Administrator Password Help

In trying to do the right thing to protect my computer, I decided to set up
an Administrator acount to control uploads and downloads. The problem is
that I forgot the Admin password and I have no idea how to reset or override
it. I have virus problems and need to be able to run Norton live updates.
Please help!

Sincerely,
Locked out
3 answers Last reply
More about administrator password help

    Try this link from Kelly's Korner:
    http://www.lostpassword.com/windows-xp-2000-nt.htm

    kquattry wrote:
    > In trying to do the right thing to protect my computer, I decided to
    > set up an Administrator acount to control uploads and downloads. The
    > problem is that I forgot the Admin password and I have no idea how to
    > reset or override it.

    Try http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ or
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

    You should also take a look at the recent postings before asking a question.
    This question has been answered plenty of times.

    kquattry wrote:

    >In trying to do the right thing to protect my computer, I decided to set up
    >an Administrator acount to control uploads and downloads. The problem is
    >that I forgot the Admin password and I have no idea how to reset or override
    >it.

    If that is 'an' Admin account, ie a user one with Admin status, this is
    where the hidden account called 'Administrator' comes in. Boot, hitting
    F8 as BIOS info goes to black to get the Menu and take Safe Mode. That
    should then at 'Welcome' include an icon for 'Administrator'; if not hit
    CTL-ALT-DEL twice to get a logon dialog, enter the explicit name
    Administrator
    and assume that password is null, so Enter immediately. From that,
    Start - Run and run
    control userpasswords2
    and you can select any user account and Reset Password

Microsoft Windows XP