Dumping my c2d

rynhrst

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
I have a e6300 c2d and im considering getting rid of it for a athlon 64 x2. Im wanting 2 know what is a good mb 2 pair a Athlon 64 x2 5000 with. It will be used for encoding movies and playing games so I want at least 1 pcie x16 slot and i enjoy oc so i want it to be a good overclocking board.

thanks for any help you can provide

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
reasons for dumping?

1. Clock for clock c2d manhandles X2.
2. It overclocks way better.

where did it go wrong on you?

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
reasons for dumping?

1. Clock for clock c2d manhandles X2.
2. It overclocks way better.

where did it go wrong on you?

I would have to agree, why replace the e6300 which can overclock like mad with something that is incapable of insane overclocks?

The e6300 put's any processor in AMD's line to shame when it's overclocked. I suggest you just get a good motherboard like the Asus P5B Deluxe and overclock your e6300.

It would make absolutely no sense to switch from a Core 2 Duo to any of the AMD processors at this time.

rynhrst

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
My computer randomly restarts which i have never had that problem with amd. As I said I do alot of encoding movies and the c2d is fast at it but i cant seem to get the same quality as i did on my athlon 64 3800. I understand that the c2d is alot faster but its just been a bad experience.

jthorn

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Great idea - AMD rules and I would be glad to help. Sell me your paltry E6300? I can give yu $350 for case, MB, CPU, and Ram. Is paypal OK?

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
good job, blame the processor. In the list of possible reasons, it has the last spot.

"My engine stalls....hmm...it must be that red coloured wire casing, not the gasoline or faulty gearbox, no no"

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Random restarts are nothing to do with your CPU my friend... if you are getting rid of 6300 for faster video encoding, buy an E6600.... 4 MB of cache will come in handy here

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
Random restarts are nothing to do with your CPU my friend... if you are getting rid of 6300 for faster video encoding, buy an E6600.... 4 MB of cache will come in handy here

very true, stay with c2d it is the best bang for buck today. oced will put any amd to shame :oops:

lcdguy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
if you do alot of encoding and really want an AMD system then perhaps you should look at building an opteron workstation instead of an X2. Before you go off and spend hundreds of dollars on a new setup perhaps you should check your powersupply. It could also be a faulty powersupply or power circuits. I would check those first. It could also be dirty power.

It's a shame some posters in here just can't answer your question and have to give you the business for wanting an AMD based system. What the f*ck do they care what processor you use.

I've read good things about the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe, the ABIT KN9 SLI, and the BIOSTAR TForce 590 SLI. Check out motherboards.org for some reviews, rankings, and good info on mobos in general.

Good luck!

horstmann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Go into your system properties/advanced tab/ startup and Recovery settings and uncheck automatic restart. Now when you computer wants to restart, it will give you a blue screen of death that gives you some information as to why it is locking up. Also go into computer management and see if there are any event logs that could be the problem, like a particular program starting and failing at the time when it restarts.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Ooh, take that chip off your shoulder dude. I did tell you that CPU is probablty not the main reason for restarts, didn't I? Please don't take out your frustration on others. You'll have to deal with the fact that things don't always happen/go your way. It's called life.

List of things that can cause random restarts
Lesson 241, page 5.

Motherboard
CPU
Memory
PSU
PCI Card
Video card
PCI E card
USB device
Driver
OS
Virus
Spyware
Software
Floppy drive
IDE Device
HDD
2nd HDD
3rd HDD....
Sound card
Settings
Supplied Power (i.e. from the outlet)
Thunderstorm
Power company
Internal wiring
Little kid
keyboard
mouse
CHIPSET
-------------------------
To be Continued

So then my next question would be what could be causing my random restarts
Many things can cause random restarts. The way you find the problem is by switching out parts to an alike system if possible. See if a part take the problem to the other system. You should end up finding your problem or find your PSU is under powered. You may find it hard to test some parts but for your GPU try maybe an old card. If this fixes the problem then you know its your GPU or PSU.

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I have a e6300 c2d and im considering getting rid of it for a athlon 64 x2. Im wanting 2 know what is a good mb 2 pair a Athlon 64 x2 5000 with. It will be used for encoding movies and playing games so I want at least 1 pcie x16 slot and i enjoy oc so i want it to be a good overclocking board.

The Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe is supposed to be one of the better overclocking motherboards for AM2, I like Gigabyte so I chose the GA-M59SLI-S5, it OC is ok and it is a stable board.

An Opteron will give you better overclocking potential and will perform better than a normal X2, it depends on how much better it is regarding the price difference.

As far as encoding movies is concerned, I would have to lean towards the people who are asking about the Conroe, that will encode movies faster than an AMD, maybe faster isn't allways better?

Good luck with whatever you choose to do, or not to do.

Dave262

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
A little while ago I built a c2d e6600 system with a gigabyte DS4, which turned out to be a total disaster. I too had a similar problem with random restarts. Just randomly (in particular under load) it would restart, although it wasn't heat related. I hadn't overclocked the system at all, the PSU was stable and supplying what the system needed, and yet i still had random restarts.

What seemed to help was updating the BIOS on mine, which eliminated most the restarts, although didn't completely solve it. I then found that the cause of the constant crash was due to the damn drivers for the ATI X600 Pro i had running, which I then replaced (after trying multiple versions of the driver of course). Problem solved.

In those situations with instant random restarts, definitely do follow what was suggested above by another poster which is to untick the "automatic restart" option, as this will give you an indication of the problem source. Personally I would recommend sticking with the c2d as they are very capable cpu's, and I have not been displeased with mine at all - especially encoding video. It takes about 5 mins to encode an entire DVD9 down to 4.7GB, which is in far cry to my old p4 which took 50 mins - 1.5 hours :D