AMD overclock blew my hard drive?

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
SUP, I'm a n00b to over clocking AMD's. my bro just got one and i did what i usually do wit my lintel. i went into the chipset option in the bios and increased the "hyper transport" frequency to 1600mhz, from 800. the comp shut down and i has to restart the bios. now when the comp loads it freezes in start up and when i go to reinstall XP it freezes too. total n00b to AMDs.

specs: Asus K8N-VM
AMD 64 3200 S745
1g of ddr ram at 400Mhz
500 watt Antech
Maxtor 250Gb IDE hard drive

P.S. i'm like 98% sure its not the mobo cuz it starts up fine and runs the BIOS like a pro.

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I doubt it's your hard drive, more likely you've commited hate crimes against your CPU by beating the crap out of it with that outrageous change you made, can you get another S754 A64 to swap around and try?

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
not to say the overclock messed up your hdd (unlikely from what ive seen)... but, anytime you dont lock the pci bus (and end up overclocking it in sync with the cpu/fsb), you are essentially overclocking other components attached to the pci bus, hdd included... and that can cause corruption of data, etc... possibly damaged hardware as well, but data corruption is the most likely thing to happen (if anything were to go wrong with an overclock, aside from instability and overheating and all that)

sailer

Splendid
SUP, I'm a n00b to over clocking AMD's. my bro just got one and i did what i usually do wit my lintel. i went into the chipset option in the bios and increased the "hyper transport" frequency to 1600mhz, from 800. the comp shut down and i has to restart the bios. now when the comp loads it freezes in start up and when i go to reinstall XP it freezes too. total n00b to AMDs.

specs: Asus K8N-VM
AMD 64 3200 S745
1g of ddr ram at 400Mhz
500 watt Antech
Maxtor 250Gb IDE hard drive

P.S. i'm like 98% sure its not the mobo cuz it starts up fine and runs the BIOS like a pro.

Where to begin? Doubt there's anything wrong with the hard drive. Not sure if there's anything left of the cpu and mobo, or ever the ram for that matter.

If you're lucky, very lucky, this might help. Take out the CMOS battery and move its jumper to the clear setting, count ten, then put the jumper back to the normal setting. Put the battery back in, then try to start. If you're very lucky, the BIOS settings will go back to factory defaults and you will be able to start the computer. If not, you've got some parts to replace.

P.S. Just because the mobo runs the BIOS doesn't mean that there's nothing wrong with the mobo.

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
wow...ok. i will try the HD on a nother comp and same wit the ram. if all goes fine i'm F@#!, cuz that would mean its the mobo and cpu...dam. ok.

thanks for the input guys l8er :)

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Just repeating what some others have said... it's highly unlikely an overclock killed your hard drive. The ONLY scenario where an overclock could kill an HD would PERHAPS be due to excessive heat build-up in your case resulting from the overclock... and even that's a stretch.

From my personal experience I did have stability/boot issues during the process of overclocking my X2-4400... and subsequent reading online did point to the SATA controller not being able to keep up with something I was trying to convince my system to do. Just some food for thought...

Baby steps man... baby steps.

dagoth_ur

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
I damaged many hard drives while overclockong some old computers without PCI bus lock, for example-I tried FSB 180 at my tualatin P3 1,13 GHz. however I saw the POST screen, the disk drive became damaged while making some very disturbing noise. The same with some cyrix and Pentium MMXs...while overclocking the advice is to lock the PCI bus freq to 33 mhz every time. Sorry for my bad english :)

void

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
I am not saying some intel fanboy makes up story against AMD. But I doubt what you usual do with you intel is double FSB at the first step trying to overclock

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
who knows who knows. potentially, if the pci bus was pushed beyond its limits, hard drive heads could be induced to do naughty things (move in an erratic sequence/pattern) Hence the possible damage. At least that's what excessive heat does to electronics in hdds - chip starts sending out chaotic commands.

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
yup, i blew it..not my hard drive but the mobo. i just tried a different hard drive and constant crashing during startup and freezing during the installation of windows. yup...well,to day is payday so i guess I'll be out getting my bro a new mobo and cpu. thanks for the in put guys

l8er :)

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
SUP, I'm a n00b to over clocking AMD's. i went into the chipset option in the bios and increased the "hyper transport" frequency to 1600mhz, from 800.

ROFL ! :lol:

Lol that is harsh to laugh at as the guy is in a bit of a pickle!! to say the least but LoooooooooooooooooooL (sorry had to)

I hope you get ya stuff fixed btw BigCharb not trying to be mean, that increase is funny though u have to admit :p

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Instead of taking the battery out, you can just use the bios reset jumper which is next to the battery. It will do the same thing, just easier.

wes

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Lol that is harsh to laugh at as the guy is in a bit of a pickle!!
I am sorry i apologize but that overclock was so extreme that it reminded me to that guy the other day who used the hammer to fit a CPU into the wrong socket in his mobo.

I'm trying to figure out why you would change the hypertransport frequency instead of the cpu frequency, multiplier if possible, and RAM timings if you were trying to overclock. Especially if that what's you do with your Intel systems.

Sorry to say, you most likely either, 1) fried the mobo, 2) cooked the proc, or 3) frazzled both mobo and proc.

Might as well start shopping for a new mobo, RAM, and processor.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
correct me if I am wrong, but changing the Hyper Transport frequency doesn't overclock anything, other the the hyper transport bus. The system will be running at the same speed, but the Hyper Transport bus will be running faster. I just haven't seen any systems where the hyper transport bus is a solid number like that. I have only seen a hypertranport multiplier, which is a product of the FSB (X) times the Hyper Transport Multiplier (Y).

You should increase the FSB in that system in order to overclock it, and you should try to keep the hyper transport bus as CLOSE to stock as possible, and if you are at a fsb multi that keeps you from being directly on the stock hyper transport bus frequency, I would go below it.

wes

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Not only can it not handle the added frequency, the boost offers no performance increase. I have actually run it a couple hundred mhz slower before, it no difference in benchmarks.

What was confusing me is, I have never seen an option in bios that just lets you set the frequency, it has been just a multi on all my previous boards. His is just a little different, I guess maybe because it was the first AMD 64 socket.

wes

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Yeah,

It's been a few months since I have messed around with OC'ing on an AMD system, but, he never said he increased the FSB, he said he manually increased the Hyper Transport bus. So, he didn't overclock the actual operating frequency of the cpu at all. In order to have done that, he would have had to increase the FSB speed, and then decrease the Hyper Transport multi. In his case, it seems he can just set the Hyper Transport bus to a frequency since he doesn't have a multi for it.

We are saying the same thing I think, I just wanted to clarify that he didn't OC the system at all with what he did, he just did solo increase on the hyper transport bus.

I should have kept my 165 that would break 3.1ghz, but, I sold the system to a friend before I went on my "trip" over seas. Now, I just use my core duo based notebook with my X1600 mobile in it. It's good for a notebook, but, no where near the 2.9ghz(every day use clock speed) Opty 165 I had. :cry:

wes

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
I understand what you are saying, and I have never seen one which had just a frequency rather than a multiplier, but, in the OP's original post, he said he change the frequency, not the multiplier. It sounds like the bios on his board sets the frequency rather than giving you a multi. I am looking around for this, cause I think what is said is how his bios actually works. I know that isn't how all the rest of the boards work, but, maybe the bios on that board is a little different.

wes

sailer

Splendid
Instead of taking the battery out, you can just use the bios reset jumper which is next to the battery. It will do the same thing, just easier.

wes

The instructions in my ASUS booklet says to take out the battery, so that's what I relayed. If the battery doesn't have to be taken out, then I guess I've just leaned something.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
No problems, they will accomplish the same thing, in my opinion though, it is easier to just use the bios reset jumper which should be located pretty close to the battery.

The jumper has three pins, just for reference, the pins are A B and C. The jumper is on pins A and B. Just unplug the ac cord from the PSU(according to what I have read). Move the jumper over to pins B and C and let it sit there for a few seconds. Then move it back, plug it back in(the power cord).... and go from there. Either way should work, it's just a little bit more difficult messing around with the battery IMO.

wes

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
yeah, guys I'm an intel overclocker, not AMD. once i got into the bios it was soo complicated. i went to chipset and thought i was overclocking the FSB, i thought AMD calls their FSB hyper transport. plus the option for 1600 was in there and the mobo is RoHs compliant so i thought it couldent hurt...i was dam wrong. i just came back from comp stores and i found a nice combo that totaled under 200bucks. An AMD Athlon 64 3200BP 939 Pin and a ASUS A8N-SLI SE. I'm going back tomorrow to order cuz they were just a bout to close. when i get these babies i wount even touch the hyper trasport thingy...or even try to overclock it cuz..it's my bros. lol

oh p.s. i cleared the BIOS wit the jumpers and flashed it witha floppy wit the newest bios with no luck, i think i blew the ht circiutry as in "I_Love_Tacos" reply.

l8er :)

TRENDING THREADS