Pentium Ds VS Core 2 Duo's......the difference?

Cs

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Quick question. I noticed Pentium D processors also claim to be "dual core." Many Pentium D processors also have higher clock speeds when compared with Core 2 Duo processors. So why are Core 2 Duo's that much better than a Pentium D? (forgive my naivety :p)

Thanks

Basically because of the core architecture. The Core 2 Duo is designed to process data differently than before. The most notable and easiest to understand change is the ability to process 4 instructions per clock cycle as opposed to 3 instruction in the Pentium 4. Right there is a potential 33% boost in performance.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
D is for dirt cheap 9 is for last in the series after 9 is zero
c is for certain, higher performance, 2 is for too easy to build

building a c2d is much faster and idiot proof

building a 900 series p4 requires better knowledge of cooling and overclocking. if u building a system just remember that after market cooler required for a p4 makes the price alot closer!

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Just as jaguarskx said it lies in how the processors work internally.
One might need less cycles then another to do the same work.
Bottomline is - the cpu frequency have ever since at least P4 stopped being a valid benchmarking index.
If you want to know how a processor performs you have to run a benchmarking program and see how fast it crunches the numbers in real life.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Just as jaguarskx said it lies in how the processors work internally.
One might need less cycles then another to do the same work.
Bottomline is - the cpu frequency have ever since at least P4 stopped being a valid benchmarking index.
If you want to know how a processor performs you have to run a benchmarking program and see how fast it crunches the numbers in real life.
Be careful with your wording on that. That is true when comparing different processor families. i.e A 3.6GHz P4 isn't any faster than a 1.8GHz Core2Duo....but, a 2.13GHz C2D is faster than a 1.86GHz C2D.(In this case...frequency does matter).