Start|Search|Files and Folders Will NOT work

There have been no, zero, nada, zilch reponses to similar previously-asked
questions, so, is this too simple a problem that no one deigns to offer help,
or is it too tough a problem that NO ONE has a clue what's wrong. One person
suggested Search by going into Safe Mode, but HOW would THAT solve the
problem for the long term. This is a genuine problem and definitely NOT a
zinger or gotcha.

Ok, so what happens when you try to use it? You don't say, instead of
providing clues so someone could try to help, you merely go off on a rant.

Next time you post try giving some clues as to what you are doing and
seeing as the folks here don't have a crystal ball and are all volunteers.

George3095 wrote:

> There have been no, zero, nada, zilch reponses to similar previously-asked
> questions, so, is this too simple a problem that no one deigns to offer help,
> or is it too tough a problem that NO ONE has a clue what's wrong. One person
> suggested Search by going into Safe Mode, but HOW would THAT solve the
> problem for the long term. This is a genuine problem and definitely NOT a
> zinger or gotcha.

Sorry you thought I was going off on a rant, but if you read what I wrote you
would have deduced without too much trouble that NOTHING happens. Clicking on
"Files and Folders" causes NOTHING to happen. How many more clues do you need?

"Bob I" wrote:

> Ok, so what happens when you try to use it? You don't say, instead of
> providing clues so someone could try to help, you merely go off on a rant.
>
> Next time you post try giving some clues as to what you are doing and
> seeing as the folks here don't have a crystal ball and are all volunteers.
>

> George3095 wrote:
>
> > There have been no, zero, nada, zilch reponses to similar previously-asked
> > questions, so, is this too simple a problem that no one deigns to offer help,
> > or is it too tough a problem that NO ONE has a clue what's wrong. One person
> > suggested Search by going into Safe Mode, but HOW would THAT solve the
> > problem for the long term. This is a genuine problem and definitely NOT a
> > zinger or gotcha.

Try this fix.

Actions such as search and drag and drop do not work because the default
access permissions have been changed in the Dcomcnfg.exe tool
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;274696

PS. In the future, remember "will NOT work" does NOT provide ANY useful
clues as to WHY it isn't working.

George3095 wrote:

> Sorry you thought I was going off on a rant, but if you read what I wrote you
> would have deduced without too much trouble that NOTHING happens. Clicking on
> "Files and Folders" causes NOTHING to happen. How many more clues do you need?
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>Ok, so what happens when you try to use it? You don't say, instead of
>>providing clues so someone could try to help, you merely go off on a rant.
>>
>>Next time you post try giving some clues as to what you are doing and
>>seeing as the folks here don't have a crystal ball and are all volunteers.
>>

>>George3095 wrote:
>>

>>>There have been no, zero, nada, zilch reponses to similar previously-asked
>>>questions, so, is this too simple a problem that no one deigns to offer help,
>>>or is it too tough a problem that NO ONE has a clue what's wrong. One person
>>>suggested Search by going into Safe Mode, but HOW would THAT solve the
>>>problem for the long term. This is a genuine problem and definitely NOT a
>>>zinger or gotcha.

Thank you, Bob I. I'll try the steps outlined in the link you sent.

"Bob I" wrote:

> Try this fix.
>
> Actions such as search and drag and drop do not work because the default
> access permissions have been changed in the Dcomcnfg.exe tool
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;274696
>

> PS. In the future, remember "will NOT work" does NOT provide ANY useful
> clues as to WHY it isn't working.
>

> George3095 wrote:
>
> > Sorry you thought I was going off on a rant, but if you read what I wrote you
> > would have deduced without too much trouble that NOTHING happens. Clicking on
> > "Files and Folders" causes NOTHING to happen. How many more clues do you need?
> >
> > "Bob I" wrote:
> >

> >>Ok, so what happens when you try to use it? You don't say, instead of
> >>providing clues so someone could try to help, you merely go off on a rant.
> >>
> >>Next time you post try giving some clues as to what you are doing and
> >>seeing as the folks here don't have a crystal ball and are all volunteers.

Your words imply you want help, yet your tone and style shriek "Don't
bother; I'm a git; I'll probably treat most answers with contempt." You
certainly put me off. Nevertheless, I'd suggest in the first place letting
us know what happens if you try:

- Windows key + f
- right-click a folder in Explorer and select "Search"
- ditto, but F3 instead

This is assuming you've restarted your PC and aren't having other problems,
which may indicate a common cause.

THOSE are some of the "clues" we need.

"George3095" <George3095@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry you thought I was going off on a rant, but if you read what I wrote
> you
> would have deduced without too much trouble that NOTHING happens. Clicking
> on
> "Files and Folders" causes NOTHING to happen. How many more clues do you
> need?
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>
>> Ok, so what happens when you try to use it? You don't say, instead of
>> providing clues so someone could try to help, you merely go off on a
>> rant.
>>
>> Next time you post try giving some clues as to what you are doing and
>> seeing as the folks here don't have a crystal ball and are all
>> volunteers.
>>

>> George3095 wrote:
>>
>> > There have been no, zero, nada, zilch reponses to similar
>> > previously-asked
>> > questions, so, is this too simple a problem that no one deigns to offer
>> > help,
>> > or is it too tough a problem that NO ONE has a clue what's wrong. One
>> > person
>> > suggested Search by going into Safe Mode, but HOW would THAT solve the
>> > problem for the long term. This is a genuine problem and definitely NOT
>> > zinger or gotcha.

Bob I, I followed the instructions (per the link you provided) to the best of
my ability and after repeating the steps a few times, Search For Files or
Folders would NOT work. But to digress, the Symptoms for which the
instructions were believed applicable read, in part: "If you point to Search,
and then click "For Files or folders, it does not work." were pretty much the
symptom I described of my problem and for which I caught a lot of grief. I
think this vindicates my simple language.

Back on track, though, I appreciate your sending the link, which at first
reading seemed tailor made but there must be something screwy with the
computer having the problem. If you think of another remedy, please let me
know.

"Bob I" wrote:

> Try this fix.
>
> Actions such as search and drag and drop do not work because the default
> access permissions have been changed in the Dcomcnfg.exe tool
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;274696
>

> PS. In the future, remember "will NOT work" does NOT provide ANY useful
> clues as to WHY it isn't working.
>

> George3095 wrote:
>
> > Sorry you thought I was going off on a rant, but if you read what I wrote you
> > would have deduced without too much trouble that NOTHING happens. Clicking on
> > "Files and Folders" causes NOTHING to happen. How many more clues do you need?
> >
> > "Bob I" wrote:
> >

> >>Ok, so what happens when you try to use it? You don't say, instead of
> >>providing clues so someone could try to help, you merely go off on a rant.
> >>
> >>Next time you post try giving some clues as to what you are doing and
> >>seeing as the folks here don't have a crystal ball and are all volunteers.

Humm, any response to "CTRL+F"?