9800 Pro and Vantec Iceberq heat issues, Help!

Gekin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Hey everyone!

I just got an ATI Radeon 9800 pro (128 MB) from a friend for 20 bucks (USD). He gave it to me so cheap because his stock cooler fan was crapping out (big surprise). I bought it and replaced it with the Vantex Iceberq VGA/chipset cooler kit (model CCB-A1C - http://www.pcabusers.com/reviews/iceberg/p1.html).

I used arctic silver 5 and I made sure that it was clean (mirror finish on the chip and the bottom of the copper heatsink) and the whole installation/swap was beautiful.

This is the fastest graphics card I've had (please don't make fun, I'm not as privilaged as the rest of you guys!) so I'm not that aware of how hot it should be.

My question is: how hot should the heatsink feel? When I touch it during idle/load it burns my finger. I have an IR thermal gun and the top of the card reads 50 degrees C and the copper heatsink itself reads from 45 to 55 (depending on the load). This obviously worried me alot because I'm starting to wonder if the heatsink is large enough or has enough surface area. It runs fine. I only noticed a bit of lag playing FEAR (with some minor artifacts).

The heatsink is rated for a 9800 pro (otherwise I wouldn't buy it)... but are these temps a bit too high? Any suggestions?

I really don't want to have to buy another cooler. So please, don't just tell me to get an ATI silencer or a new card.

Thanks in advance!

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
I'm not absolutely sure, but I think those temps you measured are fine. My 6600GT idled around 60 and kicked up even higher under load. My current X1800XT runs cooler than the 6600GT but still hotter than your temps.

If the card works properly and doesn't crap out after a hours of gaming, then I'd say you're fine.

Gekin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Thanks alot, Anoobis! I thought it was fine but I guess my concern was because I haven't had alot of experience with such high temperatures. So thanks for your input on the temps. Helps me feel alot more comfortable ;)