500 MHz FSB? Core 2 Duo Overtakes Core 2 Extreme

pschmid

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Many users have reported great success overclocking the Core 2 Duo entry-level model E6300. We drove the 1.86 GHz processor to 3.4 GHz, but despite that, this model still isn't our first choice for overclocking any more.

tomhole

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
IMHO, if you want a screamin' 3D system, spend the money on an e6300 and an 8800GTX. Overclock the e6300 and watch guys like me cry as you run ludicrous fps vs my screamin' cpu. My data indicate that the GPU has a gozillion times more influence on 3D scores than the CPU. But I get really high scores in CPU tests.

Tom

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Impressive results. I wish they would include the cost of building a system for this type of overclocking so I don't have to look it up myself....... :?

If you look at the results of the stock 6300 and the X6800 and then the 6300 overclocked it gives you a nice boost but even at stock the 6300 is rather impressive IMO when compared to the X6800. A budget cpu with a good high end GPU in my opinion is the way to go if you overclock or not.

:wink:

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
very interesting article i noticed the bit about the 6300 being the latest stepping F6 what is the best method of ensuring that you get one of this stepping (whats the manufacturers specific code) i think the article is dead on saying that now is a better time than ever to buy low grade.

however i didnt quite understand the last statement

Despite all of this, the E6000 series is no longer our overclocking favourite, because a new model line is ready to launch soon: the E4000 series will come at similar clock speeds, but run at only FSB800 speed. Obviously, this makes these new processors much better overclocking candidates, as a Core 2 Duo E4300 at 1.8 GHz can reach even higher core clock speeds with less FSB stress.

surely with the E4000 series with a lower FSB will not perform as well as the 6300's 1066 unless the multi is up'd in which case it would be a far better performing overclocker as ram will be able to run tighter timings and will not hit the MOBO's Limit of 500Mhz quite as early.

but surely this would be the same with a 6600 (F6 if there is one)(greater multi)
any one care to elaborate?

gpfear

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
It's all about price per watt. Overclock the 6300. Then put it side by side with a Core 2 Extreme and measure the power usage for a year using identical power supplys. Then tell me what the monetary difference was in your bill for electricity.

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
10 minutes on P95 does NOT ensure system stability!
Perhaps best left for another article, but post OC testing is critical and 10 minutes won’t do it.

jminiman

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2003
I have similiar memory to what this article describes, but it always comes up in CPU-Z as 5-5-5-18 (it's actually 4-4-4-12 v2.1). I have exactly the same motherboard they're using and an E6600 processor. Why doesn't the motherboard properly detect these settings? Must I first increase the voltage to the memory? Or no matter what, am I forced to manually set the timings in advanced BIOS settings?

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I still don't see how their processor can idle at such a low voltage! My E6600 with C1E and Speedstep only goes to 1.14 V! Back in July 2006, TH had an Core 2 Duo ES that idled at 0.95V. WTH?! Does anyone else have their CPU voltage lower than 1.14V??? Or how about less than 1.00V???

Oh yea, my computer boots at 400 * 9 =3.6 GHz, but my hard drives won't boot!

How in the world do you clock it so high and still have everything working?

Am I one of the unfortunate ones that got the motherboard with a low FSB wall??? I know it's not my RAM or Power Supply.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
This is a half done review. Was Tom's not able to get its hands on an E4300? 12 pages on what it takes to get high clocks on the E6300, and then just one line at the end of the article mentioning the E4300 and why it will be a better overclocking candidate. This is filler at best, published to compete with the other websites' E4300 coverage.

At least one good thing will come of this: Tom's will finally recognize the E6300 in it's cpu and HOPEFULLY AMD vs Intel price/performance charts. The excuse "We have not tested an E6300 and therefore do not know how it performs" was wearing mighty thin after six months.

Will it be another six months before Tom's reviews the E4300 and subsequently recognizes that it exists? :roll:

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Using the Core 2 Duo E6300 instead of the E6400 saves you $30, and we also recommend sticking with the default cooler that comes with the CPU. In our E6400 overclocking project we used a liquid cooling solution to provide maximum cooling for the processor, but the E6300 that we bought proved to be an even better overclocker, and doesn't require sophisticated cooling measures. The answer likely lies in the processor stepping: the E6400 sample was an F5 stepping, while the current versions are F6.

There you go. Whether they're serious or not, who knows...

I'm guessing they meant they used the stock cooler. *shudders*

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Go to Anandtech. They did a review on the 4300 and I must say, the results were quite interesting.

And not to be offensvie, but is your sig your main rig that you still use today??? 8O :oops:

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
This is what I was saying when the 8800 g card needs the fastest CPU write up. I said BS just for this reason. I do know what the story was saying, something different than the topic headline. Tom's hw also said the pc3 2000 Motherboard was the best board at the time and that too was bs and people bought the board and a few months later intel called back the chipset because of the MTH issue causing data errors. Even though nice right up again.

rquinn19

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Most people overclocking their E6300 with a good mobo and decent ram (look in my sig) already knew all this. My temp levels arent high 36 idle 65 is the highest i've seen and thats after orthos for a while and it only touches that and goes back down. And I have my vcore set at 1.4 in the bios and due to the vdroop its alot lower than that accourding to cpuz. I run mine at 3.33 24/7 and i had it stable higher than that but i dont see the point in running it any higher...its fast enough now.

I think some (not all) people replying in this thread are trying to justify why they paid so much more for theyre cpu. I dont have temp problems and i dont think my electric bill will suffer that much. iirc stock e6300 voltage is lower than stock e6700 voltages anyways.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Haha! Someone had a post about that the other day. So, you're highest is 65C, huh?

Run Intel TAT full load on both cores and then come back and tell me you're readings :wink:

Not trying to be mean or anything, but from what I read, you use Orthos and Prime95 to test stability. Use Intel TAT to find maximum heat dissipated when run at full overclock.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Yeh I think they forgot one small thing - TEMPERATURE. :?
I love how they do overclocking testing with a crap ass Zalman cooler. Remember when they clocked the 805 with a 9500 and it kept overheating? It would get so much higher on a Tuniq Tower.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
*Fuming initiated*

Yeh I think they forgot one small thing - TEMPERATURE. :?
I love how they do overclocking testing with a crap ass Zalman cooler. Remember when they clocked the 805 with a 9500 and it kept overheating? It would get so much higher on a Tuniq Tower.

Links for proof? :D

I agree though. I wish they would do overclocks using software that other people use when measuring temps. Remember the Core 2 Duo review they did before launch? Saying that their CPU idled at 20C or something like that! Yea, I said the same when I built my computer and jumped into the BIOS. And then someone told me about TAT and I looked into it. 20C my butt! I was in the 40s Celsius. AT IDLE! "Yea, use stock it'll be fine... pssh. My Pentium 4 Northwood 2.0A GHz FSB 400 idled at 41C and went to 60C. Then, I overclocked to 2.66 GHz FSB 533 and went to 45C idle to 65C load I think. All with stock. That sounds fine. *shudders*

Seeing my Core 2 Duo hitting near 65C...Goodbye to new build :cry:

Thankfully, I found this out before I started overclocking!

Can someone please inform TH to do overclocks with temp readings??? And use something that will accurately measure the temps?!

*Fuming completed*

:oops:

graham_cannon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Anybody else noticed this:

From the article:

We used Gigabyte's GA-965P-DQ6, which proved to be an excellent overclocker in our last P965 motherboard roundup.

From the motherboard roundup article:

The highest-priced Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 comes in second place based on features alone, but with performance and overclocking abilities taken into account, lands near the bottom of our list. We're at a loss to explain why this board provided the lowest stable overclock, given its massively-cooled 12-phase power regulator and extensive range of overclock settings.

Have I missed something here or is there a new P965 motherboard roundup on the way?

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Anybody else noticed this:

From the article:

We used Gigabyte's GA-965P-DQ6, which proved to be an excellent overclocker in our last P965 motherboard roundup.

From the motherboard roundup article:

The highest-priced Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 comes in second place based on features alone, but with performance and overclocking abilities taken into account, lands near the bottom of our list. We're at a loss to explain why this board provided the lowest stable overclock, given its massively-cooled 12-phase power regulator and extensive range of overclock settings.

Have I missed something here or is there a new P965 motherboard roundup on the way?
New F9 BIOS, silly.