CPU upgrade of a X Series 232, 8668-42X

cartoper

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
I just bought a IBM X Series 232, 8668-42X off of eBay. It has a 1.26GHz PIII in it. From what I can tell, the 42X denotes the CPU speed. It is a dual processing system that only has one CPU in it. I would like to turn it into a dual processing box. I figured while I was going about adding CPU's I would simply get two faster chips. The problem is I don't have a clue how fast a chip I can put in the machine.

Considering it currently has a 1.26GHz CPU, what should the fast CPU I can put in it? Is there any chipset on the motherboard that might aid me in figuring this out?

Well there are no fast chips you can put into it. I'm sure someone can figure out the least slowest chip though. However, you've got to realize that one Core 2 Duo, even a super-budget one, would spank that system even with two Pentium III's.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
If the chipset can do Tualatins and not just Coppermine-based PIIIs, dual 1.4Ghz PIII-S's are possible (the ones with 512k of L2).

As it is, the second processor you are looking at will be okay. Performance won't be outstanding by "modern" standards, but it will multitask smoothly in Windows with enough RAM and have a tad bit of "oomph." Doesn't hurt that software is increasingly multithreaded.