getting your system to run below room temp

lewbaseball07

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
How would i get my system running below room temp without using liquid nitrogen or vegetable oil???

my idea...see water/ice cooling thread...

any others??

when i mean system i mean processor and video card not the whole computer. If you have any ideas on cooling the whole system under rooom temp plz share also..

thanks..lewey..

tomhole

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Put it in a freezer.

After starting a new build and seeing my temps soar to 70C, I started looking at cooling options. SO far, air cooling is working fine for me. Cost about $100 (good case, good CPU cooler, fans).

Good water cooling costs about $300 or so.

Now I'm wondering why we just don't spend $170 on a chest freezer (a used one would be $50) and stick the whole case in there. Should be able to get close to freezing at the CPU if the ambient is 0F.

Just a thought. A lot cheaper and easier than some of these other idears.

Tom

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
A mini fridge wouldnt work. There made to cool something down and keep it at that temp, like a bottle of water. A pc is like a heater, its a constant source of heat, the cooling unit inside the fridge isnt made to continuously cool down a hot item, its made to cool it then keep it cool. As long as the pc isnt on i guess it would work, but not if its on. The only way you could use a fridge is if you stripped out the stock vapor phase change system and replaced it with a custom built one with considerably more power.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
A mini fridge wouldnt work. There made to cool something down and keep it at that temp, like a bottle of water. A pc is like a heater, its a constant source of heat, the cooling unit inside the fridge isnt made to continuously cool down a hot item, its made to cool it then keep it cool. As long as the pc isnt on i guess it would work, but not if its on. The only way you could use a fridge is if you stripped out the stock vapor phase change system and replaced it with a custom built one with considerably more power.

The man speaks the truth. Once the world understands how refrigerators work, that idea will never surface :p

Phase change, cascade and TEC are all possible to drop under room temp. Why you want to deal with sub ambient temps? Not sure. If you are going for OC records, just use dry ice or LN2.

One funny effect I get with my new case is lower CPU temps than case temps. Right now my CPU is idling at 13C and my case temp is at 17C :p

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Phase change, cascade and TEC are all possible to drop under room temp. Why you want to deal with sub ambient temps? Not sure. If you are going for OC records, just use dry ice or LN2.

Liquid Helium would be better then LN2. I think a cooler that used some kind of superfluid would be awesome, but it would take alot to keep it cold enough.

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Liquid helium requires minimum melting pressures of 25 atm 29 atm at 0.3 K. Suffice to say, that once its exposed to regular atmosphere is would rappidly boil. I'm not an expert with liquid helium but it seems that it would be extremely unpractical to use it. Since liquid nitrogen can even cool a prescott! and still be cooling it to well and far below zero.

One thing i can think of is that the colder circuits get the better they conduct electricity. If you could use liquid helium maybe it would cause all the transistors to have zero electro resistance since they would act like superconductors. So there would be no heat created by resistance of conducting. Seems like the real limitation is the processor itself, i remember watching toms overclock a prescott to over 5 ghz with liquid nitrogen, they got even higher than that but i think it crashed soon after.

here's some info on liquid helium, please correct me if i was not accurate.

liquid helium
more info

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I read about cooling with liquid metal about a year ago. (Just like a watercooling system, but with a metal that's liquid at room temperatures). I suppose it's still in the R&D stage. Let me try to dig up some info on that.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Found this:

Sapphire Radeon X850 XT PE Blizzard, with a stock cooler developed by a company called "NanoCoolers". (google them).
Chip cooled to 12 degrees centigrade. (below ambient isn't it?)

The metal is supposedly gallium, but it was not confirmed by Sapphire at that time. Disclosed info: boiling point at 2000 C, thermal conductivity 65 times higher than that of water.

blowing air still required. Anyways. Check out this article. No need to know Russian, the diagrams are in English.

http://www.overclockers.ru/hardnews/18847.shtml

UPdate: it's a gallium based alloy. The stuff is pumped by electromagnetic forces, not a hydraulic pump.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Thats pretty cool, but ineffective for below zero cooling, gallium melts as about 29°C, mercury would probably be a better choice, it has a melting point of about -38°C.

I had an idea a while ago, make a thermal paste out of pulverized diamond, diamond conducts heat alot better then something like silver. It would also be alot more dangerous and expensive. Maybe even as a hsf, it conducts heat 5 times better then copper.

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
if its winter time open the window.

are you kidding? the american co2 did it this time: january temperature in sweden : 5-10C, rains. Frikkin trees are starting to flower (the less inteligent ones =)

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
below zero always poses a danger of frost, or moisture build-up, like was said above.
Mercury is pretty damn expensive and harmful. Surely more expensive than gallium. A week doesn't pass without me reading in the news about another guy who tried to push a kilo or two of red mercury in the black market, for an outrageous sum of money. ))

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
below zero always poses a danger of frost, or moisture build-up, like was said above.
Mercury is pretty damn expensive and harmful. Surely more expensive than gallium. A week doesn't pass without me reading in the news about another guy who tried to push a kilo or two of red mercury in the black market, for an outrageous sum of money. ))

Mercury is never red. It is grey with a metallic shine.

From wikipedia:
Red mercury is a mythical substance that was claimed to be used in the creation of nuclear bombs. Samples obtained from arrested would-be terrorists invariably consisted of nothing more than various red dyes or powders of little value, which some suspect was being sold as part of a campaign intended to flush out potential terrorist organizations. Although this conclusion appears fairly strong, red mercury remains a topic of some dispute.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Have I been living under a rock, and liquid nitrogen has become an over-the-counter kinda stuff, that is cheap and easy to handle at home?

I assume that the person who started the topic meant a constantly running system, not standing next to the motherboard and pouring nitrogen on the CPU

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Really? I thought it was a joke alltogether. What on earth would that do good?
So that you can cool your coke in the case or what?

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
besides liquid helium was mentioned here already so i guess liquid nitrogen is in fact much more of a over-the-counter thing in comparison.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Hmm, apparently the Soviet secret services also used the hypothetical red mercury to pick out terrorists and other enemies of the state. I guess the name stuck.

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
lol. Don't you know in America you can buy plutonium at the gas station? And we carry flux capacitators at walmart (on sale this week too!). Heck, we get liquid helium piped to the house just for cooling our 500ghz IBM proc's, liquid nitrogen is actually harder to obtain just because there just isnt the vast demand for it that liquid helium has. But then again we call things different things here :p

yes, i'm from canada, but honestly we aren't that different, i swear!

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Never tried asking in the pharmacy.
Getting it is probably easier than mercury though because of mercury's toxicity. Then again nitrogen is not so unharmful because of its temperature..
Anyways if you have a university around nitrogen isnt that unusual to stumble upon. They use it on some laborations with students and store it in big tanks outside. Unprotected.