Core 2 Duo Build 1-10-07, What to buy?

SwervE

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Looking to build a new system for mainly gaming and everyday use. I am at this point kinda convinced that the core 2 duo is one of my best options for performance and cost. Perhaps not the best out there for gaming but should do the trick.

I am looking into getting this cpu:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115003

If there is another cpu I should consider please tell me and why. I will also be doing some overclocking but this will be my first overclock as well.

Next question would be mobo? Which one to get? I was thinkin about spending the extra money and gettting the 680i chipset with perhaps the evga board. Any thoughts or recomendations there?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813188009

other options:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Category=20&N=2010200280+1070509908+4802&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=280

As far as Ram goes I open to suggestions. Also should I be purchasing a aftermarket cpu heatsink-fan?

All I will really be needing is the cpu, mobo, and ram. I currently have a adm 3400 socket 754, I will be replacing these of course. I'd like to get some freindly advice as I am much behind on the new info.

If you need any aditional info let me know as I will be monitoring this post.

Thanks

SwervE

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Thanks for the tips, I will pick up that ram and stick with the core 2 duo. I really do want to overclock a lil bit though. I think it's kinda a waste if you don't considering what the chip can do. I will be very carefull though and if I mess up I will buy another.

I am still open to suggestions on which board to get if there are any other thoughts. I probably will not use sli. But I am not affraid to spend some money will a more expensive board benefit me in any other way?

Thanks agiain

Featherstone

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
I adore my Abit AB9 Mobo.

As far as processor goes I would get an E6400 before a 6600. that will save you a lot of money and the 6400 OC's almost as well.

Nomans63

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
SwervE, that G.SKILL cheap ram F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ won't get you far in OCing. I'm not sure how far you can go with that from the stock speed 2.4GHz of the E6600, but I honestly don't think you can take it to 2.9GHz with that memory. Think about how much you want to OC the E6600 eventually first, then look at the DDR2 stick you want to get. I'm talking OCing the E6600 on air only, not water or any extreme overclocking.

If you want to OC the E6600 to 3GHz+, you'll need a more expensive memory for sure (CAS-4 instead of CAS-5). I'm running the E6600 at 3.15 GHz with the Abit AB9 Pro and Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 on a Zalman 7700Cu and there are some more headroom left for further overclocking. But at 3.15 GHz, I'm more comfortable with the current CPU temps (around 38-40 Celcius idle, 52-55 load).

SwervE

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Thank you, you all are being very helpful. I will be pooling your ideas and post back with what I decide.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Yes, unless you REALLY need the SLI mobo, consider a good 965 chipset. The Gigabyte 965P-DS3 is great, very easy to overclock for beginners.

You will, however, need better RAM. If you want good overclocking performance look for RAM that contains Micron D9 chips which are by far the best overclockers. However, if you want some OC'ing on a budget, look at some OCZ....it's a reasonable price and good overclocking. From my sig, you can see that I've hit 3.0 ghz no problem on a 6300, S3, and OCZ combo, and it didn't break the bank.

As for overclocking in general, don't worry about "breaking" your CPU. Depending on which mobo and RAM you get, someone can even post settings for you that'll be stable and good temps. Contrary to popular opinion, it's not that easy to burn out a CPU by simply attempting a little overclocking. It only gets dicey when you start to crank up the volts ALOT and have poor cooling. And I doubt ANYONE is stupid enough to do that right off the bat, or without doing a bit of reading first, or without asking for some help.

Note that I've hit 3.0 ghz on a 6300 at less than stock vCore. I haven't even push my volts on my CPU above stock!! So don't worry too much about breaking your new CPU. As long as you get informed, these chips have some awesome headroom and you'll be able to push it easily into higher territory, even without much voltage tweaking.

Just get some decent RAM, spend another $50, and you'll do fine. An aftermarket CPU cooler wouldn't hurt either.......not necessary, but helps and it'll be more quiet too. Just a heads-up.