cant multi boot

Hi

i have 3 partitions on my sata 200 gig hd with WIN2K pro in the 1st
partition - when i installed XP pro in partition 2 i could only boot XP.
after trying win2000 erd and xp erd i reinstalled win2000. then i could only
boot win2000. after trying the above again and bootcfg i still cannot multi
boot. i tried different boot.ini's in both patrtitions and ended up
re-installing again just to be able to boot.

can someone tell me how to get multi boot to function?

TIA

rob

You should have had a multiboot with W2K/XP after your XP install. No erd to
correct this.

Are you using any kind of boot managers like BootMagic or System commander?
You didn't mess with the active bit in dealing with the partitions did you?

What you describe you did is straight forward and should work. Question is
what is different which resulted in you not having a multiboot.

It makes total sense that if you installed W2K after XP you would only boot
W2K. Next time backup the XP versions of ntldr and ntdetect and put them
back overwritting the w2k versions of those files. The w2k versions can't
mount XP.

hi Josh - thanks for the reply...

i'm not using System Commander or Boot Magic but am considering Boot
Magic as i am using Partition Magic and have it available. i don't know
if i messed with the active bit as i am not familiar with it so please
let me know how to check it.

rob