Setting up user Accounts like in Windows 98

New to XP Home & Admin functions. Built another new CPU. Familure (sp) w 98.
In 98, we had 2 users, what I did on my screen did not effect my wifes
settings.

Initialy loaded XP under my setting only. Installed drivers & such. Created
user account for my wife, also amin. All system setup controls were copied to
her account also. No problem, I deleted lots from her account. Returned to my
account & discovered that all the items that I wanted had been deleted from
my screen also.

Reformatted 2 Drives & reloaded everything again. Created her account as a
limited user & tried to load my DSL. (long story why). No go. Changed her
account to admin & loaded DSL.

In XP Home, how can I set up 2 accounts so that each has similar admin.
priveleges but not effect the other users screen? Thanks for your help.
6 answers Last reply
More about setting user accounts windows

    Hi,

    Keep the items in your local profile. What you are experiencing is happening
    because they are in the allusers folders. Look under C:\Document and
    Settings, here you will find each user's personal folders, and shared items
    in the AllUsers folder.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "BiFocals48" <BiFocals48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > New to XP Home & Admin functions. Built another new CPU. Familure (sp) w
    > 98.
    > In 98, we had 2 users, what I did on my screen did not effect my wifes
    > settings.
    >
    > Initialy loaded XP under my setting only. Installed drivers & such.
    > Created
    > user account for my wife, also amin. All system setup controls were copied
    > her account also. No problem, I deleted lots from her account. Returned to
    > my
    > account & discovered that all the items that I wanted had been deleted
    > from
    > my screen also.
    >
    > Reformatted 2 Drives & reloaded everything again. Created her account as a
    > limited user & tried to load my DSL. (long story why). No go. Changed her
    > account to admin & loaded DSL.
    >
    > In XP Home, how can I set up 2 accounts so that each has similar admin.
    > priveleges but not effect the other users screen? Thanks for your help.

    I guess I left another step out. When I go to C:\Document and Settings I am
    used to the "all programs" to be shown also. I guess this is where my problem
    really lies. I like to use a lot of different programs, CD burning, Music,
    system settings, different search engines, FORMATTING...

    Anyway, these don't show in my start menu like the old 98, but do show under
    my all programs screen. Those "unshared" items are what I need to clear out
    from her account.

    Opp's, I found them listed in the "All Users" Start Menu. Sorry, guess I got
    into old habits again. Now, can I just drag & drop those items into my
    folder? This should delete them from her all programs & still make them
    accesible from explorer?

    Thanks

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Keep the items in your local profile. What you are experiencing is happening
    > because they are in the allusers folders. Look under C:\Document and
    > Settings, here you will find each user's personal folders, and shared items
    > in the AllUsers folder.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "BiFocals48" <BiFocals48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > New to XP Home & Admin functions. Built another new CPU. Familure (sp) w
    > > 98.
    > > In 98, we had 2 users, what I did on my screen did not effect my wifes
    > > settings.
    > >
    > > Initialy loaded XP under my setting only. Installed drivers & such.
    > > Created
    > > user account for my wife, also amin. All system setup controls were copied
    > > her account also. No problem, I deleted lots from her account. Returned to
    > > my
    > > account & discovered that all the items that I wanted had been deleted
    > > from
    > > my screen also.
    > >
    > > Reformatted 2 Drives & reloaded everything again. Created her account as a
    > > limited user & tried to load my DSL. (long story why). No go. Changed her
    > > account to admin & loaded DSL.
    > >
    > > In XP Home, how can I set up 2 accounts so that each has similar admin.
    > > priveleges but not effect the other users screen? Thanks for your help.

    Also left out the question of screen settings. Thru some admin function or an
    easier way? Diff resolutions, diff people. I have had "my computer room" in a
    huge mess for a couple of months now & starting to catch a lot of heat to get
    things finished. ( half) of that "mess" is another machine in progress.

    Yes, I went to a local bookstore & they didn't have a thing on XP Home or
    Pro. Will try again tomorrow.

    Thanks.

    "BiFocals48" wrote:

    > I guess I left another step out. When I go to C:\Document and Settings I am
    > used to the "all programs" to be shown also. I guess this is where my problem
    > really lies. I like to use a lot of different programs, CD burning, Music,
    > system settings, different search engines, FORMATTING...
    >
    > Anyway, these don't show in my start menu like the old 98, but do show under
    > my all programs screen. Those "unshared" items are what I need to clear out
    > from her account.
    >
    > Opp's, I found them listed in the "All Users" Start Menu. Sorry, guess I got
    > into old habits again. Now, can I just drag & drop those items into my
    > folder? This should delete them from her all programs & still make them
    > accesible from explorer?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Keep the items in your local profile. What you are experiencing is happening
    > > because they are in the allusers folders. Look under C:\Document and
    > > Settings, here you will find each user's personal folders, and shared items
    > > in the AllUsers folder.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,

    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >
    > > "BiFocals48" <BiFocals48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > New to XP Home & Admin functions. Built another new CPU. Familure (sp) w
    > > > 98.
    > > > In 98, we had 2 users, what I did on my screen did not effect my wifes
    > > > settings.
    > > >
    > > > Initialy loaded XP under my setting only. Installed drivers & such.
    > > > Created
    > > > user account for my wife, also amin. All system setup controls were copied
    > > > her account also. No problem, I deleted lots from her account. Returned to
    > > > my
    > > > account & discovered that all the items that I wanted had been deleted
    > > > from
    > > > my screen also.
    > > >
    > > > Reformatted 2 Drives & reloaded everything again. Created her account as a
    > > > limited user & tried to load my DSL. (long story why). No go. Changed her
    > > > account to admin & loaded DSL.
    > > >
    > > > In XP Home, how can I set up 2 accounts so that each has similar admin.
    > > > priveleges but not effect the other users screen? Thanks for your help.

    Screen resolution is global. There are some utilities that can handle this
    though.

    Go to the following website, www.dougknox.com, click Win XP Utilities,
    scroll to QuickRes for Windows XP and click the link.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    > Also left out the question of screen settings. Thru some admin function or
    > an
    > easier way? Diff resolutions, diff people. I have had "my computer room"
    > in a
    > huge mess for a couple of months now & starting to catch a lot of heat to
    > get
    > things finished. ( half) of that "mess" is another machine in progress.
    >
    > Yes, I went to a local bookstore & they didn't have a thing on XP Home or
    > Pro. Will try again tomorrow.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > "BiFocals48" wrote:
    >
    >> I guess I left another step out. When I go to C:\Document and Settings I
    >> am
    >> used to the "all programs" to be shown also. I guess this is where my
    >> problem
    >> really lies. I like to use a lot of different programs, CD burning,
    >> Music,
    >> system settings, different search engines, FORMATTING...
    >>
    >> Anyway, these don't show in my start menu like the old 98, but do show
    >> under
    >> my all programs screen. Those "unshared" items are what I need to clear
    >> out
    >> from her account.
    >>
    >> Opp's, I found them listed in the "All Users" Start Menu. Sorry, guess I
    >> got
    >> into old habits again. Now, can I just drag & drop those items into my
    >> folder? This should delete them from her all programs & still make them
    >> accesible from explorer?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > Keep the items in your local profile. What you are experiencing is
    >> > happening
    >> > because they are in the allusers folders. Look under C:\Document and
    >> > Settings, here you will find each user's personal folders, and shared
    >> > items
    >> > in the AllUsers folder.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Best of Luck,
    >> >
    >> > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >> > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >> >
    >> > "BiFocals48" <BiFocals48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Thank You. Sorry for the delay, been offline for a couple of days. The info
    will be of great use. Thanks!

    You're welcome, good luck.

    --

    > Thank You. Sorry for the delay, been offline for a couple of days. The
    > info
    > will be of great use. Thanks!
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Screen resolution is global. There are some utilities that can handle
    >> this
    >> though.
    >>
    >> Go to the following website, www.dougknox.com, click Win XP Utilities,
    >> scroll to QuickRes for Windows XP and click the link.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "BiFocals48" <BiFocals48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Also left out the question of screen settings. Thru some admin function
    >> > or
    >> > an
    >> > easier way? Diff resolutions, diff people. I have had "my computer
    >> > room"
    >> > in a
    >> > huge mess for a couple of months now & starting to catch a lot of heat
    >> > get
    >> > things finished. ( half) of that "mess" is another machine in progress.
    >> >
    >> > Yes, I went to a local bookstore & they didn't have a thing on XP Home
    >> > or
    >> > Pro. Will try again tomorrow.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.

Windows 98 User Accounts Windows XP