Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Symantec Ghost 8 Problem - HELP

Tags:
  • Internet Explorer
  • Symantec
  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 1:12:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hi

Let me explain the setup of what I am trying to do.

We currently have about 80 machines that we have to Ghost (Symantec Ghost 8)
with different versions of Office, ie 97, 2000, XP and 2003. The machines
are split into 8 rooms.

At present I am trying to remote gohst the machines via a network and
mutlicast. This works on some models with no problems. The machines rename
themselves with unqiue names. However on one model, the image is copied onto
the machine successfully but then then when the machine reboots a message
similar to the following appears,

polling 123.123.123.123 to imageserver.

We have to hide the partition and rename the machines manually.

Any ideas, this is causing big problems. Anyone had experience of GHost
doing this?

D

More about : symantec ghost problem

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 1:12:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

From: "DMc2005" <davidmcnaughton_1999_nospam@hotmail.com>


| Windows 2000 is the operating system and it is from the network image server
| it is being run. no floppy disks are being used.
| The server can handle many images being copied at one as it works on one
| model of machines where we have 3 rooms of them.
|
| Sorry, It support is not my main job. I have followed the procedures i used
| for the working machines. Still cannot work out what is wrong, could it be a
| on board network card problem?
|

If I am to uderstand this correctly...

You have Ent. Ghost 8 on a Ghost server, Win2K. All workstations are Win2K and all
workstations have Ent. Ghost 8 installed. And you are trying to push an image ? An image
of a completely setup PC or a differential setup so you can push an application to the
workstations ?


--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 3:01:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

The same PC setup but a different version of Office installed. I think I
have also been responding to your posts in Google Groups, there might have
been something I have done different, as i had to manually add a network
card to ghost boot disk wizard, as it was not in the list, the machines that
work did not need this!

D
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
news:ec5N%23YXuFHA.3896@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> From: "DMc2005" <davidmcnaughton_1999_nospam@hotmail.com>
>
>
> | Windows 2000 is the operating system and it is from the network image
> server
> | it is being run. no floppy disks are being used.
> | The server can handle many images being copied at one as it works on one
> | model of machines where we have 3 rooms of them.
> |
> | Sorry, It support is not my main job. I have followed the procedures i
> used
> | for the working machines. Still cannot work out what is wrong, could it
> be a
> | on board network card problem?
> |
>
> If I am to uderstand this correctly...
>
> You have Ent. Ghost 8 on a Ghost server, Win2K. All workstations are
> Win2K and all
> workstations have Ent. Ghost 8 installed. And you are trying to push an
> image ? An image
> of a completely setup PC or a differential setup so you can push an
> application to the
> workstations ?
>
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 3:01:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

From: "DMc2005" <davidmcnaughton_1999_nospam@hotmail.com>

| The same PC setup but a different version of Office installed. I think I
| have also been responding to your posts in Google Groups, there might have
| been something I have done different, as i had to manually add a network
| card to ghost boot disk wizard, as it was not in the list, the machines that
| work did not need this!

So you are using a Ghost Boot Disk on the destination PCs. Then you are not booting Win2K
to access the Ghost Server. You are booting from a DOS (PCDOS or MSDOS ?) based Ghost Boot
Disk to acquire an fully setup imge from the Ghost server.

If that is the case, what exactly is the NIC in the affected PC and is this an embedded NIC
or a PCI card ?

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 7:09:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

The card is a SIS 900 model network card and from my understanding it is
onboard.

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> From: "DMc2005" <davidmcnaughton_1999_nospam@hotmail.com>
>
> | The same PC setup but a different version of Office installed. I think I
> | have also been responding to your posts in Google Groups, there might have
> | been something I have done different, as i had to manually add a network
> | card to ghost boot disk wizard, as it was not in the list, the machines that
> | work did not need this!
>
> So you are using a Ghost Boot Disk on the destination PCs. Then you are not booting Win2K
> to access the Ghost Server. You are booting from a DOS (PCDOS or MSDOS ?) based Ghost Boot
> Disk to acquire an fully setup imge from the Ghost server.
>
> If that is the case, what exactly is the NIC in the affected PC and is this an embedded NIC
> or a PCI card ?
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 1:46:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

From: "DMc2004" <DMc2004@discussions.microsoft.com>

| The card is a SIS 900 model network card and from my understanding it is
| onboard.

So it is an embedded chip-set. Are you using Crynwar Packet Drivers or NDIS drivers in the
..\NET directory ?

Do you have spare 3COM 3c905 NICs available ?

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 1:46:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hi
as far as i can tell we are using ndis drivers that come with the downaloded
from the sis.com website.

We are only using the buildin card on the machines and do not have any other
cards availalbe. There are about 40 machines of this type.

Is it becuase it is onbaord that the probelms are arising or is it becuase
of network driver!

This should work because we can run the ghost from floppy disk no probelm,
but are faced with the problem of having to use disks and rename the machines
is time we ghost them.

D


"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> From: "DMc2004" <DMc2004@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> | The card is a SIS 900 model network card and from my understanding it is
> | onboard.
>
> So it is an embedded chip-set. Are you using Crynwar Packet Drivers or NDIS drivers in the
> ..\NET directory ?
>
> Do you have spare 3COM 3c905 NICs available ?
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 4:08:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

From: "DMc2004" <DMc2004@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Hi
| as far as i can tell we are using ndis drivers that come with the downaloded
| from the sis.com website.
|
| We are only using the buildin card on the machines and do not have any other
| cards availalbe. There are about 40 machines of this type.
|
| Is it becuase it is onbaord that the probelms are arising or is it becuase
| of network driver!
|
| This should work because we can run the ghost from floppy disk no probelm,
| but are faced with the problem of having to use disks and rename the machines
| is time we ghost them.
|

I would have to say it is either a problem with the NDIS2 driver or a configuration problem
in PROTOCOL.INI

You might want to see if you can switch to Crynmwar Packet Drivers. I believe Ghost.EXE is
Packet Driver comopliant and actually uses a 'shim' to make NDIS useful for a packet Driver
compliant software.

You might also want to double check the .\ghost\WATTCP.CFG is configured properly and if it
is, when you boot off the Ghost Boot Disk you should be able to "ping" the IP address of
that PC from a Win2K PC.


--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 2:31:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Thanks i will give that a shot on monday.

D
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
news:eI3xjLjuFHA.1472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> ADDENDUM:
>
> I found the following information...
>
> http://support.ict-networks.co.uk/index.php?_m=knowledg...
> "Console Clone and Ghostwalk tasks either dont start or fail at the
> ghostwalk stage using
> SIS 900 NDIS Drivers (versions 1.09 to 1.16).
>
> Resolution
>
> Using the Ghost Boot Wizard, create a new template selecting Packet Driver
> and after
> selecting the sis900.exe set recieve mode=6 in the options page. Create
> boot discs and
> console partitions as necessary and make sure the client templates are set
> in the console."
>
> Attached is a ZIP file that has the README.TXT and SIS900.EXE Packet
> Driver.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 11:29:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

That solved the problem. I have one more issue that has developed. When i
reghost an image back to the image server i get the message about a NTFS
logfile that has not been flushed and checkdisk should be run. i have been
running it on the client machine but the message always appears!

not sure why.
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
news:o QeOlXsuFHA.3260@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> From: "DMc2005" <davidmcnaughton_1999_nospam@hotmail.com>
>
> | Thanks i will give that a shot on monday.
> |
> | D
>
> OK David.
>
> Let us know how it goes.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
>
>
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 11:29:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

From: "DMc2005" <davidmcnaughton_1999_nospam@hotmail.com>

| That solved the problem. I have one more issue that has developed. When i
| reghost an image back to the image server i get the message about a NTFS
| logfile that has not been flushed and checkdisk should be run. i have been
| running it on the client machine but the message always appears!
|

I figured the Crynwr Packet Driver would do the trick.

See, it wasn't a Win2K problem at all. I never thought it was.

The message "...NTFS logfile that has not been flushed and checkdisk should be run..."
Sounds like the platform was not shutdown properly after executing Sysprep and prior to
creating the Ghost image. It is basically telling you that running CHKDSK /F was warranted
on the source PC.

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
!