Services status not updating.

Hi everyone,

I have a weird problem with 2 of my Windows 2000 SP4 servers. The
services mmc does not update correctly. When i stop a service the
service wil be displayed as stopping forever. The proces of the service
has stopped, as shown in the task manager, but now i cant restart the
service. Also installing a new service is impossible, when doing so the
message 'installing service' will be displayed indefinately.

Also stopping and starting a service through a commandline using net
stop and net start does not work. Here allso the stopping message will
be displayed until the message appears that the service did not respond
in a timely fashion. But starting the service using net start is allso
not possible because the message the service is stopping appears.

I tried to reinstall SP4 but that doesnt work either. The installation
will hang at "inspecting your current configuration". When logging on
to the servers and I log off, a message appears stating that the power
meter cannot stop and the session will only log off when I select "end
program now".

The servers have been rebooted several times. I tried checkdisk but no
disk errors appeared. Defragmentation did not solve anything either. I
tried SFC but that didnt do any good to solve this problem. Both
servers are in different geographical locations and not connected to
each other, but both showed these symptoms allmost at the same time. No
software is installed during that time and no changes were made. Both
servers funciton properly as file servers and users don't notice any
change in respons times. But I cant install any new services or stop
and start one for that matter.

Im running out of options. Does anyone have any suggestion for me what
could have caused this to happen and what i can try to resolve this
issue?
6 answers Last reply
More about services status updating

    Hi Dave,

    Ive downloaded the sc tool and ran it using NtFrs (has stopping state
    in services mmc) and this is the result:

    SERVICE_NAME: NtFrs
    TYPE: 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
    STATE: 3 STOP_PENDING (NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,ACCEPTS_SHUTDOWN)
    WIN32_EXIT_CODE: 1450 (0x5aa)
    SERVICE_EXIT_CODE: 0 (0x0)
    CHECKPOINT: 0x0
    WAIT_HINT: 0x0

    The NtFrs process is not visible in the taskmanager. I hope that this
    info can shed some light on this problem. Thanks for replying!

    Regards Dunne.

    From a command prompt you might try;
    sc query "ServiceShortName"

    to see what win32 exit code is generated. You can get sc.exe (service
    controller tool) here.
    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/reskit/win2000/

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Dunne" wrote:
    | Hi everyone,
    |
    | I have a weird problem with 2 of my Windows 2000 SP4 servers. The
    | services mmc does not update correctly. When i stop a service the
    | service wil be displayed as stopping forever. The proces of the service
    | has stopped, as shown in the task manager, but now i cant restart the
    | service. Also installing a new service is impossible, when doing so the
    | message 'installing service' will be displayed indefinately.
    |
    | Also stopping and starting a service through a commandline using net
    | stop and net start does not work. Here allso the stopping message will
    | be displayed until the message appears that the service did not respond
    | in a timely fashion. But starting the service using net start is allso
    | not possible because the message the service is stopping appears.
    |
    | I tried to reinstall SP4 but that doesnt work either. The installation
    | will hang at "inspecting your current configuration". When logging on
    | to the servers and I log off, a message appears stating that the power
    | meter cannot stop and the session will only log off when I select "end
    | program now".
    |
    | The servers have been rebooted several times. I tried checkdisk but no
    | disk errors appeared. Defragmentation did not solve anything either. I
    | tried SFC but that didnt do any good to solve this problem. Both
    | servers are in different geographical locations and not connected to
    | each other, but both showed these symptoms allmost at the same time. No
    | software is installed during that time and no changes were made. Both
    | servers funciton properly as file servers and users don't notice any
    | change in respons times. But I cant install any new services or stop
    | and start one for that matter.
    |
    | Im running out of options. Does anyone have any suggestion for me what
    | could have caused this to happen and what i can try to resolve this
    | issue?

    Hi,

    You haven't by any chance PowerChute 6.x UPS software (APC) installed
    on the computer?

    If so, upgrade it to v7 or uninstall it and see if that helps.

    PowerChute 6.x cases a lot of issues, much more than what is described
    here:

    CRITICAL UPDATE REQUIRED PowerChute Business Edition - Customers Using
    6.x Must Upgrade to 7.x due to Java Runtime Environment expiration
    http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202

    Microsoft have published a knowledge base article for this issue as well:

    System with APC Powerchute 6.x UPS Software gives strange symptoms
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555386/

    This is how you can disable the PowerChute service if you are unable to
    uninstall it:

    Start Regedit.exe

    Locate the key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBESERVER
    Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

    Locate the key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBEAGENT
    Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

    Reboot the computer.

    Regards,
    Torgeir

    Dunne wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have a weird problem with 2 of my Windows 2000 SP4 servers. The
    > services mmc does not update correctly. When i stop a service the
    > service wil be displayed as stopping forever. The proces of the service
    > has stopped, as shown in the task manager, but now i cant restart the
    > service. Also installing a new service is impossible, when doing so the
    > message 'installing service' will be displayed indefinately.
    >
    > Also stopping and starting a service through a commandline using net
    > stop and net start does not work. Here allso the stopping message will
    > be displayed until the message appears that the service did not respond
    > in a timely fashion. But starting the service using net start is allso
    > not possible because the message the service is stopping appears.
    >
    > I tried to reinstall SP4 but that doesnt work either. The installation
    > will hang at "inspecting your current configuration". When logging on
    > to the servers and I log off, a message appears stating that the power
    > meter cannot stop and the session will only log off when I select "end
    > program now".
    >
    > The servers have been rebooted several times. I tried checkdisk but no
    > disk errors appeared. Defragmentation did not solve anything either. I
    > tried SFC but that didnt do any good to solve this problem. Both
    > servers are in different geographical locations and not connected to
    > each other, but both showed these symptoms allmost at the same time. No
    > software is installed during that time and no changes were made. Both
    > servers funciton properly as file servers and users don't notice any
    > change in respons times. But I cant install any new services or stop
    > and start one for that matter.
    >
    > Im running out of options. Does anyone have any suggestion for me what
    > could have caused this to happen and what i can try to resolve this
    > issue?

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Torgeir is probably right on about the PowerChute service. Let us know.

    --

    "Dunne" wrote:
    | Hi Dave,
    |
    | Ive downloaded the sc tool and ran it using NtFrs (has stopping state
    | in services mmc) and this is the result:
    |
    | SERVICE_NAME: NtFrs
    | TYPE: 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
    | STATE: 3 STOP_PENDING (NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,ACCEPTS_SHUTDOWN)
    | WIN32_EXIT_CODE: 1450 (0x5aa)
    | SERVICE_EXIT_CODE: 0 (0x0)
    | CHECKPOINT: 0x0
    | WAIT_HINT: 0x0
    |
    | The NtFrs process is not visible in the taskmanager. I hope that this
    | info can shed some light on this problem. Thanks for replying!
    |
    | Regards Dunne.

    Hi Torgeir,

    Thats an interesting suggestion, I didnt think of that. Both the
    servers run older version of the PowerChute software so I consider this
    a real possibility. Im going to upgrade the software and post the
    results back in this topic. Thanks for the information!

    Regards Dunne.

    Also WIN32_EXIT_CODE: 0x5aa = "Insufficient system resources exist to
    complete the requested service"

    --

    "Dunne" wrote:
    | Hi Dave,
    |
    | Ive downloaded the sc tool and ran it using NtFrs (has stopping state
    | in services mmc) and this is the result:
    |
    | SERVICE_NAME: NtFrs
    | TYPE: 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
    | STATE: 3 STOP_PENDING (NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,ACCEPTS_SHUTDOWN)
    | WIN32_EXIT_CODE: 1450 (0x5aa)
    | SERVICE_EXIT_CODE: 0 (0x0)
    | CHECKPOINT: 0x0
    | WAIT_HINT: 0x0
    |
    | The NtFrs process is not visible in the taskmanager. I hope that this
    | info can shed some light on this problem. Thanks for replying!
    |
    | Regards Dunne.

Servers Windows