How's Radio Shack HDTV/UHF/VHF Amplified Antenna?

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 23, 2004 4:53:46 AM

How's Radio Shack HDTV/UHF/VHF Amplified Antenna (product code:
15-1880) at
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...
? I'm in New York City. Would I be able to get HDTV with this thing?
Other than the antenna, do I still need a HDTV set or a HDTV set-top
tuner to be able to get HDTV? Would it work with M.I.T. MyHD MDP-120
so I can watch TV (doesn't have to be HDTV) on my PC monitor?
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 2:57:41 PM

You should do a bit of research, there is loads of info at
http://www.avsforum.com/

"comon" <comon@lab.com> wrote in message
> How's Radio Shack HDTV/UHF/VHF Amplified Antenna (product code:
> 15-1880) at

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...
> ? I'm in New York City. Would I be able to get HDTV with this thing?
> Other than the antenna, do I still need a HDTV set or a HDTV set-top
> tuner to be able to get HDTV? Would it work with M.I.T. MyHD MDP-120
> so I can watch TV (doesn't have to be HDTV) on my PC monitor?
April 23, 2004 3:09:19 PM

When are you people going to learn? There is no such thing
as a HDTV antenna! The type of signal has nothing to do
with the antenna. In most cases, a UHF antenna is what you
need. Repeat after me: There is no such thing as a HDTV antenna!
Only shyster salesmen and stupid consumers think there is a HDTV
antenna. Repeat: There is no such thing as a HDTV antenna!
Has it sunk in yet?
Joe

"comon" <comon@lab.com> wrote in message
> How's Radio Shack HDTV/UHF/VHF Amplified Antenna (product code:
> 15-1880) at

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...
> ? I'm in New York City. Would I be able to get HDTV with this thing?
> Other than the antenna, do I still need a HDTV set or a HDTV set-top
> tuner to be able to get HDTV? Would it work with M.I.T. MyHD MDP-120
> so I can watch TV (doesn't have to be HDTV) on my PC monitor?
Anonymous
April 25, 2004 2:24:32 AM

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 00:53:46 GMT, comon <comon@lab.com> wrote:

For HDTV reception, not that good. Amplified is bad to begin
with. The noise gets amplified along with the signal. The only
use for an amplifier is to compensate for long cable runs and/or
splitters. Just get a good directional UHF antenna and keep the
cables as short as possible. Radio Shack does have a decent
directional UHF antenna. I needed a better antenna to get the
channels I wanted. Went to this place: http://www.antennasdirect.com/
Worked out very nicely for me as they are located in St. Louis
with me. The guy, Richard, is super nice. Got the DB4, which
is his design. I liked it because it is much smaller than the
Yagi designs of similar gain. Works very well. You might have
some issues in New York with multipath, which apparently is a
bad thing for HDTV. The more directional your antenna, the
better. A Yagi antenna might be best for you, as they are the
most directional. Thus avoiding multipath, hopefully.

!