african_leopard

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Anybody aware when Intel will be dropping prices again on their CPUs? The Quad core is out now, so my assumption (wrongly or rightly :)) is that we can expect a drop in the price of all other Intel CPUs....

Thanks

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Anybody aware when Intel will be dropping prices again on their CPUs? The Quad core is out now, so my assumption (wrongly or rightly :)) is that we can expect a drop in the price of all other Intel CPUs....

Thanks

Hopefully, we won't see another one on mainstream CPUs. You can get an E6300 for UNDER $200 that is faster than the 965EE.

What more do you want?

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Hopefully we won't see price cuts? For who's sake? Poor retailers and AMD? :roll:

No price cut is expected until Q2, April-July or something.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
african_leopard, price cuts are coming in Q2, still a few months away.

Hopefully, we won't see another one on mainstream CPUs. You can get an E6300 for UNDER $200 that is faster than the 965EE.

What more do you want?

You are such a hypocrite Baron.

You claim Intel's prices are anti-competitive and driving ASPs down, yet in recent weeks we have seen AMD voluntarily drop the X2 3800+ all the way down to $130 and below. Where is your criticism of AMD for dropping prices so much? Why did the X2 3800+ not stay at the original $150 pricepoint? Since AMD is stretched for capacity and selling everything it can make, why the heck are they dropping prices even further? Is AMD being anti-competitive too?! :roll:

MikeGR7

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Easy man, don't attack the guy. He just said his opinion. By diging up his old positions you just flaming him and definetly not helping the subject we talk about. Every price drop is a good thing. Maybe we'll see a bit of prices after the lunch of Exxxx models.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Easy man, don't attack the guy. He just said his opinion. By diging up his old positions you just flaming him and definetly not helping the subject we talk about. Every price drop is a good thing. Maybe we'll see a bit of prices after the lunch of Exxxx models.

No, I'll attack him all I want because he is a hypocrite. He doesn't care for the consumer, he cares for AMD. Lower prices are better for all of us, it means competition is in full swing, and yet he lambasted Intel for it's 'low' C2D pricing relative to the the previous generation PDs, and yet Baron remains silent as AMD cuts the prices on the X2 3800+ down to $130, with no direct pressure from Intel at this price point (the cheapest C2D currently is the $183 E6300).

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

No, I'll attack him all I want because he is a hypocrite. He doesn't care for the consumer, he cares for AMD. Lower prices are better for all of us, it means competition is in full swing, and yet he lambasted Intel for it's 'low' C2D pricing relative to the the previous generation PDs, and yet Baron remains silent as AMD cuts the prices on the X2 3800+ down to $130, with no direct pressure from Intel at this price point (the cheapest C2D currently is the $183 E6300).

You make it sound like no one can get an affordable high end CPU. Intel's Q3 profits were down 55%. How can that be a good thing when a $300 E6300 is NOT a bad deal?

I hate that AMD is dropping prices and if you really paid attention you would have read the post where I said I hope AMD STOPS dropping prices.

Sure I love the fact that I can get an FX60 for $300, but this crazy price war is eroding profits all around and it's totally unnecessary.

AMD weathered the storm in pre-2000 and aren't going anywhere so Intel is just burning money for nothing. Since only 25% of the market can get Core 2 (it's 25% at most of Intel's current shipments) they are just making PD as valuable as your opinion in the world market.

Cutting your profits like that is NEVER a good idea.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
What more do you want?

Prices to go as low as possibly sustainable by the market of course.

Hey guys, I've got a new nickname for BaronMatrix:

The Green Baron

Do you guys approve? :lol:

They aren't sustainable by the market now. Every semi-conductor manuf is taking a hit now because X86 guides the market. Anand reported on this last quarter. When profits take a 55% hit someone is smoking crack in the leadership.

With PD prices steadily going towards $50, that huge inventory will just be another hit. Since Core 2 prices can only be artificially raised by OEMs, they are suffering because they have to keep the prices lower than the competition.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

But you're in the "AMD has to drop prices to compete since Core 2 is faster" crowd. When those benches hit in April anyone would have paid $300 for Core 2.

I have always said that every other new gen has pushed the old gen down while taking it's price position.

THIS DID NOT HAPPEN WITH Core 2. Intel undercut the hell out of 90% of their inventory in July. If X2 prices have to drop then ANY PD is worth no more than $75 compared to E6300.

That is killing Intel's profits.

End of Statement.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006

You make it sound like no one can get an affordable high end CPU. Intel's Q3 profits were down 55%. How can that be a good thing when a $300 E6300 is NOT a bad deal?

I hate that AMD is dropping prices and if you really paid attention you would have read the post where I said I hope AMD STOPS dropping prices.

Sure I love the fact that I can get an FX60 for $300, but this crazy price war is eroding profits all around and it's totally unnecessary.

AMD weathered the storm in pre-2000 and aren't going anywhere so Intel is just burning money for nothing. Since only 25% of the market can get Core 2 (it's 25% at most of Intel's current shipments) they are just making PD as valuable as your opinion in the world market.

Cutting your profits like that is NEVER a good idea.

Intel's profits dropped because they had to drastically lower Netburst prices even further in order for these to sell. Also the previous quarter did not have a large C2D presence, the vast majority of the CPUs sold were still Nerburst. Even today this is the case, though slowly C2D is ramping up and should overtake Netburst production within Q2.

Intel and AMD are still making substantial profits so I'm not sure why you're so worried about the lower ASPs.

*WE* as consumers benefit from lower prices and that should be all that matters at this point. If Intel or AMD thinks that the current prices are unsustainable, they have every right to raise them, but it doesn't look like that will be happening in the foreseeable future.

With AMD ramping up 65nm, they will be much better placed to weather the price war as well, so the current price war is really not all doom and gloom as you claim Baron.

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
This is an interesting point. Both companies are having a self-imposed revenue slump while unit sales are through the roof. Great for the consumer, at least for now. I usually keep a computer for 5 years (listen to the enthusiasts gasp!), but now I'm actually thinking of upgrading. For under CAN$400 I can replace my PD820/ASUS P5LD2 with a new E6300/P965 mobo and more than double the speed of my computer.

However, is there some concern about Intel and AMD's long-term strategy? If they're not making as great of earnings as they could be, does this mean that they will skimp on R&D for the future? Or will they simply hold back on more mega-mergers which are hardly ever good for the consumer? If it's the former, too bad. If the latter, I see no reason to dump on the current party.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006

But you're in the "AMD has to drop prices to compete since Core 2 is faster" crowd. When those benches hit in April anyone would have paid $300 for Core 2.

I have always said that every other new gen has pushed the old gen down while taking it's price position.

THIS DID NOT HAPPEN WITH Core 2. Intel undercut the hell out of 90% of their inventory in July. If X2 prices have to drop then ANY PD is worth no more than $75 compared to E6300.

That is killing Intel's profits.

End of Statement.

Intel is trying to get rid of excess Netburst inventory, but they can't afford to sell them at a loss, so current PD prices are probably as low as they'll ever be before they disappoear off the market for good.

You fail to realise that the Pentium brand name is deeply entrenched in the general publics minds. Just remember that the vast majority of people are not computer enthusiasts, and are still stuck in the 'higher clockspeed is better' mentality. They see the clockspeed on the PD and compare it to C2D and think, why pay the same amount for a lower clocked processor?

It is a shame that Intel is preying on the ignorance of the general public in order to sell its obsolete tech, but thats the way business goes.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Nope, this is Baron's same insane logic that is simply ridiculous....

Baron chastises Intel for releasing the C2D and causing all the other products, especially AMD's, to be devalued. If you read enough of his posting he argues, ineffectually, that Intel should never have released C2D at such low prices.... this is because it is hurting AMD ASPs significantly.... he is correct that it also severly devalues the P4 line, as it should --- this is just natural cycle of introducing new, higher performing product.

In the end, his dreams of a sub $300 5000+ have come true, not because of AMD's good charity, but directly because of C2D.

Read enough Baron and you will see what Epsilon is talking about.

jack

I would think that you would get tired of twisting my words. Intel should have released a faster arch. They should have slotted it into the proper price points and just dropped PD but there were and ARE PDs that are INCREDIBLY SLOWER THAN E6300 THAT COST A LOT MORE. Including the 955/965EE.

Presler's are still selling higher than E6300 for the most part (I can assume you won't recommend those either). Maybe they shouldn't have put out so many SKUs and they wouldn't have these problems.

:idea:

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
I would think that you would get tired of twisting my words. Intel should have released a faster arch. They should have slotted it into the proper price points and just dropped PD but there were and ARE PDs that are INCREDIBLY SLOWER THAN E6300 THAT COST A LOT MORE. Including the 955/965EE.

Presler's are still selling higher than E6300 for the most part (I can assume you won't recommend those either). Maybe they shouldn't have put out so many SKUs and they wouldn't have these problems.
:idea:

Baron, what do you expect Intel to do, throw millions of Netburst chips into the trash can?!

They are ramping up C2D, but it will take another quarter before crossover of Netburst/Core2 production.

In the meantime, they have to sell Netburst and Core2 concurrently. Inevitably, there will be overlap in the pricing, you can't expect Intel to suddenly devalue the entire Netburst line to sub $100 bargain bin status.

Like I said, it's a shame Intel is milking dollars off ignorant consumers who don't know better, but as long as people are still buying Netburst CPUs, I doubt Intel will drop Netburst prices any further. Netburst chips actually received a significant price drop not long ago, but due to the popularity of Core2 it received little coverage on enthusiast forums such as this one.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
That price for the X2 3800 might be the best price point. Otherwise, the price to performance might not be as good as the 6300. You won't hear me complain, that is pretty damn cheap for a good dual core cpu.

wes

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
That price for the X2 3800 might be the best price point. Otherwise, the price to performance might not be as good as the 6300. You won't hear me complain, that is pretty damn cheap for a good dual core cpu.

wes

LOL, I'm with you, $130 is a darn good price for an X2 3800+. Previously all 'budget' dual cores were occupied by the PD-805/820, AMD should be commended for pricing it at $130 as now people (at least tech savvy ones ;) ) will have NO reason to buy hot and underperforming Netburst crap. 8)

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
It's just amazing, the X2 3800 was priced at more than double this price around 6 months ago? Jack, how much net profit could they be making at that price? Are they dropping the price because at a higher price they don't sell well enough in comparison to other chips? I am just curious why they dropped the price if they are selling everything they can produce.

wes

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
It's just amazing, the X2 3800 was priced at more than double this price around 6 months ago? Jack, how much net profit could they be making at that price? Are they dropping the price because at a higher price they don't sell well enough in comparison to other chips? I am just curious why they dropped the price if they are selling everything they can produce.

wes

In fact, AMD and Intel both sell their CPUs at competitive prices in the mid-range market.

In Q1, the price of P-D 930 is more than $200 and x2 3800+ is still faster. Why AMD would price it at $130?

But now x2 3800+ is slower than E4300 which will be priced at $163.
So AMD has no choice but lowering the prices :wink: