Can't find Outlook on desktop pc

April 7, 2005 5:09:02 PM

I just bought my first handheld and am having trouble already.
Instructions said to install Outook 2000 and Active Sync on the
desktop. Using the provided CD I did that. I used the "open"
command on the installation. It went thru its thing and said
Outlook was installed. Then I did the same thing for Active Sync
and it installed. Now the problem: I can find and open Active
Sync, but Outlook 2000 is no where to be found. I've looked
everywhere, doing a Find throughout my C drive. Have searched
for "outlook", "2000", "oe" as part of filenames and got nothing
that was Outlook. I've never used Outlook, always using Outlook
Express for email. There is no desktop icon installed, and
nothing under Programs that would indicate I have the Outlook
program. Tried installing a couple more times with the same
result. Then I tried the "Save" command and it copied
"setup.exe" to a folder I had designated, but nothing else. When
I double-click on setup.exe I get an error message that it's
looking for a setup.ini file which it can't find (there are
several on the CD, but they didn't copy over to my harddrive).

So my question is: do I really need Outlook 2000? And if so, can
someone please tell me what to do to get this installed on my
desktop?

Thanks for your help!
Kathy

More about : find outlook desktop

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 5:09:03 PM

You would need outlook to handle the PIM data - have you
tried activesynching your PPC?

xfiler.

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 5:32:05 PM

Yes. I get an error that says it can't find Outlook data. Since I
never used Outlook and don't plan to (on the desktop), do I
really need to fool with this? I can read my email online if I
have to, and I use other software for notes, etc. that I probably
won't synch either. Do I understand right, that I can transfer
Word docs back and forth? That's really all I want to do.
Kathy

"xfiler" wrote in message
> You would need outlook to handle the PIM data - have you
> tried activesynching your PPC?
>
> xfiler.

April 7, 2005 5:32:06 PM

Kathy - what version of windows are you using? Xp? When
you insert the installation CD from your new PPC into
your computer, does a box come up with the option to
install - Activsynch, Outlook, etc. If so, click on
Install Outlook. If you get a prompt, you would want
to "Run from this location" to install outlook.

HTH

xfiler

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 6:52:41 PM

Well......I'm using XP. After fiddling with the installation for
the past hour, I finally got it installed. I went to "Add/remove
programs" in the Control Panel and it had said it was installed
but I sure couldn't find it. So I clicked on the Change/Repair
button and it came up with a directory. Outlook had a big red X
in front of it. So when I right-clicked that I got an option to
remove the red X and "install on first use". Once I did that,
Outlook popped up and all is well now. Whew! Glad to get over
that problem. Now onto the next....LOL.

"> Kathy - what version of windows are you using? Xp? When
> you insert the installation CD from your new PPC into
> your computer, does a box come up with the option to
> install - Activsynch, Outlook, etc. If so, click on
> Install Outlook. If you get a prompt, you would want
> to "Run from this location" to install outlook.
>
> HTH
>
> xfiler

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 6:52:42 PM

Glad you are up and running - have fun!

xfiler

Anonymous
April 8, 2005 12:20:45 PM

Kathy Tabb astonished the world with this remark:

> Since I
> never used Outlook and don't plan to (on the desktop), do I
> really need to fool with this?

You can use other PIM_software as well if you like. But you'll have to
look for matching syncing-programs. Activesync only cooperates with
Outlook (and that does not mean only the 2000-versions).

If you want to use another piece of software to handle your appointments
and contacts on your desktop you might take a look at intellisync, they
have several modules to cooperate with a variety of soft- and hardware.
--

SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com

(just remove the spamstatement