Cannot logon to Windows 2000 after clean the virus

CK

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

Hi,
I couldn't log on to Windows 2000 after I clean the viruses in safe mode.

The machine running Win2000 Pro with SP4. I use AVG antivirus software free
edition to scan and found backdoor, mytob, spybot viruses in Windows safe
mode. Most infected files were deleted. I did use Ad-adware SE Pro to check
the spyware as well.

After everything finish I restarted the machine back to normal bootup. But
once Windows showing "Preparing for network connection" and another message
box (I couldn't recall it) during startup, the machine automatically
rebooted itself and running disk scanning. I tried to boot it into safe
mode, it was working fine. I'd tried to run sfc command in safe mode but it
failed.

Was that some of the windows system files actually infected by virus and
they were cleaned or deleted cause the problem?

Anyone please help me... Thanks a lot.

dl

What err does the sfc give?
You did start it from the 'Start\Run' box?
ie sfc /scannow
Allthough it will only run if logged on as admin or with admin group

"ck" <lauck79@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I couldn't log on to Windows 2000 after I clean the viruses in safe mode.
>
> The machine running Win2000 Pro with SP4. I use AVG antivirus software
free
> edition to scan and found backdoor, mytob, spybot viruses in Windows safe
> mode. Most infected files were deleted. I did use Ad-adware SE Pro to
check
> the spyware as well.
>
> After everything finish I restarted the machine back to normal bootup. But
> once Windows showing "Preparing for network connection" and another
message
> box (I couldn't recall it) during startup, the machine automatically
> rebooted itself and running disk scanning. I tried to boot it into safe
> mode, it was working fine. I'd tried to run sfc command in safe mode but
it
> failed.
>
> Was that some of the windows system files actually infected by virus and
> they were cleaned or deleted cause the problem?
>
> Anyone please help me... Thanks a lot.

CK

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

Hi DL,
I run the command sfc/scannow command in both cmd and command thru start\run
in Windows safe mode.
It prompted me "Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of
protected system files. The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC
server is unvailable.]"

I not able log on to Windows thru norma bootup. It will auto reboot itself
before the windows logon screen appear.
This occurred after I clean the viruses in Windows safe mode and rebooted
back.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;268106

"ck" <samk@pconlin.net> wrote in message
> Hi DL,
> I run the command sfc/scannow command in both cmd and command thru
start\run
> in Windows safe mode.
> It prompted me "Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of
> protected system files. The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC
> server is unvailable.]"
>
> I not able log on to Windows thru norma bootup. It will auto reboot itself
> before the windows logon screen appear.
> This occurred after I clean the viruses in Windows safe mode and rebooted
> back.
>

> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> > What err does the sfc give?
> > You did start it from the 'Start\Run' box?
> > ie sfc /scannow
> > Allthough it will only run if logged on as admin or with admin group
> >
> > "ck" <lauck79@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >> I couldn't log on to Windows 2000 after I clean the viruses in safe
mode.

> >> The machine running Win2000 Pro with SP4. I use AVG antivirus software
> > free
> >> edition to scan and found backdoor, mytob, spybot viruses in Windows
safe
> >> mode. Most infected files were deleted. I did use Ad-adware SE Pro to
> > check
> >> the spyware as well.
> >>
> >> After everything finish I restarted the machine back to normal bootup.
> >> But
> >> once Windows showing "Preparing for network connection" and another
> > message
> >> box (I couldn't recall it) during startup, the machine automatically
> >> rebooted itself and running disk scanning. I tried to boot it into safe
> >> mode, it was working fine. I'd tried to run sfc command in safe mode
but
> > it
> >> failed.
> >>
> >> Was that some of the windows system files actually infected by virus
and
> >> they were cleaned or deleted cause the problem?
> >>
> >> Anyone please help me... Thanks a lot.

It sounds as if either the virus or the cleanup caused some
serious damage to your machine. You may have to rebuild
it. I recommend that you then install a good commercial
virus scanner - they are worth the money the cost.