Military-grade cryptography tools?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I was looking over Via's page for the EPIA-EN15000 series of mobo/cpu, and this part caught my eye.

Based on the proven CoolStream™ architecture and the advanced 90nm SOI process, the VIA C7 processor delivers leading performance per watt, and utilizes the new 400MHz V4 bus. Fully compatible with Microsoft® Windows® and Linux operating systems, the VIA EPIA EN Mini-ITX mainboard also offers advanced hardware security features through the VIA PadLock Security Engine integrated into the VIA C7 processor, boasting a comprehensive set of military-grade cryptography tools.

What do they mean by that? How does a cpu have cryptography tools?

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
Of course 'military-grade' cryptography tends to be concerned with ensuring that the bad guys can't read your plans until after you attack them in the morning, not keeping messages secure for decades to come... so it may not mean much anyway :).

Wombat2

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
I was looking over Via's page for the EPIA-EN15000 series of mobo/cpu, and this part caught my eye.

Based on the proven CoolStream™ architecture and the advanced 90nm SOI process, the VIA C7 processor delivers leading performance per watt, and utilizes the new 400MHz V4 bus. Fully compatible with Microsoft® Windows® and Linux operating systems, the VIA EPIA EN Mini-ITX mainboard also offers advanced hardware security features through the VIA PadLock Security Engine integrated into the VIA C7 processor, boasting a comprehensive set of military-grade cryptography tools.

What do they mean by that? How does a cpu have cryptography tools?

Hardware crpto + Vistas AACS implementation = Your fair use legal rights gone forever.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

MS and the content producers want you to pay for and run a Trusted Platform ... so they can trust YOU with THEIR content :lol:

Enjoy paying for your own handcuffs :lol: