Can someone make a basic guide for building my new comp?

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I know a fair amount about computers but this is the first time i'm actually building one. The stuff is in my sig. Could someone just give me a basic step by step so that i don't mess up and have to back track?

PS. How do you like my build? :p

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I have another question. My case has the spacers to install the mobo with, and also ha some little washer pads. How exactly do i put the mobo in with those?

Stupid question but meh....

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Damn, i just realized i put the HSF on the wrong direction, so i just unhooked it and turned it around, thats ok right?

And i really need an answer about the spacers, i don't want to fry my mobo. :cry:

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
do you have it all?all the components that is.

you had to ask on a day i chose to sort through 60gb of stufio data :p

LOL, ya i have everything, except the monitor, but thats ok, since i can just use this monitor.

I also want to add to my spacer question. The case has 6 "dimples" and the mobo has to have 9 screws. Now do the dimples need spacers? or do just the other 3 holes need them? Also, which side of the mobo should i put the washers? the top i assume. 8)

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Should be okay to put the brass stand offs on the mb plate. Line up the holes and screw them down.

Here is also a guide that can help you out some:

Mounting Hardware

Mounting Hardware

If you are buying a new case, it should come with mounting hardware. These pieces normally come with the case, not the motherboard. Make sure you have the appropriate mounting hardware or your system assembly will stall in pretty short order! The exact hardware included varies greatly and depends on what the manufacturer decided to include in the case, but you will generally find some combination of the following (since most cases will use a combination of mounting holes):

* Plastic Standoffs: Also called "spacers", "sliders", and of course the highly technical "thingamajiggies", these are generally made of white plastic and are used for mounting the motherboard to system cases that have large eyelet holes. They have a collapsible point on one end and a round disk on the other. They were originally created to make motherboard installation "easier" since they do not require screws, but in my opinion they are just a pain to deal with because they make lining up the motherboard more difficult during installation.
* Metal Standoffs: Again also called "spacers" and a few other names (some of them unprintable), these are 3/16" hexagonal nuts with a threaded screw on the end. They are usually made of brass, sometimes steel, and they are used for mounting to threaded holes in the system case.
* Screws: These are used to screw the motherboard to the brass standoffs mentioned above.
* Washers: Generally made of plastic or paper, these go under the screws to keep the screw head away from the circuitry on the top surface of the motherboard. These are now sometimes being omitted in new system cases because they are less necessary now than they once were (since motherboards today now tend to keep the circuitry farther away from the screw holes than they once did).

Thought that was good description.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I have another question. My case has the spacers to install the mobo with, and also ha some little washer pads. How exactly do i put the mobo in with those?

Stupid question but meh....
Are you talking about the litlle red or white washers, or the plastic mobo standoffs? The washers are not for the mobo. Every screwhole on the mobo is uninsulated conductor to ground the mobo to the case.

GigabyteRules

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
yer i know that, but he got a LOT!! of expensive gear for someone who dosnt know, i was just thinking of that, would u contruct a $10000 Shed alone if u didnt know wot u was doin, i think not

G

Use the paper red washers or plastice ones if you have them. They also help reduce vibration in the mobo to the case from fans etc... and vice versa.

Also you might want to lay your mobo then install the drives, then CPU, HSF then RAM then your PCI, AGP cards, then lift the mobo slightly to run cables under it for better cable management. Then secure the mobo down and plug in the cables .

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Ok peeps, i got the mobo in without much issue, except for a faulty screw :wink:

Anyway, i seem to be having more trouble installing the I/O panel than the mobo :p , I can't seem to get those bendy peices in right, what should i do?

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Ok peeps, i got the mobo in without much issue, except for a faulty screw :wink:

Anyway, i seem to be having more trouble installing the I/O panel than the mobo :p , I can't seem to get those bendy peices in right, what should i do?

I still need help with this, however trivial it may seem...

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
How many threads did you put this on?
Could someone PLEASE come help me in this thread?

Like right now.
For the front panel's pins, a tweezer worked well for my friend (he has huge hands). Mine are small enough to not have a problem with it. If you ever strouggle, just RTFM. That's the only advice I ever got before building my first couple of rigs.

gondo

Distinguished
Here's my guide. I've been building for 20 years now and have many tips.

1) Take the case, remove the screws for mounting, take the side off, remove all the metal covers where the cd-roms go and covering all the pci slots. they say to keep them in for structure and better cooling but I recommend removing them so they arn't in the way down the road.

2) Take the board and install a threaded mount for each hole on your board. Don't put one if your board doesn't have a hole. Make sure each mount is the same height...don't mix different heights as you usually get 2 different heights. Also put the back plate into the case that came with your motherboard.

3) Take your board out of the static bag, put the static bag on top of the motherboard box, and put your board on the bag. Install the components this way, but never test the board this way since it will short out against the static bag. Test the board on the box alone no bag.

4) Put some compound on the CPU die using a razor blade to get a thin layer and install the CPU in the socket. Install your heatsink and remove the pink pad if it has one. Remove the heatsink and look for a square of compound meaning you installed the heatsink properly. Reinstall it. Set your jumpers if you have any, and seat your ram.

Don't install the cpu or ram while the board is inthe case cause the pressure of pressing into the board while mounted is bad. you want the box as a support.

5) Grab the board by the heatsink and put it in the case at an angle so the connections slide into the back plate and lower the board onto the mounts making sure they line up, you didn't miss any, and didn't put one where it doesn't belong. Make sure you don't scrape the bottom of the board when dropping and sliding it in.

6) Screw the board in. Its a good idea to try each screw into a spare mount to make sure it works and is the right size. It sux to put a wrong size screw into a mount only to have to remove your board and pull on it just to get a screw out. Don't use the red paper washers unless yoru screws have such a large head on them they overlap the copper pad on the board and will short something out. Use screws with a small head to secure the board.

7) Now you can install the PSU and drives. Don't put them in first as someone recommended since this can make installing the board more difficult with the drives in your way.

8) Install the PCI cards. Conenct all your cables and do your cable management.

9) Plug in and boot up and hope for the best.

That's about it. takes about 30min-1hr to complete. If you have any specific questions don't be afraid to ask.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

Crap I knew I forgot something last night. You need to install the panel before you install your motherboard. :x

Where, directly on the mobo? or on the case? because the case doesn't have anywhere for it to mount. Anyway, for now i just pushed it against it and its stuck there. 8)

OK, I just hooked up the power and fan connectors and that, plus i added the RAM. Then i turned on the power. All the little LEDs lit up, but the HSF didn't spin, is that ok? Is it ok i turned it on... everything seems fine? :?

_Morphine_

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
Then i turned on the power. All the little LEDs lit up, but the HSF didn't spin, is that ok?
Thats bad! really bad! Turn it off as fast as possible! If your fan isnt spinning the CPU is not being cooled it could burn itself up and maybe the motherboard. Make sure the HSF is plugged into the MB.

Something you mentioned at the start about reversing the direction of the HSF. What I said above isnt related but... Im kind of a stickler about thermal grease. The metal surfaces you are joining are mostly flat and porous. the grease fills gaps and tiny holes to transfer heat across the entire surface. Once its installed that thin layer is spread out to fill that orientations gaps. I recommend reapplying thermal grease for the change in orientation. Some might find that anal but its still my recommendation.

gondo

Distinguished
The motherboard back plate pops in from inside the case towards the outside. You have to get one corner in the sort of work your way around and bang it in. Its tough. The back plate is often the most difficult thing to do.

The heatsink fna should be plugged into the CPU fan header on the motherboard. You should have a couple of auxilary fan headers for plugging in case fans. These are used to power your fans and also to get RPM gauges in windows. If you just power case fans off the power supply then it will work but you won't get the RPM gauges in windows. The heatsinks fan must go to the CPU fan header on the board. If it is not plugged in you may get a loud siren like on the Abit boards telling you your CPU fan isn't spinning.

First thing you do also is go in BIOS and check the RPM of your CPU fan and also the temp. Make ssure the heatsink isn't 180' backwards which will cause overheat.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Oh boy....

1 First things first.. make sure you're doing this on a table away from Carpet. No point in building a computer if you're just going to short the whole thing by standing on Carpet.

2 Now... Grab the case first and start by pushing out the rear motherboard plate. Yes... you should be able to push out that generic motherboard plate that came with the case as the motherboard comes with one that is specifically designed for your particular motherboard.

3 Not that you've removed the generic plate.. from the inside of the case push in (snap in) the plate that came with the motherboard.

4 Once the plate is installed you can start by installing the motherboard mounts. They are gold colored (some are a white plastic) that mount on the inside/back of the case panel to hold teh motherboard in place. One this is done you're ready to install the motherboard.

5 Most cases will come with redish paper washers, if your particular case doesn't have any don't worry about it. Place the motherboard inside the case lining it up with the previously installed motherboard mounts (step 4). With the motherboard in place you can either screw in the motherboard or first, if you have them, install the redish paper washers then screwn the motherboard in place.

Voila the motherboard is installed.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Well people, I kinda got bored and started to put it together, all of it, and I was impressed because I got it to post the first try :D 8)

Now I am trying to find the BIOS, so i can put them on a floppy and install them and boot the thing.

Its annoying, because my monitor order got cancelled by stupid tigerdirect because they sold me something they didn't actually have, so i keep having to take this monitor and switch it to the new comp, and then back here when i need the internet or something, plus i had to take this floppy out and put it in the new comp. :evil:

As for cable mangement... well... the cables are in a mass near the middle, to the right of the mobo, basically on top of the HD. I bunched them there best i could, since i couldn't really do any mangement and they are going to different areas. I think the important part is they arn't blocking anything, except the tip of the very long 8800GTS, which took some manuevering to get in. At first i put it in the bottom PCIe slot since it was out of the way, but then the wires were in the way, so i had to move it up. And getting it out was a bitch. :wink:

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Now I am trying to find the BIOS, so i can put them on a floppy and install them and boot the thing.
Really not clear on what you mean by that. The BIOS is a basic part of the motherboard and should already be there. In other words, the computer should already be booting. Are you saying it isn't? Or are you saying you are going to attempt to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version available from the Asus?

-john

I know a fair amount about computers but this is the first time i'm actually building one. The stuff is in my sig. Could someone just give me a basic step by step so that i don't mess up and have to back track?

PS. How do you like my build? :p

Correct me if im wrong but isn't that CPU a) very expensive and b) a poor overclocker and low performance for the price?

I would have gone with a core 2 duo or atleast a higher end AMD cpu, both would offer better value for your money.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Really not clear on what you mean by that. The BIOS is a basic part of the motherboard and should already be there. In other words, the computer should already be booting. Are you saying it isn't? Or are you saying you are going to attempt to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version available from the Asus?

-john

I really don't know either. I can load the BIOS by pushing delete when its loading, then it shows the loading priority device or something. If i just let it go, without pushing delete, and pauses and then says disk boot failure, but i assume thats because there is nothing to load.

I dunno, wtf do i do? It'll be easier when i get a second monitor... :x

PS. Apache, i got it for $160 CAD like 2 months ago, and waited to buy the rest of the system. I thought that was a pretty good deal. Also, its overclocks the SAME as a normal x2 3800, xbit is just stupid and thought it would have extra headroom since it was undervolted...