Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi,

I'm having weird problems on my windows 2000 advanced server machine.
Everything is fine and then, after some time, when I start internet explorer
or any other app, I get an error about this app (any) that says "Application
failed to initalize properly (0xc0000142)" Even the task manager won't
start. If I close one running app or two, I am able to start apps again
normally, until the same problem shows up again, etc etc. Another thing that
happens is that when I try to open a mapped drive, I get this error
"Insufficient system resources to complete the requested service". And
again, if I close one app or two, I can open my mapped drive and I'll get
the same error again a couple of minutes later.
Anyone can help me out?
Thank you,
Alexandre

I found a MS Knowledge Base article that seems to be in line with this
problem. If you seem to have a set limit on the number of applications
that you can have running concurrently, adjust your "desktop heap"
parameters in the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\SubSystems

Modify the section that says "SharedSection=x,y,z"
X is the "system-wide" heap
Y is the "per-session" heap
Z is the "non-interactive" heap

These numbers are in kb.

When I modified mine I had to increase the Z parm, but for you I would
imagine it would be both X and Y.

MS says that if you increase the parms around 256 or 512 it should be
enough to run your apps.

I had a similar problem with one of my servers that was running a
nightly scheduled task that would open MS access and run a macro.
Problem was the script would never close access when it was done. I
ended up having 34 copies of access running before my scripts stopped
working.

Given I really didn't HAVE to adjust the heap parameters; just closing
the access instances would have done the trick. But it worked before I
found out I had all those programs running.

MS KB824422
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824422

Article references a problem with SQL server, but in reality it applies
to any program.

Joe

gabrielm6

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009

[...]

Hi, My settings about this release is :
%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,3072,1024 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3 ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off MaxRequestThreads=16

so : SharedSection=1024,3072,1024 : i think it could be enough .
But I still have the problem . Slowly growing the Pagefile size and appears the message like abow, What is on the matter and ending the apps . So I try to increase the RAM from 1GB to 2 or Higher (3GB) I hope it will close my problem .