USB ports suddenly stop

ziadramman

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Hello,
Hey guys, been facing a problem in the recent month, every 5-10 hours one (or all) USB port(s) just stop working, they drop out, and im forced to restart the pc (unsuccesfully), i have to hard reboot.

I dont know what could be causing this, no virus's etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

almartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Have the ports been setting idle for a while when it does this? If so check the settings and see if the USB ports are set to sleep or hibernate after so long.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

Another thing to help pin down the problem when that happens, is go to the 'Devices and Printer' page, and see if the USB device is listed in the lower area as a problem, unknown, or gives you an hardware error code. May help point you in the right direction.

As Al noted, it may not be a hardware problem since sometimes 'all' the USB ports act up.

ziadramman

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Hey guys, thanks for the replys.

The USB ports are NOT idle since im using them at the time of freezing. I went as you suggested to the Devices and Printers are, and there are no problems listed.

I think this might be a power issue. Does instability of power cause such things to happen? Or could be IRQ problem?

Thanks again.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Power (voltage or current) issues are like 'a silent killer' since they are transient and really hard to track down.

When you note a single USB not working, check in the Devices and Printers section to see if the OS flagged it as defective.
When you mention all USB ports quit functioning and you have to reboot, that speaks more to a system freeze rather than just the USB's There at next boot up, check the Event Viewer, Custom Views \ Administrative Events, to see if it logs a specific critical error.

ziadramman

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Hey guys, I purchased a new PSU, Thermaltake Litepower 600W, still happening.

Bluescreens with 0x000007f message, and keybaord/mouse dropouts. This is KILLING me.
5mz60w.png

Ive attached the error i keep getting.

Any help would be appreciated!

bonedealer

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Hi everyone there,i really need help with my usb port zzz.It went down and not working suddenly.The worst part is that without keybaord,how am i going to do the bios.plse help