dual boot W2K and Win 3.11 - sep HDDs, pre-existing OSs

I have each OS pre-existing on its' own HDD.
The current user has been physically connecting one or the other HDD as the
IDE Primary Master. I would like to try and connect both drives at once such
that a choice between OSs' can be made during boot but am unsure how to
proceed when both OSs are already installed and configured - each on its' own
drive.
Can I simply make the Win 3.11 drive ... let's say ... the Secondary Master,
then create a boot.ini file at the root of the W2K drive and edit it to
reflect my desired OS nomenclature, boot sequence / default / delay? Or are
there going to be other issues?

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have each OS pre-existing on its' own HDD.
> The current user has been physically connecting one or the other HDD as
the
> IDE Primary Master. I would like to try and connect both drives at once
such
> that a choice between OSs' can be made during boot but am unsure how to
> proceed when both OSs are already installed and configured - each on its'
own
> drive.
> Can I simply make the Win 3.11 drive ... let's say ... the Secondary
Master,
> then create a boot.ini file at the root of the W2K drive and edit it to
> reflect my desired OS nomenclature, boot sequence / default / delay? Or
are
> there going to be other issues?

Your Win2000 drive is most likely a FAT32 or an NTFS drive,
neither of which is recognised by Win311 - yet the boot files
for Win311 must reside on the boot drive (which is the Win2000
drive)!

Your best option goes like this:
- Download a free copy of the XOSL boot manager.
- Install it on the secondary master disk.
- Add the two OSs to its menu.
- Instruct it to swap disks when launching Win311

Thanks much Pegasus ... I'll give that a whirl and report back in due course.
Kevin

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have each OS pre-existing on its' own HDD.
> > The current user has been physically connecting one or the other HDD as
> the
> > IDE Primary Master. I would like to try and connect both drives at once
> such
> > that a choice between OSs' can be made during boot but am unsure how to
> > proceed when both OSs are already installed and configured - each on its'
> own
> > drive.
> > Can I simply make the Win 3.11 drive ... let's say ... the Secondary
> Master,
> > then create a boot.ini file at the root of the W2K drive and edit it to
> > reflect my desired OS nomenclature, boot sequence / default / delay? Or
> are
> > there going to be other issues?
>
> Your Win2000 drive is most likely a FAT32 or an NTFS drive,
> neither of which is recognised by Win311 - yet the boot files
> for Win311 must reside on the boot drive (which is the Win2000
> drive)!
>
> Your best option goes like this:
> - Download a free copy of the XOSL boot manager.
> - Install it on the secondary master disk.
> - Add the two OSs to its menu.
> - Instruct it to swap disks when launching Win311

Say Pegasus ... I've now read through the install procedure for XOSL ... I
gather I would prepare by physically connecting both HDDs: W2K as Prim Mstr,
Win 3.11 as Sec Mstr, then boot W2K to MS-DOS (I have a boot disk: Windows
Millennium [Version 4.90.3000]), then run (XOSL)INSTALL.EXE from a floppy
containing all the files in the unzipped 'xosl' folder ... XOSL INSTALL
UTILITY should then see the Win 3.11 Sec Mstr HDD as D:/ ... allowing me to
'Install (XOSL) on a DOS drive' (D:/) ...
Would you recommend installing Ranish Partition Manager and / or Smart Boot
Manager?

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have each OS pre-existing on its' own HDD.
> > The current user has been physically connecting one or the other HDD as
> the
> > IDE Primary Master. I would like to try and connect both drives at once
> such
> > that a choice between OSs' can be made during boot but am unsure how to
> > proceed when both OSs are already installed and configured - each on its'
> own
> > drive.
> > Can I simply make the Win 3.11 drive ... let's say ... the Secondary
> Master,
> > then create a boot.ini file at the root of the W2K drive and edit it to
> > reflect my desired OS nomenclature, boot sequence / default / delay? Or
> are
> > there going to be other issues?
>
> Your Win2000 drive is most likely a FAT32 or an NTFS drive,
> neither of which is recognised by Win311 - yet the boot files
> for Win311 must reside on the boot drive (which is the Win2000
> drive)!
>
> Your best option goes like this:
> - Download a free copy of the XOSL boot manager.
> - Install it on the secondary master disk.
> - Add the two OSs to its menu.
> - Instruct it to swap disks when launching Win311

See below.

> Say Pegasus ... I've now read through the install procedure for XOSL ... I
> gather I would prepare by physically connecting both HDDs: W2K as Prim
Mstr,
> Win 3.11 as Sec Mstr,
Yes. Win3.11 can also be a slave - suit yourself.

> then boot W2K to MS-DOS (I have a boot disk: Windows Millennium
> [Version 4.90.3000]),
Yes, if it gives you a DOS prompt. If not, get a Win98 boot disk from
www.bootdisk.com.

> then run (XOSL)INSTALL.EXE from a floppy containing all the files
> in the unzipped 'xosl' folder
Yes.

> ... XOSL INSTALL UTILITY should then see the Win 3.11 Sec Mstr
> HDD as D:/
Or maybe C:\, if your Win2000 partition is NTFS.

> ... allowing me to 'Install (XOSL) on a DOS drive' (D:/) ...
Yes.

> Would you recommend installing Ranish Partition Manager and / or
> Smart Boot Manager?
My version of XOSL includes the Ranish Partition Manager. You
may not need it but it won't hurt having it.

> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

> > "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have each OS pre-existing on its' own HDD.
> > > The current user has been physically connecting one or the other HDD
as
> > the
> > > IDE Primary Master. I would like to try and connect both drives at
once
> > such
> > > that a choice between OSs' can be made during boot but am unsure how
> > > proceed when both OSs are already installed and configured - each on
its'
> > own
> > > drive.
> > > Can I simply make the Win 3.11 drive ... let's say ... the Secondary
> > Master,
> > > then create a boot.ini file at the root of the W2K drive and edit it
> > > reflect my desired OS nomenclature, boot sequence / default / delay?
Or
> > are
> > > there going to be other issues?
> >
> > Your Win2000 drive is most likely a FAT32 or an NTFS drive,
> > neither of which is recognised by Win311 - yet the boot files
> > for Win311 must reside on the boot drive (which is the Win2000
> > drive)!
> >
> > Your best option goes like this:
> > - Download a free copy of the XOSL boot manager.
> > - Install it on the secondary master disk.
> > - Add the two OSs to its menu.
> > - Instruct it to swap disks when launching Win311

Thanks again Pegasus ... I appreciate the help ... I'll be trying this come
Monday ... Later

TRENDING THREADS