EVGA 680i Motherboard - most worthy cooler?

blacklist

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
If you own the 680i motherboard you know that a lot of these coolers have backplates and most of them have to be dremeled so that they will fit. I'm looking for a cooler that is easy to install, and one that doesnt weigh too much.

Some of these have the same mounting mechanism as the stock CPU cooler. My only worry is that with that limited support, the weight will cause problems.

A couple of options I have here
Thermalright XP-90 (not that far off from the 120)
Thermalright SI-128
Scythe Ninja
Scythe Infinity (nearly 1k grams)
Tuniq Tower 120 (never in stock, also heavy)

I'm looking for the best option as far as cooling goes. I know Tuniq is supposed to be the best but you can never find one. I listed Scythe ninja because of its weight vs the infinity.

It doesnt have to be the absolute best, I just want one that will probably fit without covering my ram or clearance issues. I have an Antec 900 case if that matters. It seems deep enough for the tuniq tower.

Any suggestions are welcome, and thank you in advance :)

njvsav

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
http://epowerhousepc.com/

Has the Tuniq in stock, I just ordered mine yesterday and it shipped.

As far as weight, it's not really an issue unless you're building a lan party rig you're going to be moving around alot and even then if you're careful it's not too risky. You can also 'rig' some extra support being creative with zip ties if you're REALLY worried.

The Tuniq offers the best cooling, the best clearance due to the height from the socket AND the fan being mid-ship. It was a no brainer for me.

Mine will be here tommorrow, but all the research I've done indicates that the backplate DOES NOT need to be modified to fit the reference 680i boards (eVga, BFG, etc).

If you'd like I'll pop back in here tommorrow and confirm that after I install it. :)

blacklist

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
haha thats great, I saw it on newegg just before coming here. I ordered it shortly after flipping out for a few seconds.