and D. Today
I see a C, D and F, the weird this is that C and F are the same. If I go to
DiskManager it shows D and F on Disk 0. I just want my C and D back, please
help.

Thanks

Tim
13 answers Last reply
More about drive letter

    Did you install the rollup? Seems duplicate mounting of the %systemdrive%
    can be a side effect.

    Rollup 1 for Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Tim J" <Tim.J@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I think this is very strange and would like to get it fixed. Here goes...
    > When I setup my server a year ago I had to logical drives a C and D.
    Today
    > I see a C, D and F, the weird this is that C and F are the same. If I go
    > DiskManager it shows D and F on Disk 0. I just want my C and D back,
    please
    > help.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tim

    You write that you have "logical drives a C and D". I think this is
    unlikely: You probably have drive C: on a primary partition and
    drive D: on a logical partition.

    About your duplicated drive: Run regedit.exe, then navigate to
    HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. Now delete \DosDevices\F:,
    then reboot the machine. This is a safe remedy, as Windows would
    automatically restore values deleted from here by mistake.

    Thanks, that kinda worked. So now DiskManger shows the correct settings but
    I still see F: in explorer and in Logical Drives. Any more good tips?

    Thanks for your help Pegasus.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

    > "Tim J" <Tim.J@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I think this is very strange and would like to get it fixed. Here goes...
    >> When I setup my server a year ago I had to logical drives a C and D.
    > Today
    >> I see a C, D and F, the weird this is that C and F are the same. If I go
    >> DiskManager it shows D and F on Disk 0. I just want my C and D back,
    > please
    >> help.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Tim
    >
    > You write that you have "logical drives a C and D". I think this is
    > unlikely: You probably have drive C: on a primary partition and
    > drive D: on a logical partition.
    >
    > About your duplicated drive: Run regedit.exe, then navigate to
    > HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. Now delete \DosDevices\F:,
    > then reboot the machine. This is a safe remedy, as Windows would
    > automatically restore values deleted from here by mistake.

    Check your mapped network drives and your substituted drives!

    > Thanks, that kinda worked. So now DiskManger shows the correct settings
    but
    > I still see F: in explorer and in Logical Drives. Any more good tips?
    >
    > Thanks for your help Pegasus.
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Tim J" <Tim.J@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I think this is very strange and would like to get it fixed. Here
    goes...
    > >> When I setup my server a year ago I had to logical drives a C and D.
    > > Today
    > >> I see a C, D and F, the weird this is that C and F are the same. If I
    go
    > >> DiskManager it shows D and F on Disk 0. I just want my C and D back,
    > > please
    > >> help.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >>
    > >> Tim
    > >
    > > You write that you have "logical drives a C and D". I think this is
    > > unlikely: You probably have drive C: on a primary partition and
    > > drive D: on a logical partition.
    > >
    > > About your duplicated drive: Run regedit.exe, then navigate to
    > > HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. Now delete \DosDevices\F:,
    > > then reboot the machine. This is a safe remedy, as Windows would
    > > automatically restore values deleted from here by mistake.

    I have no mapped drives, in explorer it says F: is local. When I go into
    Computer Mangement\Storage\Disk Mangement it looks fine but if I go
    Mangement\Storage\Logical Drives it lists F: as a Local Drive. Hope that
    helps.

    Thanks

    > Check your mapped network drives and your substituted drives!
    >

    > "Tim J" <Tim.J@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks, that kinda worked. So now DiskManger shows the correct settings
    > but
    >> I still see F: in explorer and in Logical Drives. Any more good tips?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help Pegasus.
    >>
    >> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Tim J" <Tim.J@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > goes...
    >> > Today
    > go
    >> > please

    >> > You write that you have "logical drives a C and D". I think this is
    >> > unlikely: You probably have drive C: on a primary partition and
    >> > drive D: on a logical partition.
    >> >
    >> > About your duplicated drive: Run regedit.exe, then navigate to
    >> > HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. Now delete \DosDevices\F:,
    >> > then reboot the machine. This is a safe remedy, as Windows would
    >> > automatically restore values deleted from here by mistake.

    Dave Patrick is absolutely right. Microsoft has come up with a hotfix 904564
    to resolve this issue. It is an internal hotfix. Hence, you have to call the
    microsoft. The hotfix is free.

    Lukesh

    "Tim J" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I think this is very strange and would like to get it fixed. Here goes...
    > When I setup my server a year ago I had to logical drives a C and D. Today
    > I see a C, D and F, the weird this is that C and F are the same. If I go to
    > DiskManager it shows D and F on Disk 0. I just want my C and D back, please
    > help.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tim

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    How about your substituted drives?

    > I have no mapped drives, in explorer it says F: is local. When I go into
    > Computer Mangement\Storage\Disk Mangement it looks fine but if I go
    > Mangement\Storage\Logical Drives it lists F: as a Local Drive. Hope that
    > helps.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > > Check your mapped network drives and your substituted drives!
    > >

    > > "Tim J" <Tim.J@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Thanks, that kinda worked. So now DiskManger shows the correct settings
    > > but
    > >> I still see F: in explorer and in Logical Drives. Any more good tips?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for your help Pegasus.
    > >>
    > >> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

    > > goes...
    > > go

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    You need to follow the instructions here to correct the mounting problem. A
    new rollup will be issued at a later date.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];223188

    --

    "Don M" wrote:
    | Ok, now I am in hot water and yes I have roll up on.
    |
    | I followed this tid http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861 section On a
    | computer that uses dynamic disks, two system drives may appear after you
    | install Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4. Now my server gives this
    blue
    | screen error when it restarts *** STOP: 0X000000C2 0C00000040,
    | 0X0000000, 0X80000000, 0X0000000)
    | BAD_POLL_CALLER
    |
    | Any good ideas on how I can fix this before 8am Monday?
    |
    | Thanks
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    If none of the links I provided help then you're probably looking at
    restoring the server.

    --

    "Tim J" wrote:
    | That may work if I can get back intothe system but for now I get the error
    | and it blue screens. Safe mode gives the same error.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    No idea really. Where did you come up with this?

    --

    "Tim J" wrote:
    | Do you think this will work?
    |
    | Boot to the recovery console. Go to c:\winnt\system32\drivers and rename
    | mountmgr.sys to mountmgr.old. Go to cdrom<driveletter>:\1386\. Type expand
    | mountmgr.sy_ c:\winnt\system32\drivers. Try to boot up now. In case it
    | errors out about the virtual memory being low, connect the network
    registry
    | and
    | follow step 3 of your post.
    | >
    | Lukesh
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Hi Tim,
    This will surely work

    "Tim J" wrote:

    > Do you think this will work?
    >
    > Boot to the recovery console. Go to c:\winnt\system32\drivers and rename
    > mountmgr.sys to mountmgr.old. Go to cdrom<driveletter>:\1386\. Type expand
    > mountmgr.sy_ c:\winnt\system32\drivers. Try to boot up now. In case it
    > errors out about the virtual memory being low, connect the network registry
    > and
    > follow step 3 of your post.
    > >
    > Lukesh
    >
    > "Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > If none of the links I provided help then you're probably looking at
    > > restoring the server.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    > >
    > > "Tim J" wrote:
    > > | That may work if I can get back intothe system but for now I get the
    > > error
    > > | and it blue screens. Safe mode gives the same error.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Thanks Lukesh

    You're the best that worked like a charm.

    Tim

    "lukesh" <lukesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Tim,
    > This will surely work
    >
    > "Tim J" wrote:
    >
    >> Do you think this will work?
    >>
    >> Boot to the recovery console. Go to c:\winnt\system32\drivers and rename
    >> mountmgr.sys to mountmgr.old. Go to cdrom<driveletter>:\1386\. Type
    >> expand
    >> mountmgr.sy_ c:\winnt\system32\drivers. Try to boot up now. In case it
    >> errors out about the virtual memory being low, connect the network
    >> registry
    >> and
    >> follow step 3 of your post.
    >> >
    >> Lukesh
    >>
    >> "Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > If none of the links I provided help then you're probably looking at
    >> > restoring the server.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Regards,
    >> >
    >> > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    >> > Microsoft Certified Professional
    >> > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    >> > error

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    You are welcome :-)

    "Tim J" wrote:

    > Thanks Lukesh
    >
    > You're the best that worked like a charm.
    >
    > Tim
    >
    > "lukesh" <lukesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Tim,
    > > This will surely work
    > >
    > > "Tim J" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Do you think this will work?
    > >>
    > >> Boot to the recovery console. Go to c:\winnt\system32\drivers and rename
    > >> mountmgr.sys to mountmgr.old. Go to cdrom<driveletter>:\1386\. Type
    > >> expand
    > >> mountmgr.sy_ c:\winnt\system32\drivers. Try to boot up now. In case it
    > >> errors out about the virtual memory being low, connect the network
    > >> registry
    > >> and
    > >> follow step 3 of your post.
    > >> >
    > >> Lukesh