Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive lookin' funny...

Last response: in Systems
January 11, 2007 4:04:15 PM

I just built my new system, and everything's lookin' good. Been running Prime95, passing with flying colors. There's one weird thing though. I have one hard drive and it's just plugged into the SATA 1 port. In my taskbar though, it's showing the hard drive as removable hardware. I saw the icon in my taskbar, and I was thinking, "Well, what the heck do I have plugged in that can be ejected and/or removed?" I take a look at it, and it's my hard drive. Any ideas why it would show like this?
January 11, 2007 4:34:43 PM

Because SATA drives are hot-swappable. There are some work-arounds if you don't want the removable devices icon to pop-up in your task bar.
January 11, 2007 4:55:16 PM

Yeah, it doesn't really bother me as long as it's all working ok. What are some of the workarounds just in case?
Related resources
January 11, 2007 5:01:13 PM

I had the exact same problem, but since everything was running fine I just ignored it, also i googled it and a lot of people have the same issue.. couldn't find any "workarounds" thoug
January 11, 2007 8:59:38 PM

Workaround:
Right-click your task bar and go to "Properties."
Put a check in the "Hide Inactive Icons."
Click "Customize..."
It shows the "Current Items" running in the task manager. Find the icon for removable devices.
Change it's "Behavior" to "Always Hide."
January 11, 2007 9:01:23 PM

Ah, I see. But what if you plug your iPod in and you don't eject it from iTunes? Can I still "safely remove hardware" if that icon isn't there?
January 11, 2007 9:25:38 PM

Quote:
Ah, I see. But what if you plug your iPod in and you don't eject it from iTunes? Can I still "safely remove hardware" if that icon isn't there?

just disconnect it.. it doesnt matter as long as nothing is being transfered to your ipod.
January 11, 2007 10:00:00 PM

Quote:

just disconnect it.. it doesnt matter as long as nothing is being transfered to your ipod.

That depends on whether there is anything in the buffer waiting to be written.

If you dont have the icon viisble then you can always rightclick the drive in 'MyComputer' and use the remove/eject option

Q
January 11, 2007 10:01:00 PM

Ah, there ya go. Thanks Q.
!