PC built for my recording studio

System6

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Building a new AM2 machine. I found a sweet motherboard with all of the features I want and awesome reviews.The deal is that it has no on board firewire. At all.

If i use a firewire interface........

I know I can just add a pci to firewire card, but will this give me noticeable latency problems compared to onboard firewire at high track counts? Gamers? Video editors? Musicians?

Stitches

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
What will you be running through firewire? Almost everything these days runs on USB instead....
As for the latency, you should be OK as long as your not using tons of pci cards. DO NOT use a PCI video card! (This would make definite problems)
The PCI bus can support 133Mb/s, but this is shared throughout the entire bus, including all PCI cards, onboard audio, USB ports, etc. Having a PCI video card can steal all of the bandwidth.

I agree with mcgruff. If I were making a recording studio computer, I would DEFINITELY buy a Creative X-fi. Not gonna lie, they sound pretty amazing.

Best of Luck

System6

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
PCI is kinda old school in the audio field and FIREWIRE is holding it down right now. The firewire card I want is awesome.

PCI? Not impossible

Firewire? More likely

Stitches

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I would have thought a PCI card was the best choice for lowest possible latency. What's the advantage of a firewire interface?

PS: I wouldn't recommend an X-fi but I like M-Audio.