Event Log Errors - W2K-SP4

hunt

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

I've been experiencing a few problems with a W2K-SP4 machine, dual PIIIs', 2GB
RAM, Matrox G450, SCSI-160M (2-72GB HDDs).

In my Event Log, I get the following two errors. The first as a "Error," the
second as a "Warning."

"The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: Evian" (
System Control Manager)

"The value for the parameter DirectHostBinding to the browser service was
illegal." (Browser)

All of my Googling, has turned up only a few articles, and one is in Russian,
the others in an unknown language (foreign to me, as I am US English). I've
tried every variation of the error messages, with the same results, if at all.

My questions:

What is the Evian system-start driver? Where should it be located? How can I
secure a good copy of it, and install it correctly?

What SHOULD the DirectHostBinding parameter value be (Browser)?

I've run several Registry utilities, and none has found any errors. I don't
mind working on the Registry, but would really like a place to start. Any
thoughts, solutions, ideas?

TIA,
Hunt

PS, if this is not the right/appropriate NG, I apologize. Please direct me.

hunt

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

In article <dga0oe01ja0@news3.newsguy.com>, noone@hunt.com says...

>I've been experiencing a few problems with a W2K-SP4 machine, dual PIIIs', 2
GB
>RAM, Matrox G450, SCSI-160M (2-72GB HDDs).
>
>In my Event Log, I get the following two errors. The first as a "Error," the
>second as a "Warning."
>
>"The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: Evian" (
>System Control Manager)
>
>"The value for the parameter DirectHostBinding to the browser service was
>illegal." (Browser)
>
>All of my Googling, has turned up only a few articles, and one is in Russian,
>the others in an unknown language (foreign to me, as I am US English). I've
>tried every variation of the error messages, with the same results, if at
all.

>My questions:
>
>What is the Evian system-start driver? Where should it be located? How can I
>secure a good copy of it, and install it correctly?
>
>What SHOULD the DirectHostBinding parameter value be (Browser)?
>
>I've run several Registry utilities, and none has found any errors. I don't
>mind working on the Registry, but would really like a place to start. Any
>thoughts, solutions, ideas?
>
>TIA,
>Hunt
>
>PS, if this is not the right/appropriate NG, I apologize. Please direct me.

I have done a Search for "Evian" in the Registry, and it appears that this is
Evian.sys, a Promise Technology RAID driver. While my MB has the capability
for RAID, I do not have one installed on this machine. I have secured a copy
of Evian.sys from Promise, and will install it. I would, however, rather to
just remove any/all references from the Registry, as I will not be installing
a RAID on this system, but am a bit hesitant. Any suggestions/comments?

Hunt