GaBe_LoGaN

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Hi, I'm going to build a new C2D system. Could someone tell me if P5B motherboards are good overclockers? I'm wondering what differences has P5B over P5B_VM, only 6€ in price, worth it?

This is what I'm thinking to build:

C2D E6600
P5B (some kind)
GeForce 7900GS (I heard that ATi's 1900GT or 1950pro is better, but 7900GS is a great overclocker, and I'm from the green team :p) And some other parts.

Any suggestions?

If you are considering a P5B series motherboard for overclocking, you don't want either the plain P5B or the P5B-VM. For overclocking, go for the P5B-Deluxe, P5B-Deluxe/WiFi, or P5B-E Plus. You can also go with the middle-of-the-road P5B-E. It's not as good as the Deluxe, but better than the vanilla P5B (or so I've read, not from personal experience).

I don't have any experience with the P5W. It looks like it is an excellent board though. Before you make your decision, maybe you should check out wusy's overclocking guide for core 2 duo's: Core2Duo Overclocking Guide v1.1

Right at the beginning, the following boards are recommended:

-Abit AW9D series (975X)
-ASUS P5W DH series (975X)
-DFI Infinity or LANParty 975X/G
-Abit AB9 series
-ASUS P5B* Deluxe/WiFi-AP (965P)
-Gigabyte 965P-DS3 or DS4 or DQ6

*P5B vanilla is not recommended
**nForce590/570 Intel Edition based motherboard will not work with this guide nor recommended for overclocking**

I would suggest going with any of the above mentioned boards if you are interested in overclocking, though my experience is limited to the P5B-Deluxe/WiFi.

Phillip

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
Hi, I'm going to build a new C2D system. Could someone tell me if P5B motherboards are good overclockers? I'm wondering what differences has P5B over P5B_VM, only 6€ in price, worth it?

This is what I'm thinking to build:

C2D E6600
P5B (some kind)
GeForce 7900GS (I heard that ATi's 1900GT or 1950pro is better, but 7900GS is a great overclocker, and I'm from the green team :p) And some other parts.

Any suggestions?

Two different animals. One is uATX form factor and the other is a "normal" ATX motherboard. I have the P5B-VM for my HTPC system. It's a fine board. If you're in need of a full size motherboard, the P5B-VM is NOT what you want.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I was in the same sitch as you. I went with the P5B deluxe, partly due to price, but also based on reviews of the P965 chipset. The only drawback is the P965's can be a little picky on the memory you use. Performance-wise, they are comparable. Also, it is quad-core ready if you upgrade in the future. Here's a good reference article:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2860