Aerialix wireless Antenna vs Fab-corp's Antenna

fstuff

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2003
from 10/03 article (http://www.tomshardware.com/network/20031022/index.html), the Aerialix Antenna has 2.15dB gain for $25.

fab-corp.com has this 5.5dB gain (before cable loss) Antenna for $16. WHICH IS BETTER?!

Pacific Wireless 5.5 dB Magnetic MC for ORiNOCO

This is a perfect answer for getting signal outside of your vehicle!

The 5.5dB model is black in color with an integral Magnetic Base. It is compact and lightweight. It comes with 5 feet of RG174 cable with MC connector. Currently Pacific Wireless stocks the MiniMag mobile antenna with MC Card Connector for Proxim ORiNOCO radios.

* Gain 5.5 dB before cable loss.
* 6 Inches Tall

Regular Price: $ 18.00
Your Price: $ 16.00

voidref

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2003
It looks like it depends on your applicaiton, I would not use the car one for sticking on the laptop that you drag around everywhere, and I would not use the little one for driving around in the car.

G

More gain is better if you are having signal strength issues. The thing you don't address in your post, which may be just as important, is how you plan to use the antenna. For example: many high gain antennas you'll find will be highly directional. Directional antennas are great for fixed computers that won't be moving around, but a more general purpose broad patterned lower gain antenna may be the necessary trade off for wandering computers.

Given the same recieve/transmit pattern go for the higher gain model.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
why do pplz need an antenna? i am using DLink card everywhere without any issues, and it ranges around 300 yards easy.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

I connect three different homes wirelessly.

One connection uses coffee can antenna at both ends.( made back when 9dbi antenna cost $150)this connection is a little over 500ft with a few trees in between.

The socond connectionalmost 800ft. is using a 19dbi gain antenna on one end and another coffee can antenna on the other. In the summer the house can not be seen at all. Too many trees, and when it rains connection on regular antennas would be lost.

I aint signing nothing!!!

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey, 500ft is only 170 yrds, i am talking 300 yards here, trucks/trailers in between, kapish? well, yeah, they have antenna on the roof tho, but i am in the truck, so still.. ;)

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Yes if you have line of sight( no trees, walls ,buildings, etc.)signal strength is good. I could connect to both homes @1mb but losr it in summer when it rains. The antenna now connects @11mb and almost no dropped packets.

I aint signing nothing!!!