Sign in with
Your question

So what happens to my 1950x Pro when DX10 arrives?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 11, 2007 4:13:03 PM

will it benefit from any of the new features, will there be a new catalyst to make it compatable with some feartures,

will it be able to play crysis and look good?

or will it become a obsilite old card

More about : 1950x pro dx10 arrives

January 11, 2007 4:35:18 PM

Quote:

will it benefit from any of the new features, will there be a new catalyst to make it compatable with some feartures,

DX10, Shader Model 4.0 and other new video card features will not be able to be played on your X1950Pro, ever. However, the game Crysis will still look fantastic on DX9 and Shader Model 3.0. Your card is already "obsolete", if your definition of obsolete is something better is out. But it's still a great card, and Crysis will still look amazing, so just hold on to it for as long as you can.
January 11, 2007 4:35:42 PM

The card will work fine with all new games for a while, but it will not be able to take advantage of the benefits of DX10, which are reportedly going improve gaming tremendously (we'll see soon).

If I have read correctly, all games, for now, are backwards compatible with DX9. Your card can play the games, but you will be limited to what features DX9 have.

So, in short, you card will work, but will not work as well as the games written with DX10 could work.
Related resources
January 11, 2007 4:37:38 PM

Quote:
The card will work fine with all new games for a while, but it will not be able to take advantage of the benefits of DX10, which are reportedly going improve gaming tremendously (we'll see soon).

If I have read correctly, all games, for now, are backwards compatible with DX9. Your card can play the games, but you will be limited to what features DX9 have.

So, in short, you card will work, but will not work as well as the games written with DX10 could work.

It will still look good..
January 11, 2007 6:12:05 PM

Quote:

Well, games won't utilize DX10 right away, so the X1950Pro will still be good for a year.

Should run Crysis fine, probably not maxed out though.
January 11, 2007 6:20:09 PM

Quote:

It will run away, turn into a pumkin, only leaving behind one glass slipper. Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D 

You won't be able to use DX10 features, but games like crysis will still look and play nice. All the early game play demos were run using a DX9 card, and they looked amazing.
January 11, 2007 6:27:39 PM

and what about my 7900GS, (see sig.) so how will this card stand up to crysis?

will it look as good or anywhere near as good as in the screenshots or the videos of the gameplay?
January 11, 2007 6:41:57 PM

awwwww, my tft 20.1" @ 1680*1050 wont be abke to play it then with my 7900GS?, i take it later this yeer in about march the 8800GTS will come down in price giving me the excuse to buy one and play crysis at max?

i take it the 8800GTS/GTX will be able to play the game maxed out?
and what about my 7900GS (oced to a GT), how will it performe @ 1680*1050? very poorly? what do u think medium-max? low-medium?
and how much do u think the 8-series gpus will have droped in price?

Thanks
January 11, 2007 6:50:43 PM

Quote:
...as crysis has a lot of physics processing to make the game as real as possible. Quad core might even be supported by then, because of how detailed crysis and the other dx10 games will be.

I have heard several times that CryTek will be STRONGLY recommending dual-core processors to get the best performance out of Crysis due to the physics. I would guess that Crysis will be the first game to seriously benefit from dual\quad core procs

Quote:

Poll:
Crysis or Halo 3?

Crysis, no contest.
January 11, 2007 7:16:04 PM

During a hexus interview with some of the developers, someone asked if it would be optimised for quad core and he said no (this answer was recieved with by a bunch of boo's), but this was a while ago.

Crysis by far, are you kidding me? I not a big fan of games like unreal tournament and stuff like that; love the engines but not a fan. I see Halo just being geared towards that type of gameplay (holding down the trigger and running around like a idiot). If you like these games just keep in mind it's just my opinion.

As for you x1950, buy yourself a RD600 or something later and then buy a R600 and use your x1950 as a physics card. :D  Expensive yes, but you'll have yourself a great physics card.
January 11, 2007 7:17:38 PM

Quote:
awwwww, my tft 20.1" @ 1680*1050 wont be abke to play it then with my 7900GS?, i take it later this yeer in about march the 8800GTS will come down in price giving me the excuse to buy one and play crysis at max?

i take it the 8800GTS/GTX will be able to play the game maxed out?
and what about my 7900GS (oced to a GT), how will it perform @ 1680*1050? very poorly? what do u think medium-max? low-medium?
and how much do u think the 8-series gpus will have dropped in price?

Thanks

theres a cheaper version of the gts coming out in February. Same as the old one basically, only half the memory, and $100 cheaper.

New GTS

As for how crysis will run on your card, there will be 2 separate versions. 1 for dx9 and 1 for dx10. I'd imagine your card will run at or near max for that resolution with decent fps on dx9.

Even maxed out, it wont look nearly as good as the dx10 version though, since itll be able to do effects and lighting that your card cant duplicate.
January 11, 2007 7:18:33 PM

Like all things computer related, they are outdated as soon as you have to ask the question.

What will happen is: Sell the 1950 and get a 8800 or equiv.
January 11, 2007 7:25:03 PM

does this size of memory make a big-massive differnece? in games, 640 down to 320??? and that $300 is more my price range then 400/450+....

and how do u think it will performe with dx9 and dx10 games?
January 11, 2007 7:47:19 PM

Quote:
The new gts seems interesting, especially the nice price, but I don't think it can beat a $200 x1950xt after rebate when the xtx and the gts are on par and the xt performs just about as good when oc'd to the same speeds using the catalyst program

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
or the xtx for only $330 because of the gddr4 ram and the size of the ram(only 1550 mhz ram though, but it includes gddr4 meaning it can oc to those speeds no problem)

Can you give me a link to show an OCed 1950XT or XTX vs. the 8800GTS?

Also: I do not like open-box AND OEM cards.
Also, I see newegg has a deal for 8800GTS for around $376.
January 11, 2007 7:49:13 PM

Quote:
The new gts seems interesting, especially the nice price, but I don't think it can beat a $200 x1950xt after rebate when the xtx and the gts are on par and the xt performs just about as good when oc'd to the same speeds using the catalyst program

or the xtx for only $330 because of the gddr4 ram and the size of the ram(only 1550 mhz ram though, but it includes gddr4 meaning it can oc to those speeds no problem)

It may not beat it in a dx9 application (though I think itd be close), but it does offer you the ability to run games on dx10. Having th extra visual enhancements that come with dx10 will probbaly improve your gaming experience more than a few fps running in dx9 will.
January 12, 2007 3:11:08 PM

thanks, well thats good news, i was thinking it wasent going to play crysis lol.

thanks for the replys
January 12, 2007 3:44:24 PM

Halo 3, mate. Halo beats Crysis any day. Crysis only wins if you give if a flamethrower and has been taking stereroids for years, and Halo 3 is locked in a cage without guns or knifes.
-cm
January 12, 2007 6:56:57 PM

Not much because mostly likely 0 games will be out with the arrival that take advantage of DX10. They will arrive this year though.

will it benefit from any of the new features, will there be a new catalyst to make it compatable with some feartures?

It will benefit from none of the DX10 only features. It cannot be made "forward" compatible with a mere driver update, no.

It should be able to play Crysis and look pretty darn good at reasonable resolution and settings for your system.

or will it become a obsilite old card?

It won't become obsolete just because DX10 comes out. There will be few games in the near future that use much of DX10s new features and probably no game in the next 1-2 yrs at least that will require a DX10 capable card to run the game at all. You're fine with what you have for the time being. It will simply run off the DX9 code. When Required DX10 games come down the pipe you will have had a lot of time to save for that DX10 card upgrade.

Enjoy what you have, its a great card. Its not the BEST but far from the WORST there is to have right now.
!